Scammer Inquiry - BB/BBI Exhaust System For Sale | FerrariChat

Scammer Inquiry - BB/BBI Exhaust System For Sale

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dave Bendl, Dec 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    To All:
    This has probably come up before on F-Chat, but please read.
    If you are selling a Ferrari, or Ferrari related parts beware!
    I have an aftermarket exhaust system currently for sale on F-Chat classified and received an inquiry from a guy who said he was at a seminar in Holland and wanted to purchase the exhaust system for someone in the UK. He wanted to know if I would accept a certified check drawn from a US bank. I replied sure..... Wrong!
    In his next e-mail, he stated that he was sending a certified check for double my asking price, and asked that I take out the money for the exhaust system, then pay the other half to a guy that would pick up the system for shipment of the system along with other items we was sending to the UK !
    ************SCAMMER!!!!!*********************************
    If you get hit up with this line, please either report the offender to the Feds or tell him/her to take a flying leap. This is a well known internet scam, so don't take the bait. There are many documented reports which you can read all about by doing a Google search.
    Dave

2. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Thank you for the heads up.

Did this guy happen to say he was a Nigerian Prince? When I hear about this scam it usually involves someone claiming to be royalty...

Greg A

3. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    No, he didn't add that to his line of BS. Just said he was attending a seminar in Holland.

One of the largest scam hits that took place using a fake certified check, was a Wisconsin hotel who accepted a $700k check for a foreign group arranging a convention. The group canceled, and requested a refund. Not knowing the certified check was a fake while it was being processed, the hotel issued a refund with a valid check.
    Dave

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    This is also why you should always make sure the check/money order clears before you ship your items, even if it isn't one of these "I'll give you twice the asking price" scams. I learned that one the hard way on ebay when someone sent me a very well faked postal money order, and by the time it was returned to my bank I had already shipped the item.

5. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Sadly lots of these scams around.
    See http://www.419eater.com/ where a few brave souls are tackling the scammers by using a number of time and effort wasting exercises. Apologies to those who are already aware of the website but I like to spread the word as it is painfully funny...