What is difference beetwen 250 GTO I and II series ? | FerrariChat

What is difference beetwen 250 GTO I and II series ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Maranello Guy, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #1 Maranello Guy, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I could be wrong, but I think they had a larger motor (4.0 liters).

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    #3 Willis360, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I think the series II refers to the '64 body style. It looks like the number is wrong. 33 series I and 3 series II. The 4 liter cars weren't GTO's although they have GTO bodies.

5. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Are you sure about it ?

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Actually, it's a '62 with '64 bodywork. SN#3413GT

7. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    how did you figure that ?

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The car's local.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 330LMB looks like a 250GTO but is not.........

The Series 2 250GTO is similar to the appearance of the upcoming (then) 250LM......to me anyway......

10. ecurienationalebelge

Mar 17, 2005
    that's true, 3413 was rebodied in 63 by Scaglietti, btw who is the new owner ?
    The previous one was Lindsay Owen-Jones from France ?

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Local retired tech guy, Greg Whitten, since 2000.

12. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    OK, now tell me what are the similarieties beetwen series 1 and 2 ? I mean , is this the same chssie , floor etc . ?

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Series 1 is beautiful, Series 2 looks like ****.

This was simply done in an attempt (IMO) to get the 250LM legalised for racing. Ferrari had successfully attempted to bull **** the authorities with the GTO by saying they were just modified SWB's and then tried the same again with the LM ... er, but er, gee the engine has moved in to the back, etc. So even Kermet the Frog was not going to get fooled by Enzo with this one.

Thus Ferrari trying hard to pull the wool over everybodies eyes commissioned the series 2 GTO's. I believe they even use the same windscreen as the LM.

Now I might be wrong but that is what I believe really happened in the design room and yep they are more aerodynamically correct ... but they would hardly design the LM's cabin to be less effective would they.

What the real crying shame here is, if Ferrari had been made to play the correct line and build the correct numbers there would be MORE GTO's and LM's for us all to enjoy ... but I ofcourse can understand his position.
    Pete
    ps: I believe under the skin they are exactly the same, ie series 1 versus the ugly one. I love the LM but the windscreen, cabin, etc. just does not work styling wise on a front engined car.

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Funny, I prefer the Series 2 look. From a few angles the rear on the Series 1 is too bulbous! Too each his own! :)

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely ... I'm just stirring :D. I still stand behind my reasoning for the Series 2.

In the end the SWB is better looking than both! and a 250LM is in another league again ...
    Pete

16. TJH

TJH Rookie

Mar 25, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Tom
    and then there is the 275 GTB, probably one of the best from Pininfarina. I think we love the GTO and LM because they are so rare, it is such a treat to see one. CO used to have a series II here, I was fortunate to follow it for over 100 miles at speed on the Colorado Grand a few years ago.. I had goosebumbs.

17. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    I recommend you purchase Keith Bluemel's book on the 250GTO and read it. You'll be able to get pretty much all your questions answered.

-Jarrett

18. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    I believe that the Series II GTOs look the way they do so that Enzo could later call the 250LM an evolution of the series II GTO. They look very similar, just take a series II car put the engine in back and push the cockpit forward and you have a car that looks exactly like a 250LM, that later became the 275LM. This way Enzo could build a car that was more of a prototype instead of a GT car and not have to homologate the 250LM and build a large number of cars for sale to the public.

Enzo was already pushing his luck homologating the GTO as a modification of the 250GT, the series II pushed this a little further but was allowed because the mechanicals are similar, but the 250LM was not accepted by the sanctioning bodies because it was way too different to be a modification of the 250GTO which was a modification of the 250GT. Enzo got mad, renamed the car 275LM and won LeMans as a prototype instead of a GT car.

This is the story behind the looks of the 250GTO Series II as far as I can figure out.