USGP Questions | FerrariChat

USGP Questions

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gran Drewismo, Dec 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not sure what sub-forum this belongs in.......

My friend and I are beggining to plan our 2nd trip to the USGP (we went in 2004) and I had a couple questions for those that live in the area or who have attended the race in the past.

What are some good hotels to look into? We're not too picky, I just want some place decent. We stayed at the La Quinta Inn at the Pyramids last time, which wasn't too bad but it was pretty far away. At least this year we'll be able to get a rental car.

Also, are there any places or events to attend that happen outside the Speedway? Car shows, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Good thing about the area around the Pyramids is a fantastic mexican restaurant in that areas with really potent margaritas. Really potent. There are activities, including Chrysler's concours, in downtown Indianapolis Saturday and Sunday. There has been a Ferrari show on Fridays in the past. There is also a small memoribilia show at the convention center.

Night life downtown is fun Friday nite and Saturday nite. Also, go to the regional section of FChat that includes Indiana, and ask the same question.

3. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Try the Red Roof Inn right off of the freeway from the air port. We have stayed there for the last couple of years. Roughly $85 for non event night and roughly $145 for an event night. You are about 3 miles from the track if you are staying here. We will be there this year. If you decide to stay there call us and we will have a libation or two.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew

That sounds great. I'll check into it right now!

And I posted my questions in the proper Regional section as well.

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    According to Orbitz none of the four Red Roof Inns have rooms available....damn.

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Your chances of finding a place at this point in time in the vicinity of the speedway is next to none. Remember not only is it the GP weekend but it's also a major summer holiday!

http://www.indy.org/
    this is the convention and visitors association site

http://www.usgpindy.com/

http://www.ihsadvantage.com/h/hotelAvail.do?showAvailWithList=true&pfs=453&spfs=0&city=Indianapolis&state=IN&country=US&arrivalMonth=6&arrivalDay=30&departureMonth=7&departureDay=2&adults=1&children=0
    list of hotels showing available BUT - $179.99 per night for an Econo Lodge - that is absurd. We don't pay that much in USD equivalent for rooms in Europe to see racing on real F1 circuits.

Carol

oop's went back and read you referenced a rental car - you best get that made asap - several years ago we had to go to Louisville KY as there were no rental cars available at IND - worked out fine for us as we spent part of a day at Church Hill Downs.

7. nicnichols

nicnichols Rookie

Dec 19, 2005
    You have to check out "The Villa" in Indy.. its small, only has around 6 suites,
    but its the best place in Indy.. bout 15mins from the track, has a great breakfast, and a really nice Rest. w/ nice wine list and great patio.. all the 14 or so people there were in town for the race, so we got to sit out side and chat with people from all over about the events. My girlfriend picked this place, and believe me, if it hadn't been for The Villa, she would have been reallly upset due to the lack-of-race...
    -------
    http://www.thevillainn.com/
    ------

Trust me- its worth it!
    NIC

8. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I used to live in the St. John Indiana area near Chicago and drive down there are a lot of hotels up 65/265 only 15 mins from the Speedway that will have 1. available rooms and 2. better rates

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andrew, here's my 2 cents that I offer up every year. My friends and I stay at the Embassy Suites downtown. It's a little more expensive, but the corner suites easily sleep 6. On top of that, you get a free breakfast every morning and every evening they have 2 hours of open bar. With 6 guys, those things add up. Since it's downtown, it's only a 10-minute cab ride to the track. We're in Chicago, too, so we aren't paying airfare.

This past year we ventured beyond the immediate downtown area to the Rathskeller and that neighborhood. Lot of cool, laid back bars if you get a little sick of the GP-mania crowds.

10. f1flagger

f1flagger Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Have you considered the Canadian GP? I attended the first two USGP's at Indy, but hotel room pricing (even at a USAC special rate) was one of the reasons we don't go anymore. There's plenty going on around town all week, we get a full apartment downtown for less than a Motel 6 in Indy, and we don't have to wear the blue nylon jumpsuit Tony insists on.

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    try to call the hotels. if you can get an indy phone book. go to the indiana group perhaps someone could fax you the hotel pages.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    For what it is worth, do not drive to the Speedway. Park at the airport, and take the city transit bus ride to the first turn of the Speedway with absolutely no delay. Same for the return. They have special traffic lanes just for this shuttle. Cost is about $20/person round trip, plus parking for your car.

13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Better yet - we've been parking in the Car Corral with our Mercedes - price is right!

Carol

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    In the event there is a good turnout of spectators, I try not to park anywhere near the Speedway so I can avoid all traffic when I leave. The corrals are great if you stay for a while after the race.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I went 2001-2003. Parked right near the VFW which would have been indy turn 2? Either way I really didn't have much of a problem with either getting in or out... I may be more patient than others, but I really didn't see parking yourself and close to the trakc a problem.

When I went, I stayed up at the Country Inn indy north. It was maybe 15-20 minutes to the track.

I have no desire to ever go to Indy again for F-1. That being said, I'm sure there a lot of others that feel that way and finding a place shouldn't be all that bad.

They will be lucky to have F-1 at indy 3 years from now (I forget the current contract).

Have fun nonetheless.

16. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I stayed at the Sheraton @ Keystone Crossing this year. It was a nice place. The Jordan team was staying there as well. I tried to get reservations today, but had no luck. The girl on the other end made it sound like she had no idea what was going on that weekend. YEAH RIGHT! The Amerisuites has some availability, but I didn't want to spend 1K for the 5 days I will be there. I'm staying at the Ramada on 42nd St. for '06. After seeing this thread I decided I'd better jump on it or else. Come to find out, airfair has doubled in the last couple of weeks. If that didn't happen, I would have chosen a better place to stay. I also tried to get a Mustang coupe or convertible from Hertz, and of course they were not available either. Just some input to help with your planning. :()

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    With the dramatic increase in costs, lack of available reasonable hotel rooms, etc., consider attending an F1 race in Europe - it doesn't cost much more and it's more fun.

Carol

18. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    As soon as I find out when the '07 dates are, That is my plan. England, Scotland & Ireland Vacation. Hopefully Silverstone is still on the bill then. I hope to hit 1 race a year.