Who has driven a early 60s F1 Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Who has driven a early 60s F1 Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by J.P.Sarti, Nov 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    What do they drive like?

Noisy?
    Smelly from fuel and oil?
    Soft or hard clutch easy to shift?
    Touchy brakes easy to spin out?
    Fast feeling with the wind and bugs in your face?
    Do they feel like they are on ice power sliding through corners with 4 wheel drifts easily?

Thanks in advance

2. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hi "Jean-Pierre",

Nope, never driven one but I do know where the "canon" is that was built and used for the shooting of "Jean-Pierre Sarti's" crash at Monza in the movie Grand Prix...

It now serves as a garden ornament in Italy...

(enough irrelevant comments for now... ;-) )

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Ha,ha, sounds cool

PS. Don't tell Louise I didn't die at Monza, she was drving me crazy and it was the only way I could get rid of her:). I liked my teamate Barlinis g/f much better.

4. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hehehe... too bad... she ran off with some yankee... never to be heard of again...

5. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
  6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    well, F-chatter Jan Biekens is building a 156 sharknose recreation - maybe he has had seat-time in one of the other sharknose recreations .. .

I'll PM him to ask if he has.

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I am sorry, but I don't see what there is NOT to like! ;)

8. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #8 macca, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Ah..........this one.......

Anyway, did you mean rear-engined, J-P? There are quite a few real and replica 1960 front-engined cars, but very few rear-engined. Chris Rea had a sharknose replica built, which is now in Holland with a genuine 120deg V6 in it; all the original sharknoses were scrapped. There are a couple of the 1963 cars around, one in the Schlumpf museum and one in the Maranello museum IIRC. And there are quite a few 1964-65 V8 and flat-12 cars around.

As for how they feel when driven in anger - most of the original drivers are no longer with us, but there is Phil Hill, John Surtees, Nino Vaccarella and Bob Bondurant to ask.

Paul M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Yeps, that's it. It still exists but probably isn't functional anymore.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I hadn't checked into Jan Biekens website for several months - there is a new update in the "news" section - it looks like they're building the 120 degree v-6 from scratch. see www.sharknose.net

11. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #11 macca, Nov 29, 2005
    They're actually building a facsimile of the 65-deg car which Gendebien drove in Belgium and with which Baghetti won in France in 1961.

They have the big advantage of having a genuine transaxle (Rea used a Hewland) and carburettors - maybe they'll have to use a Fiat Dino 2.0-L motor like Rea, or they might get hold of a real one (several came up for sale when Obrist's spares were auctioned at Goodwood in 1996).

There are plenty of pictures of 1961-62 sharknoses in the shop in Ed's book, and also in 'Ferrari Dino SPs' by Godfrey.

And a little later than the 1500cc cars..........Bernie Ecclestone owns the actual 3-litre 1966 car in which Surtees won at Spa - but it hasn't been seen for years.

I'd be glad just to own & drive one of the 'kiddy-car' fakes (there are a couple in the UK) like these.

Paul M

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #12 J.P.Sarti, Dec 5, 2005
  13. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    How about a late forties 166MM? It shares the same chassis and drivetrain as open wheeled cars of the day.
    Stiffly sprung, but flexible chassis, combined with skinny tires translates to somewhat loose handling. Steering is light and direct and in spite of modist limits it is predictable. Strong fade resistant brakes inspire confidence, and will out brake much later cars. Mechanical clutch is light and well paired to five speed crash box. In spite of spite of small dispacement the performance is healthy. Good power and high revs along with light weight combine to move it along smartly. - George

14. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL

"Going fast is very marvelous"

15. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Hi Paul,

Yes we found an original 65-deg engine. It's interesting you write that the car also was driven by Baghetti at Reims. What I know for sure that chassis #0002 was driven by:
    von Trips at Monaco
    Gendebien at Spa
    Mairesse at Nürburgring and
    Hill at Monza
    Some books say that Baghetti drove in #0008 at Reims and at Aintree.
    Maybe Fchat can help us find out.
    What we know for sure is that already in Monaco #0002 chassis had the wider upper longerons and not the straight ones as in chassis #0008.

Regards

Jan

16. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #16 macca, Dec 15, 2005
    Jan,
    Yes, you're right about the chassis numbers in 1961-62...........I hadn't looked closely enough at the McDonough and Nye books. :-(

No doubt you've seen this Franco Lini picture from 1962?

Paul M

17. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Yes I've seen it, a very nice picture

18. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    Three times I am world champion on my motorbike, then I get into one of these, it is like a coffin, a bomb, gasoline all around you. But the car is faster and that is the most important thing.

19. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    "Two, Nino?"

"They are very small!"

;-)

Paul M