What do you keep track of in terms of maintenance? | FerrariChat

What do you keep track of in terms of maintenance?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Air_Cooled_Nut, Dec 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I'm curious as to what people keep track of for their vehicles.

For example, on all my vehicles I have a separate notebook and in it I have the full date and odometer reading of the event. Events are oil changes, air filter service, valve adjustments, wheel bearing lubrication...typical maintenance procedures. I also include other stuff like tire replacement (so I can see how long they last), clutch job, catalytic converter replacement, and other significant changes (one-touch sunroof install on the Jetta, 5-speed tranny for the Squareback, floorboards and heel-toe shifter for the Goldwing, etc.). Okay, so some of those items aren't necessarily "significant" but when some asks how long that one-touch has lasted or if the carbon fiber overlay on my bike has lasted more than 6 months I can tell them. I don't do tire rotations nor windshield wiper blade/fluid changes as those aren't critical/necessary data points in my opinion and are done on an as-needed basis.

So, what do YOU log and how (Excel workbook, notebook, by memory or by the stack of receipts :D)?

BTW, gas mileage I would not include. That should be its own little book.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have a file, anytime I buy something for the car, I drop it in the file. I just drop them in, I never look and I have never ever considered doing anything crazy like added up the reciepts, but I could I guess if I wanted a divorce :)

3. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I do the same. All receipts go into a manilla folder for the car that then go in to the pendiflex file. I then have everything together for tax time and if I need to refer to previous maintenance.

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have kept a complete journal on all of the cars I have owned. Keeping tract of why, when and how I did maintance. This is a good sales tool also. I had a guy buy my GT4 and GTB(over other cars he looked at) because of the complete story he got from my records. I don't think just keeping receipts is enough. Regards, Vern

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Since 1987, everything that has been done to the 1985 car appears in this large book (recepts/records/etc). The book is thick...

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    just save receipts for all service and parts.

7. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I use a computer program called 'Car Care'. Keeps track of absolutely everything I do or have done to the car, including gas fill-ups. I can easily recall the part number, price, vendor, etc. for that water pump I had replaced
    4-5 years ago in a matter of a couple of clicks. Nothing I hate worse than rummaging through old papers, files, etc.

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Is that program available for purchase or is it free...

9. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I use a program called Automotive Wolf, which runs on a Windows platform. I got it about 3 - 4 years ago in a download for about $30. It beats a spreadsheet, but could stand some improvements in how multiple cars are handled.

I'm looking for a replacement program that runs on a Mac (OS X). I'm curious to know whether any of you have any experience or recommendations for such programs, and whether they require the purchase of additional software, such as Filemaker.

10. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    You can download it online for a fee. Once you purchase the program, they offer upgrades for free as they become available.
    I've been using it for years and it covers absolutely everything. It'll even remind you when its time to do a particular maintenance, repair,etc. if you're getting old & feeble like me and need reminding.
    You can put as much or as little detail into your records as you wish.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Vern DID keep good records...........I have them here!!!!!

Per Wilhoit, where I bought his car:

"It looks like something that would have come out of an AIRPLANE!"

LOL!

If only Mr. Kane hadn't swapped the wheels...it's taken me YEARS to put that back together! :rolleyes:

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I just do a search for threads started by me in the technical section...

13. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hey Bubba how are ya? Yea Mr. Kane changed those wheels when he first bought the car. The original 5 stars are on my old GT4 that he also purchased at the same time as the GTB. The 4 is now in Great Falls, MT. I don't think he owned the B very long. I saw the B at the Cavillino Classic the following year with the gold wheels on it, like you I would prefer the original 5 stars too. Regards, Vern

14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I keep the receipt for every purchase & service for all 4 of my sports cars in separate folders. Keep a small notebook in the glove box in each to record oil changes, tire & wheel work, brakes, etc. Some of the folders are 2+ inches thick.