Newbie here - shopping advice? | FerrariChat

Newbie here - shopping advice?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Dave Bertrand, Dec 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Hi! After a few years of Porsche ownership I've decided I need a new toy. After a lot of research and staring at pictures of different models, I've narrowed it down to a 308 or 328, with a lean toward the 308 because I have a slight preference for the styling. The car will be a weekend adrenaline pump only. Maybe 1,500 miles/yr.

Aside from private parties, where are the best places to shop for this type of car locally? I know of Ferrari of Denver and RM Eurosport - any other place I should know about?

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Paragon Motorcars is a good place to go, Ive heard a lot about their good service.

Heres the link, hope you find something you like: http://www.paragonmotorcarsdenver.com/

Also, what color 308 are you looking for? What miles, options etc.? I would be pleased to help you find one that maybe isnt in Denver.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's hard to beat FoD for a 308 or 328. Talk to Derek.

4. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    Dont limit yourself to just a local dealership. If you look at the U.S. as a whole you will have a greater chance of finding the right car.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll echo Ac. You need to look everywhere and be willling to travel. I bought 2 328's, one in Atlanta, one in the bay area. First, I would learn all I can about these cars. The Fchat archives have tons of info. Second, after having had 3 308's and 2 328's (I still have an 89 GTB), I can say with a little authority that the 328 is a substantially better designed and built car that will be cheaper in the long run to own, but this should not be construed as poo poon 308's which I also have a soft spot for. There is much to consider before plunking down your hard earned bucks. The other thing I want to point out is that neither car has much performance compared to newer cars, but they are fun to drive anyway. It's all a matter of what your expectations are.

Dave

6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks for the good advice. I have no problem travelling to find just the right car (and I will look everywhere). I just wanted to know where to look in the Denver area.

I know the 328 is a better car. I may end up going that direction. I'm in no hurry to make up my mind. I just want an immaculate car that's been perfectly maintained and documented. Options and color don't matter that much - except the interior must be some sort of tan, beige, or cream.

I too have heard good things about Paragon, but I thought they were just a service facility. Good to know they have an inventory of cars too.

7. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After driving both cars I chose the 328 when I bought....remember it's big $$$$ to repair much more then Porsche.

8. 308SYSTEMS

308SYSTEMS Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi Dave, I went through the same purchase thought process you are going through - 308 or 328. I opted for the 308(I bought an '85 to let the bugs get worked out) because I liked the classic sports car interior(levers and not dials), and more aggressive beautiful lines of the 308. With only 30 more HP, the increased 328 power didn't make a big deal. I now own a Volvo SUV, Honda minivan and 69 Pontiac firebird with more power than either of these Ferraris :) In reality, the 308/328s are NOT fast cars, they are EXCITING TO DRIVE cars, and I have loved my 308. Maintenance has been no big deal.

In 1995 I bought my '85 308 by purchasing a mailing list of all 1985 Ferrari owners, then sending them a postcard telling them what I was looking for and asking if they would sell. I recieved approximately 30 responses from the 550 cards I sent, and purchased a really nice car with 11k miles on it.

I have since put about 17k miles on the car, pathetic I know, but with a wife and son it is hard to get the 308 out....

Mark
    85 308QV

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That is a brilliant idea. It would be especially good if you wanted something like a GTB of which there are very few. How did you get the names and addresses?