Speeding in a Ferrari in USA | FerrariChat

Speeding in a Ferrari in USA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by michal12, Dec 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Guys, I am from Europe and I am thinking of moving to the States for a while (CA or FL).
    Now the question is, can you actually drive your Ferrari properly in the USA? I mean I do over 100mph every day on highways, some weekends 160mph is no problem and on tiny roads between villages you can do whatever you want. (I mean, thats Europe)
    How does it work in the US? I fear there is cops everywhere, highways, mountain roads..Can you stretch her legs?? And if you get caught, what can happen to you - can you get locked up and for how long?
    Please lets forget about ethical issues of fast driving, I would like to hear some real-world stories without getting crucified.
    Cheers

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No you can't speed here and get away with it for to long.

It will vary from State to State and town to town but I've heard they are pretty tough in FL. Some small towns in CA might work. I understand in CA they have a CHP club of some sort. Maybe the CA guys can fill you in further.

You can drive them fast, but it's best on the track.........

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Montana, the Dakotas, Nevada, and Wyoming are some best bets for open roads that are minimally patrolled. Otherwise, you are speeding at your own risk. In many states, being clocked at triple digits can get you straight in jail.

4. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I am an avid speeder. Unfortunately, being a speeder here and a speeder in Europe are two different things. I just got back from 2 weeks in Germany and I have had to adjust to our American driving system all over again. People in every European country I have visited are attentive and courteous drivers, they actually check there mirrors once in a while. Europeans move out of your way, they don't drive in the fast lane unless they are passing, they only speed where it is oppropriate to do so, and in general are much better drivers. I am certainly not antiAmerican, I just hate our driving situation. In short, plan on speeding being 85-90mph on the freeways, and your occasional midnight 3-digit sprint here and there. Oh yeah, as far as law enforcement, they dont like speeders much here, and anything over 100mph they can (usually don't) arrest you, at least in Ca. If you do come over, buy a Valentine one. I have one in every car, and I bet most people on here have them. Good luck!

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    You just have to pick your spots and have a radar detector for what you can't see. In Texas we have some long open roads outside of the major cities, and our local club has cruises on the back roads at a consistent 90-125mph. You just have to be aware that the police can pop up, and do your high speed runs where you and the detector can see a long way.

6. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    My last speeding ticket in California was about 16 years ago. 65mph in a 50mph zone in 911S. Cost $180, but I'd bet it is a lot more now.

7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Don't do it! Speeding in PA anyway is really serious and the points make insurance rates go up. Plus very few warnings are given these days at least in my experience.
    Erik

8. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'll second that.

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Move to the Northern Territory,Australia my friend,they have open speed limit roads and has many speed freaks driving over the border just to be able to do that!

10. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anybody have experience in Montana with their "reasonable and prudent" daytime speed limits? (i.e. no daytime limit)

11. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Montana no longer has "reasonable and prudent" limits. They now have regular speed limits like every other state.

12. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I think they were threatened with fed funding withdrawal if they didn't.

I think you're getting the drift Michal, tough to do over here without serious repurcussions....

13. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    That about sums it up but thats not to say you cant enjoy your driving over here, by the way when are you planning to relocate if you have achoice Florida before CA

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Public roads are pretty much out, due to not only the law enforcement but also the other operaters, as noted above...and here in Texas there's native creatures and livestock as well!

On the flip side though this has led to developement of private tracks as sort of Country Clubs for gear heads, like a golf course membership.

We also can rent tracks thru FCA events and get on the high banking and HONK ON!

The info age has pretty much put and end to it, as insurance and licensing problems will catch up to a frequent flagrant violator.......except for that guy in Chicago! (Triple fatality)

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think anywhere in the west, outside of the large metropolitan areas, you can cruise at high speeds. Just get a Valentine One, and be aware that if you are caught you could face consequences (which is not necessarily a bad thing-- it forces you to pay extra attention).

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    South Florida is too congested to have any open stretches of road to enjoy high speed driving. An occassional sprint to 120 can be accomplished, but most driving is in the 80-90 mph range. I haven't been pulled over yet, let alone get a ticket, but that is mostly due to prudent use of the speed (in open areas that have no hiding places for the police).
    BT

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    There are some great roads in N. Cal that have very little traffic and are mostly uninhabited zones which are obviously not policed either. My drvining experience in the US tells me, that the west is the place if you like to go fast. Avoid the urban areas and you will find plenty of stimulating driving time.

18. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Come to Canada :p!! Seriously though, average hiway speed in the cities is roughly 80mph. Every day on my commute to campus, the only time people actually drive at the posted speed (100km/h) is during a traffic jam. Otherwise, the speeds range from a low of ~120km/h to a bit speedier 140-145km/h, usually averaging 125-130km/h. And yes I'm being serious about these figures.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    He means " our local club has cruises on the back roads at a legal and safe clip, never exceeding the posted speed limits nor violating local noise ordinances."

Yeah, that's it. :D :D

20. visualnarcotics

May 30, 2005
    i literally speed everyday. when i'm on the freeway, i average about 90-95 mph. i can't help it. when i'm in CA, i speed less, because i feel the laws are much more strict than in japan. when i'm in harajuku [japan], i speed more frequently and typically drive a lot faster. it seems like most people i am with whether it be CA or japan, speed more/faster in japan. maybe its more accepted there? i have only gotten 1 driving related ticket my whole life. it was in CA for a "california stop". 200$ later and traffic school, and it never made my driving record...

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sorry, but any shiny red sports car and any speeding much beyond the posted limits will get you nailed. And your insurance costs will be about as much fun as a snapped cam belt. California is not nearly as bad as Ohio (I went to college near Cincinnati and lived in Cleveland and Chicago for a while), but 80 in a 65 is pushing it.

In the midwest, forget about it - the police there set speed traps to get people doing 67 in a 60. I once read Ohio had the most speeding tickets issued per capita. I did once drive across Oklahoma faster than I would care to post here, but the speed limit was 75 and you could drive for miles without seeing anything.

If you really want to drive fast on public roads, which isn't a great idea to start, I can't think of a worse choice than any Ferrari.

22. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    What 355 said about european drivers.

23. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unless you are in a rural area, triple digit speeds are unsafe because of the other drivers many of whom are eating, putting on makeup and talking on a phone sometimes all at once. A large number are just plain oblivious until you pass them and then they call the cops to report an aggressive driver. In Colorado, rural highway limits are 75 for interstates, 65 for 2 lanes. Rarely will you be bothered for less than 15 over, but not hard to do. There are lots of fun, twisty mountain roads too, but you have to watch out for bicycles some of which think THEY own the road. Some municipalities give tickets for the sole purpose of getting revenue. Trouble is, you get points against your license and an insurance increase. Fun can be had, but choosing roads wisely outside metro areas is a must. Save triple digits for track days.

Dave

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually the "safe and prudent" law was thrown out by the courts for being unconsitutuonally vague.

Dave

25. callchuck

callchuck Karting

Aug 29, 2005
    Its obvious those of you who like to speed (triple digits) on public roads have never had the experience of hitting something at that speed. You don't realize how fast it really is until you have a mishap....inocent people die.....cars are usually not repairable from those impacts...etc. Please take it to the track and learn what speed is really all about. Most of the guys I know that play on the track respect speed and do not have the urge to go (3 digiits) on public roads. Speed is greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt! Just do it at a safe place.