engine pulsing/reasonance | FerrariChat

engine pulsing/reasonance

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bostonmini, Dec 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    guys, i looked alloever for this topic, i know it has been posted before, anyone have a link? Im looking for info on how a naturally aspirated engine uses this to gain power....on the exhuast side....

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm not sure what you're even asking. Are you talking about tuning the exhaust for optimum breathing? If so, this is a VERY complicated subject! When I replaced my mild steel headers with SS of a larger diameter, it took me a LOT of trial and error with the carbs etc. to optimize the power. In the end, I'm a little richer, advanced a couple extra degrees, have a little more air into the carbs and probably added 5 or so horses.

The important thing is to not have too little or too much back pressure for your engine. The factory system is not just a random bunch of tubes; if you change it you likely need to change the engine setup too or you may even lose HP.

Ken

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd suggest you search on the term "exhaust scavenging" here and on the internet (but I don't have any specific links).