Where is my fuel filter?? | FerrariChat

Where is my fuel filter??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donald, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    My car started running a bit rough. I am embarrassed to admit I ran out of gas last weekend and think the fuel filter may need to be replaced. My wife was very unhappy with me since we were stuck on an overpass in downtown Dallas for 30 minutes until a friend arrived with gas. Every single car that passed by had to stare and one person even said "you should have bought a Porsche"!!

Anyway, does anyone know where the filter is and can a somewhat handy guy like myself change it? I have changed it before in my boat. I searched the site with no luck. Thanks.

2. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    FYI I drive an 86 328 GTS.

3. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    Unpon closer inspection I think I found it right behind the driver's side firewall. Question is, how do I get to it so I can remove it? It was replaced a few thousand miles ago but since I ran out of gas and it runs rough I plan on replacing. Is there anything wrong with this logic?

4. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    #4 Mark 328, Dec 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Donald:

With the way a jetronic system uses fuel pressure to operate, it may take a while get all the air out of the system. Have you driven the car much?
    Your problem may be with the fuel strainer in the driver's side tank. With only 3,000 miles, the canister fuel filter is probably not your problem (there is a lot of surface area in this filter.
    Does the fuel pump make any additional noise? A clogged strainer will cause the fuel pump to cavitate and make more noise.
    The strainer can be removed and cleaned. If you decide to drain the system and clean the strainer, you should probably change your fuel tank crossover sleeves and the fuel filler hose.

Attached is a picture of the strainer "coming out".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have driven it about 50 miles since I ran out of gas. I run Techron through the fuel every 4 tanks. The strainer may be part of my problem. Is it fairly easy to get to?

6. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Yes, the strainer is easy to get to, but you have to drain all the fuel.

If you send me an email, I'll send you back a clearer picture.

Mark