New owner of Porsche Roslyn | FerrariChat

New owner of Porsche Roslyn

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Gary Res, Dec 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I Bought my wife a Boxster last week from Porsche Roslyn. Don't want to talk about the car just the owner of the dealership. His name is Evan and I was introduced to him by a friend of mine that owns another dealership on Long Island. In all my years of dealing with car salesman, I have never met a nicer guy then Evan. He was a pleasure to deal with, and did everything he said he would. A real honest guy. Since we all have our horror stories either with repair shops or dealers, its nice to find a nice salesman/owner for a change. Really one of the Best! He's also a car guy. Owns many including a 430. And something that Eric would appreciate, he's a watch guy too! He also told me (something that Eric will be happy), is that the Manhassett concours (I still call it Miracle Mile) next year will include......Porsche and Bentley (and of course Ferrari). Guys, if anyone out there is looking to buy a Porsche, Evan's the guy.

2. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Yea Evan is a nice guy.. He is the former general manger of Manhattan Motorcars and yes you are right a true watch enthusiast! Good to hear he is doing well and pleasing his clients with his new dealership he is part owner of.

3. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
  4. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Watch Guy and Porsche guy? I've got to get to know this dude...

I actually do know Evan from his MMC days and he is a gentleman. Good luck to him and his new business venture. I'm certain it will be a huge success, especialy with good taste like he has. ;)

So tell us about the Boxster Gary!

5. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I wanted to get her a 911 but she didn't want the stress of:
    watch out for the pothole, only park in an end spot, don't close the door by the window, be careful coming in and out of driveways, etc. She also wanted an automatic which I would "not" do with a 911. She was bored of the 325 convertble that she had and she really liked the Boxster. My impressions are that its a good car. I never was a fan, but now I look at it differently. The car is pretty. I never drove the "S" but I would assume that everything that the Boxster lacks, the "S" makes up for it. The handling is excellent, and the power is fine (for her, not me). I got the "S" rims but not the low profile tires. A great girls car. Its hard to get out of the 645 and drive the Boxster though. The Boxster really feels like crap (after a spin in the 645). I know that they are different cars in every way, but a Large difference! lets talk about the Cayman. The pictures don't do it any justice. In person, its got the right lines and the look. In a lot of ways its nicer then the 911 Coupe. If the back seat doesn't matter, and you don't want a convertable, and Porsche is what you want, then you have to consider the Cayman. I think Porsche will be loosing sales from the base 911. I think that the 911 may be the competition, not the M3. The interior is just as nice as the 911, but I think the lines are classic. Maybe more classic then a 911. Maybe thats what the 997 should of looked like, instead of looking like the 993.

6. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I luv ya Gary but have to disagree with your views on the Cayman and Cayenne. They are wonderful machines no doubt, but they don't hold a candle to the 911 when it comes to visual pleasure and lineage. While I'm obviously bias towards the 993 iteration of the 911, the 997 does make a turn back towards what is often considered the best and last aircooled modern 911 of all time...the 993.

The Cayman is truly a track car and was designed to be a hard top Boxster for all the Boxster owners who requested it's nible track abilities in a "coupe". It's very capable and frankly on par if not slightly above the 911 in performance ability (not "S"). However, it's still not a 911...

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wow, sounds like me. Even my 5 year old knows not to close door by window.

Great to hear a good experience. Sorry though that you don't think too much of the boxster. I have never driven one but they look good.

8. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was misunderstood. I really like the Boxster. And I know that you (Sam) were considering an older 911. For a couple of Bucks (not much) more, you may be better with a newer Boxster "S". Unless a back seat is important to you. It has good sound, handling is excellent, and it looks great. Boxster "s" with a stick is probably a great car. When you drive one, you know its related to a 911. It's smaller brother. The car does feel good. I'm surprised that Porsche didn't make it all wheel drive, at least as an option.

9. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Eric,

Thats pretty much what I said. If you compare it to the "base" 911 (Coupe), you have to consider it. If your choice is the "S" or the "4S", or a convertable (which would be mine), then the Cayman doesn't work. I never liked the Cayenne until I drove one. Its not bad, if a truck is what you need. The inside is done right. It drives and handles less like a truck.They stayed away from lots of cheap materials. For a couple who have 2 kids, its a consideration. For me, I have 4 kids, so I will never own one. I don't understand the Turbo option at $100,000.00. My neighbor has one. Sounds like crap. Bad exhaust sound! A family of 4 (2 kids) would do better in a Magnum Station wagon, Hemi SRT all wheel drive. Gotta love that commercial with the Lambo.

10. Arrwin

Arrwin Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Midtown NY
    Full Name:
    Arrwin
    Hi Gary,

Did they have a Cayman in the showroom at Roslyn? I've been meaning to swing by to check it out...but haven't had the chance yet.

Congrats on the new Boxster.

11. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks. They had a Cayman in the showroom last week.

12. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Congratulations on the car, Gary!

Evan is truly a great guy. I worked with him from 95-01 at Manhattan Motorcars. He's a class act. Knows his business.

Eric, he was featured in a Watch Time magazine article in 2003. He was called the "Bentley Boy". He's got one or two of just about everyting from AP, Pan, FM, Rolex, Patek, P. Picot, JL (he doesn't have a DualMatic, poor fellow). His collection is to die for.

Gus Technik