wax and polishing tips | Page 2 | FerrariChat

wax and polishing tips

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by schackman, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG3

TG3 Karting

Mar 27, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Teddy Solomon III
    Is the ps21 really the best? I had bought the entire Zaino kit, but until I had the time I just got some Mequiers Tech Wax to use real quick. I was pretty surprised with the results. It seems to bond to the paint really well and it did a pretty surprising job on those swirls too. Is ps21 really that much better? I never did the Zaino stuff because the clay bar step and there crappy directions for it scratched the sh*t out of my formerly perfect paint job and is now going to require the use of a machine when I never wanted to have to let anything but my hands touch it!

Teddy

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Automotive clay doesn't scratch unless the paint was not clean, there was no lubricant/not enough used, or you used pressure.

Also, keep in mind the clay is removing wax/polish buildup, so as you're claying the surface, you're removing these products from the swirls or grooves in the finish and there is the potential they will become more visible.

This is the first time I've heard of clay scratching the finish that requires compounding and/or machine polishing to remove.

I use the Meguiar's Tech Wax myself because my car is a daily driver with lots of miles. I need durability, easy to acquire, apply, remove, and water resistance. P21S is an excellent product and I highly recommend its use for the "weekend cars."

Sunny

P.S. If the paint was perfect, why did you need to clay?

3. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    Great thread. What is wrong with adding a sealant, like Klasse, M20, M21 or NXT even for its ease of use, mild cleaning and great filling properties, and then topping that with PS21 for even deeper gloss, and longer protection? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds, deep shine and durability? I've seen it done before, but yet to try it myself.

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Brian, let me offer you a different perspective for a minute. Forget about all the stuff you have read here, you will eventually anyway. This is the science of painted metal surface prep and care and has very little to do with Ferrari but rather the time consuming and totally indulgent passion of cleanliness aligned with perfection. You could the same with a Subaru and it would look as good. Unless you bought this car in order to clean it (quite an interesting concept really) just keep it clean (no more than a one hour job) and drive the sucker. Spend the other 26 hours it takes to to do all this exotic surface adulation with your family, loved ones or even, dare one say it...driving !

5. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Top Gun Aircraft sealant - Available at Aircraft Spruce (877)477-7823

6. buggravy

buggravy Karting

Jul 29, 2004
    Encino, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can't vouch for the Zaino products strongly enough (with the exception of the Z-8 detailing spray). While I don't have a black car, or F-car for that matter :-(, my color is called black cherry pearl, and Zaino does amazing things with it. I have amazing depth, and not even the slightest hint of swirls. I follow all the tips on their website to a T.

7. buggravy

buggravy Karting

Jul 29, 2004
    Encino, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    One other thing to add re: Zaino. While their appearance may not have ranked first in the survey referenced above (I believe it was 2nd or 3rd), I'm going to guess that was based on 1 coat. Unlike most waxes where you get build up after a couple of coats, the Zaino waxes molecularly bond to themselves, so you can add seemingly infinite coats, thus adding depth with each additional application.

8. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I use Zaino as per Sunny's and my buddy Tony's advice on my black 430 and it is fabulous .I have put 10 coats of Zaino on in 4 months (who is anal?) and the car is swirless and gorgeous.
    After the initial "Dawn wash" and the Z1 and Z2 application each subsequent Z2 polish takes about 45 min.

9. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There have been excellent responses to this question.

I usually always detail my own cars unless there is an issue that requires professional polishing.

The P21s is really a much easier approach compared to Zaino. I know alot of people are passionate about zaino, but to me, it wasnt worth the initial efforts.

There is also a new tire dressing available through EagleOne. It comes in aerosol and is by far better than its competitors on the shelves. Leaves a shiny yet silky look to the tires.

Also on your rims, P21s makes a pretty gentle and safe rim cleaner. Some rim cleaning solutions, including Eagleone A-Z is good, strong, but may be too harsh on the rim finish. Over time it could cause problems.

On the microfiber towels, you should purchase quality towels. There are different grades. I usually buy mine through detailersparadise.com

10. buggravy

buggravy Karting

Jul 29, 2004
    Encino, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm not too far behind, with 8 coats in 4 months. I generally apply 2 coats per detailing session, and each time I tell my wife "I'm done now". But it's addicitive. I just want to see how far I can take it. The difference after coats 7 and 8 was phenomenal. I'm going to have some extra time on my hands over the holidays, so I'm hoping to delve well into double digits.

11. Superior Shine

Superior Shine Karting

Jul 4, 2006
    Arcadia, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #36 Superior Shine, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017