What's your opinion on cruise-control... on a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What's your opinion on cruise-control... on a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alx355gt, Dec 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Personnally I thinks it's completely wrong!
    When driving a Ferrari you should be... driving it! Not letting you drive!
    I can understand people want it on their luxury cars for travelling long periods on the highway or for the job... but it doesn't belong on a real Ferrari IMO...

Some people will say it could suit on a GT like the 612 Scaglietti for example but still... I think it just doesn't seem right...

My AR156 is fitted with this gimmick but I hardly use it...

Other opinions?

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Like you say, it depends how you use your car. I hardly ever use the cruise control on my daily drive as I think its only really safe on open clear roads. There are often too many other cars around and you are constatly on the brake or gas anyway.

There is, however, one benefit in a ferrari....if you know an area is particularyl bad for speeding enforcement and you struggle to keep you right foot under control, then it can help avoid a lot of expensive drives out in the Fcar.

3. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    That's the reason why I use it a lot in my daily driver.
    Specially at nights when you can't see the speedcamera's :)

4. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    It is better to have one of those F1 pitlane buttons in the car. They don't allow the car to go faster than 80 km/hr! :)

5. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    It is indeed a good way to avoid speeding tickets in some area's :D

I never use it during daytime, also because the traffic mostly doesn't allow it here... In the evening on empty straight highways I could turn it on... but I always get so bored by the monotone sound and speed after a while... that brings my attention down and thus makes me a worse driver... that's why I hardly use it...
    I feel more concentrated when driving faster without Cruise Control, compared to driving a bit slower with Cruise Control on...
    I also think this system can be dangerous in some occasions... some people use it too often IMO... It's also crazy that the CC in my Alfa can be set up at speeds up to 190! That's insane!

However... when you're in a Ferrari you should be having fun... and drive the speed that suits the road conditions best... Also very important that you "feel" the car and YOU control it... I believe that feeling is much lower when the CC is switched on.

6. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    To be honest...................when I drive home on the german A31 from Emden to Oberhausen, almost every fridayevening, I use it and it's on 190+.
    It is a 80km straight autobahn without traffic.
    When I pushed the pedal to the metal I get cramps in my right foot.
    Using the cc then is much comfortable.
    And trust me, 200+ with cc isn't boring....... :)

7. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    LOL I must admit I've never tried it that fast... but I believe you if you say at that speed it isn't boring anymore :D