Crystal Cove Videos (HD) | FerrariChat

Crystal Cove Videos (HD)

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by elsupremo, Dec 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey guys,
    About a year ago, my friend purchased a Panasonic High-Definition camera, with the intention of capturing HD video and putting it on the web to share. Little did he, or I who agreed to help him, know how much work it would require to do so. It ended up requiring a new Sony HD camera, building a new dual-cpu computer with a nearly a terabyte of hard disk space, purchasing a dedicated server and constructing a website, and hours of editing to get the video on the the computer, edit it, and encode it into a format that the average computer user is able to play.
    The reason it took so long is not because we're lazy, to the contrary we are hard-working students. Building the computer took time, learning how to properly shoot the footage took time, learning how to edit the footage especially took time, making the website took time, and the worst problem of all, the Sony HD camera has died repeatedly, requiring us to send it in for months at a time.

Today though, we finally have a couple of videos that we are ready to share. The videos that are finished are just our first ones, and they are more a general highlights of the two specific shows. We kept them brief because we weren't sure about size, quality, or what the users would be expecting. This is where you guys come in.

Our website is http://www.hdinmotion.com. You will have to register, but everything is free and I hope you like the layout. There is no advertising. After registering, to access the downloads please enter the "HDinMotion.com Downloads Area".

I hope you enjoy the videos that are on there. There are 2 reasons why the videos do NOT have music. #1: Lars. I don't want to be sued up the rear for using RIAA music in a video I am calling my own. #2: No music allows people who don't regularly go to the show or have never been to the show to start to get a feeling of what it is like to really be there. Also, the engine note of a Ferrari or even a Lamborghini is better than any music out there... :)

Lastly, for all of you who watch these videos and become worried that there aren't enough engine sounds - DON'T be worried. We have dozens of hours of footage, many of which include LOTS of engine sounds and takeoffs. We are going to make many more of these videos, some which will include some very interesting footage...it's just a matter of getting it on the computer and editing it. :)

There are also several sets of pictures from several dates, at a fairly high resolution.

Please give feedback as to what your computer specs are and whether you are able to play the videos at what quality level or not.

Enjoy.

David

2. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    By the way, one small edit, the first camera purchased was a JVC, not a Panasonic. :)

3. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Downloading them now... but quick suggestion - might wanna remove some of the required fields, such as CPU speed, monitor, and connection type. Not that important IMHO.....

4. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I hear what you are saying Jay, but the reason they are on there is that we are trying to figure out what type of equipment that average user has so that we can make the files a size and quality that most people will be able to handle.

They won't be required fields forever...just initially. :)

5. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Got it. Nice vids - the medium resolution one was just right for my system. Just don't have the resolution / CPU for the 1080i one.

P4 2.4
    1 Gigabyte RAM
    19" 1280x1024

Keep it up! :)

Oh, forgot to mention - I love how there's no music. Would hate for the feel of CC and the sound of the cars to be covered up by music.

6. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    they didn't work for me. the wmv file you have I get audio perfectly, but I only get a still frame for about 7 seconds then it like freezes on another frame. I'm going to try it with VLC later on.

My only recomendation is to offer a quicktime version.

P.S. I have a Macintosh Powerbook G4 867 Ghz

7. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you both Jay and David for your responses.

David, I was wondering if you could possibly try downloading one of the "Low Quality" videos and seeing if that will work for you. If even that will not work for you, I will certainly consider offering another format that might work better.
    However, I suspect that the Powerbook you are using is not quite able to handle the videos.

As I said in my first post, the videos really are CPU consuming, and that's why your help is important, to fine-tune the formats for everyone. :)

Thanks,
    David

8. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Ok the low quality one worked. I didn't have enough time to try all the options :) I bet if I tried it on my dad's computer, the highest quality one will definitely work.

Good video's though, I'm sure people around the world will really appreciate this as soon as the word gets out. Good luck with your new site!

Best Regards,
    -David

9. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    David, thank you for the kind comments and I am glad you were able to enjoy them. More to come! :)

Regards,
    David

10. Z400Central

Z400Central Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Great videos!

I would like to see one video put together of nothing but the cars getting onto PCH and hauling ass, or cars revving. That is a good video!

Thanks!

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Good thing you went to the Sony, the JVC is junk.

12. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    The 1080 video is amazing.

Thanks a lot.

13. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Z400, we have a lot of that kind of footage. Our plan is to first catch up to the present by creating videos of the highlights for each show date, and then begin creating a video each week for that week's show. Subsequent videos will start to see a more action and less panning shots.

We'll most likely also start creating specific videos highlighting specific cars. For instance, a Ferrari 360 video with some gorgeous pans and some jaw-dropping takeoffs and sounds. :)

Thank you all for the feedback.

Regards,
    David

14. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    David,
    Great job! I can tell it took a while to do all this work but I'm sure many of us here will and do appreciate it. The video quality is amazing and yes, I'm glad you didn't edit music into the videos. The sound of these cars says it all! ;)

15. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Elliott, thank you for your kind comments!

We have now added a new video to the forum. It is the same date as one of the first videos, but this contains more action shots and sounds.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

http://www.hdinmotion.com

Best,
    David

16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Damn. neither of my puters can play it smoothly. The laptop is no surprise (Centrino 1500 on ATI Mobility Radeon 9700) ... but I thought the desktop would handle it (P4 2GHz ...). I'll have to use the lower res :(

17. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Julien, thanks for your feedback in letting me know how it went trying to play the videos. I am sorry the higher quality does not play smoothly for you. We haven't set anything in stone yet and we are still playing with different formats. If we find a way of giving you that same quality in a reasonable format that is easier for the computer, we most definitely will make that available.

David

18. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know how many of you have had the chance to take a cruise on Newport Harbor, but we have just put up a video that shows off a little bit of that amazing experience. I think the video is fun to watch and definitely shows off some of that HD beauty. It is in the HD Video section of the site, under "The Real "OC"".

Hope you guys enjoy it.
    http://www.HDinMotion.com

David

19. Zoomy3

Zoomy3 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Z.
    This isnt an ad or anything, but I work at CompUSA and if you buy a new camera with our replacement plan and it dies, instead of sending it in to the manufacturer and paying for shipping and waiting for them to send it back to you all fixed, you can take it back to us and we'll give you a spankin' new one. No joke.

Food for thought.

20. carlosgdias

carlosgdias Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    G.D.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Great videos!
    Just what I was looking for, ever since the first time I saw pics from Crystal Cove!...
    Thank you very much!
    Just wish I was there... Maybe one day...

Cheers

21. MS575M

MS575M Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    Sweet site

22. Z400Central

Z400Central Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Yeah Best Buy does that to. Good plan! Works really well for iPods since they come out with new ones every 6 months