The Official "Rendezvous" (C'était un rendez-vous) Thread | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The Official "Rendezvous" (C'était un rendez-vous) Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ArtS, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

disclaimer: no actual pigeons were hurt during the filming of this movie!

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    You bet I do, its too incredible not too :)

Its also a great tourists video, in 9 minutes you can show your friends who are going to Paris for the first time everything they need to see while they are there. Please remind them to take a little more than 9 minutes to see Paris though.

3. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate

OMG! This is both art and symphonic work combined! I have never seen such a film and aftter viewing I'm proud to say I'm a Ferrari owner. I aspire to drive with such finesse.

I'm off to Paris just after the New Year and hope to hear him, but not see him!

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Watch the video without the nice engine and exhaust sound, just turn the volume all the way down and you'll see that the car isn't really going as fast.
    One can notice that at some points you hear the car rev away and shift gears but theres no change in pace, its just a nice sound trick to make one believe that the car is racing like a bat out of hell. Nice film anyway.

5. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Testa,

Perhaps you don't read French or perhaps you don't believe the French which is very popular. But in the very beginning of the film they state that the film was not speeded up and there was no trickery done with it, that would include the sound. It is as recorded no Hollywood tricks.

6. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    anyone tried any P2Ps for the file?

just started searching, some interesting sites-
    http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/Rendezvous.shtml

found it, file name is: rendezvous20_04.mov, its in stereo too.

As Daryl notes below, some parts may be altered, sound possibly, but the site above seems to have calculated based on time-distance on passed landmarks, of course, if it was speeded up which is claimed it was not....still a cool vid.

Kinda' drove a little like that on my way to work this morning!

7. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Hey guys, we've been here before. The film has been painstakingly reviewed and determined to be a bit "hyped". The fastest the car ever went was, I think, 64 or 65 MPH. Now that IS fairly fast for around town, but it's not 140. If you notice, the camera is about 3 inches off the pavement, heightening the illusion of speed. There is a link, I believe, to an entire web page devoted to debunking the myth of this film. I'll see if i can find it.

8. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    Cool video.
    Still I think it is staged, and the car is not moving all that fast, certainly not 140 MPH.
    Everything looks kind of choreograph, nobody gives him the finger for speeding, none of the other cars seam to panic when the car drives by. And I would imagine that the drivers would be more on and off the gas.
    It also looks that is very early in the morning.

9. 512lover

512lover Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2005
    So. Cal
    Have you been to Paris, It had to be early in order to do that. Traffic is always at a grind during the day and night so the early morning is the only time it's possible. The europeans are less phased to speed than Americans too.

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Remember this was 28 years ago. If you tried that now I doubt you would find the roads that clear at any time of the day.

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Indeed -- there are lots of rumors about the film. Some claim it was a Mercedes he was driving, some say the claim of his being arrested at the showing wasn't actually true, etc. etc.

Either way, it's still a damn good cult classic! :)

12. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    I did a small calculation :

between the starting point "porte Dauphine" to "la Concorde" it's 4.1 Km and it takes him exactly 2 minutes to do it, which makes an average speed of 120 km/h on two large, straight and empty avenues. Not that fast.

Jean

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    My theory is it is an ambulance with the siren on, therefore the red-light-running-with -impunity.

sound track obviously added.

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    do an advanced search in the Vintage forum - plug in "rendezvous" - we've had lengthy/lively discussions several times over the past 3 years re: this film.

15. ferrari88

ferrari88 Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
  16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

I can tell that the film wasn't speed up at all, but the sound is what I believe isn't right, something funny about it, sometimes you hear the car run all the gears but the speed perspective stays the same. By the way I'm part Basque and like the French and understand the language pretty much.

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
  18. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Still an awesome video.

19. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Repost to the power of infinity, phony sound, not that fast, nice ending!

20. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    all I can say is:...." Jesus H..."

interesting wether real or fake. That driver was definitely a total NUT!
    gordon

21. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
  22. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Do not overlook the Cobra Ferrari Wars DVD shown on the trailers.It is superb and is available in the U.S.It is well done and will be of interest and enjoyment for anyone who remembers what went on with Shelby and Ferrari in the '60's with the 250 GTO's and the Cobra Daytonas.Good stuff.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Everytime I see a Ferrari split in half, I have a hard time understanding how the driver could manage doing that on a public road. I have a much better understanding now....

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  25. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Matt:
    Very interesting stuff, almost 140 mph down the Champs d-Elyssey (spelling?). I loved seeing the little Mini and Citroen stopped at seeing the Ferrari approach despite having green lights. The encounter with the garbage truck was entertaining too. The appearance of approach headlights in the shop window was scary the first time through. It seems this car had an infinite number of gears, as he kept shifting and shifting.

Thanks for sharing,
    Ed