A tragic reminder | FerrariChat

A tragic reminder

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bhill121, Dec 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bhill121

bhill121 Karting

May 21, 2005
    Coto De Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Hill
    #1 bhill121, Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A couple of nights ago just down the street from my home, a 16 year old girl was racing her boyfriend down Coto Drive, she lost control of the car and slammed into a tree, she died at the scene. This is the reason racing should be left on the track. The impact was so great that the rear wheels are suspended in mid air.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alfa63

alfa63 Rookie

Aug 29, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Steven L.
    It is sad. I read about this in the OC Register and they didn't mention the racing part.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    16 years old shouldnt be driving cars like that alone ; looked like a Jetta V5 ?

4. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    thats where parents judgement comes in.

i suspemct her parents bought her that car (judging from the area) and whether she was driving a jetta, a geo metro, or an enzo. 60mph is 60mph.

notice how all the side airbags deployed, and she still died? maybe that tells something about the speed that she was going at the time of impact. which last time i checked was unsafe for any 16 year old (won't even mention the girl thing, because i doubt a boy could have handled the situation any better)

and i thought you had to be 17 to get a license (just changed IIRC)

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    nah... I got my license when I was 16 in California... And that was 18 years ago.

6. gbrown37

gbrown37 Formula 3

Feb 15, 2005
    San Diego/UCSB
    Full Name:
    Garrett
    nope. got my license a year ago the 31st. i got it late because of schedule conflicts and stuff but you can get it at 16

7. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Whew!

Very tragic to hear about this stuff. Always brings a sad note. Best regards to her friends and family.

8. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    Yikes. I just came from Coto tonight. Were told by my friends to take it easy on the drive home referencing this story.

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is CA like PA whjere you can get your permit at 16 and then have to wait 6 months and within those 6 months drive 50 hours with your parents and then go for your license? So i got my permit November 3 years ago and got my license on May 2 years ago.

10. LOUISR1

LOUISR1 Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Louis R.
    As a parent, you always beleive your kids when having to make a choice, will make the right desicion.

Sad, very, very sad.

11. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    How tragic, imagine how the guy feels, his gf is dead after such a stupid decision. I very rarely drive excessivly when I have passengers, I think about situations just like this, its not something I want.

12. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I think it is something like you drive 50hours or someting with a certified instructor? This is before you take your on road test. Then when you get your permit at 16 you can only drive with adults and not in the dead of night.

13. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    In CA, you can get your permit @ 15.5 years old. A learner's permit allows you to drive with your parents in the front passenger seat. You can get your license after you've had your learner's permit for 6 months. In those first 6 months, you can't drive with anyone else in your car(unless it is a sibling). In the first year, you're not supposed to drive between 12am-5am without a parent in the car.

^A sad story irregardless of the facts I stated above.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't think 16 year olds should be driving period. The age needs to be 18. If I'm not mistake California did changed the driving age to 18 for people born after a certain year.

I also think that over a certain age, maybe 60 years old, you should get retested every year or two. Old people on the road are just as dangerous as teenagers, if not more.

15. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Children born after 1990 will have to wait until 18 years of age to get licensed in the state of CA.

I was told by a fireman friend of mine that he thought that the parents of the girl had been warned the prior week of her excessive speeding around Coto. Still very tragic!

16. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That is tragic. I feel sorry for the family and boyfriend.

In all seriousness though, noone should be driving at that age. I hated that I had to wait till I was 17 in NJ to get my license (but it is restricted until you turn 18. No more than one person besides family, driving after 12, etc.) But when I look back at it, kids should not be driving. I couldn't imagine being 16 and just in high school being allowed to drive alone. I had two of the best drivers/teachers (my parents), and I've had plenty of close calls but have learned my lesson.

I've heard that Germany has very strict rules to getting a license. How come we don't adopt some of them?

17. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Having had my liscence, and many close calls at a young age I do agree that more restrictions should be implimented. I mean I got my liscence and I didn't even pass the parallel parking part, altough the guy let me pass cuz I had a Ferrari hat, true story my friends. In fact I still dont think I can parallel park.

But tougher restrictions should not be limited to youth drivers, many adult 'experienced' drivers are lacking in basic skills. Think about it, tougher liscence restrictions could result in lower insurance costs. That's my opinion.

18. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This is a sad story ... read about it in the Register. Unfortunately, the story does not mention anything about reckless driving ... only tells about how well liked she was. The article should have made more emphasis on the driving failure. As I understand it, young drivers (16-18) have the same accident rate as over 85yr olds!! But try to tell them that!!

19. asds3x

asds3x Karting

Oct 11, 2004

Not a big surprise , she was upper middle class and white. If it was a minority or poor the articles would have screamed street racer or "ricer".
    A few months ago 2 morons were racing each other on Barranca Parkway(Irvine) in their Corvettes. They crashed into each other at Barranca and the 133. They finally stopped almost a block away (police estimated their speed at 90 plus). I saw the tail end of the crash. Once again the news articles said they crashed while "driving" into each other (white guys in their 40's as opposed to minorities).

Even in the car forums some dumbass crashes doing something stupid in whatever brand of car the forum is about it's mostly justified but if it's a kid or a "ricer" he or she gets slammed to hell and back.

Pretty sad ,double standards. For the record my heritage is Deutsch. None of this minority stuff affects me but it's still sad in this day and age how stuff like this still goes on.

20. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian

Get use to it, its never going to go away. Unfortunately some people cling to their prejudices, and sometimes those people also control the media.

21. 3tjohn

3tjohn Rookie

Dec 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    john
    couple of nites ago by my uncles house somebody died also but this time it was the bf driving the car -INTOXICATED- killed his 15yr old gf and also hit a tree :( so sad to die at a young age for some stupid reason

22. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Heartbreaking! My condolences to family and friends.

23. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Sad event and my prayers are to her family. For those of you who have kids around that age or kids that will be soon here is my advice as I am 18 now. You do need to hold a permit for 6 months and have 50 hours of supervised driving, 10 of which at night. Parents sign off that this was done. Also the driving training and behind the wheel. You can get your permit when you are 15. Have them get it a month after they turn 15. That will give them at least 11 months of driving experience with you at their side. Believe me, this makes a huge difference. You are doing your kids a disservice by not letting them get as much experience as possible with you instructing them. 50 hours is not enough. A lot of people bring up the point that kids are not mature enough at 16 to drive alone. For many kids this is true and they should not have a license. For others it is not. I would encourage you to give your kids the best training and experience behind the wheel you can. When Friday night rolls around whether they have their own car or are borrowing yours, try and encourage them to drive. Kids will always drive with other kids. My parents always encouraged me to drive because they felt some relief that I was the one behind the wheel as I was a good driver. Lastly if you can, before or soon after they get their license, sign them up for a car control clinic run through one of the Raceways or schools. This is not a class that teaches them how to control a car at speed, it teaches them what to do if the car spins, emergency braking and most importantly scanning.

Anytime a young person is killed whether they were doing wrong or not it is a tragic thing in my opinion.

Joe

24. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    It aint a video game, where if you loose control that tree will just get taken out like a sign post. that tree is not even bent!

I agree with oc speed junkie, better than to let your kid be driven by someone else that might be drinking or racing, is better for him to drive himself and to be taught correctly

my condolences