Smog -- Test Only Center | FerrariChat

Smog -- Test Only Center

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by 98TDFSpider, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Any recommendations for a Test Only Center in Santa Clara County that might be used to F-cars?

2. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    TDFSpider - I just had my 1998 F355B smogged here:

AAA Speedy Smog
    135 N. Wolfe Rd in Sunnyvale

It's a Test-Only station. Driveways into the shop area are F-car friendly.

$56 + $8 cert.

Only one word of advice, if your car has had its codes cleared, or if the battery was disconnected for an extended span of time (and lost its codes), make sure you drive around for at least 50 miles so the computer has a chance to complete certain driving cycles. I didn't do so, and had to do the test twice because while it passed the emissions (tailpipe) tests, the OBD-II test showed as "Not Ready."

Unfortunately, this fails the car, and the report was transmitted to the CA DMV :(. I drove the car around for a little over a half hour and came back for a retest. Passed with flying colors the second time around ... but it will show a "Failed Emissions Test" in its carfax in the future -- followed by a pass forty minutes later.

3. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Thanks -- I'll take it there. I haven't disconnected my battery, so the OBDII codes should be good to go. I just had it smog checked two years ago, hard to believe it is necessary it do it every two years. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

4. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Nizam: It passed. I paid the extra $20 to first have the OBDII checked, as I figured that was worth it rather than go through the whole thing like you did only to find at the end that the on-board computer wasn't ready. It was ready, so it costs me an extra $20 bucks, but I'd do it again as you never know. Thanks for the advice.

5. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Congrats! It always feels good when your baby gets a "Passed" on the screen and printout :)