Rossi, Yamaha in a lawsuit? | FerrariChat

Rossi, Yamaha in a lawsuit?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 2000YELLOW360, Dec 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    See Roadracingworld.com and under breaking news, you can see where this is going. Yamaha and Rossi have decided to leave the fold, so to speak, and suits are going to be flying.

Money makes terrible bedfellows.

Art

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Hmm. This looks a little too coincidental.

--Dan

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Connect the dots for someone who doesn't follow Motorcycle racing?

Are you alluding to the recent Ferrari F1 rumors and testing?

4. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Rossi didn't want to be sponsored by a cigarette company. Yamaha planned on have Rossi run as a separate team without the Gauloises sponsorship. However, Gauloises has a contract to be the sponsor of Yamaha's factory team and felt Rossi would wear their colors. Then Yamaha decided to drop the sponsor completely. Now it's in the courts. That's the real basic recap of what's going on. I'm sure I left out some details, but you get the point.

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I don't see it that way - just my opinion. This is nothing to do with Rossi breaking away from Yamaha. Basically Rossi doesn't want to ride with tobacco sponsorship money and Yamaha sided with him and have dumped Gauloises for '06. They weren't too happy about that and are saying Yamaha has a legal obligation to continue with them and to fulfill the agreed upon sponsorship deal. Its most likely going to court, however they are trying to settle.

It doesn't seem that if affects Rossi riding with Yamaha and IMO if anything it seems Yamaha jumped into bed with Rossi even more so than before.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have great respect for Rossi for making a hard stand against racing for a tobacco sponsor.

7. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Rossi doesn't want to be sponsored by tobacco money........and who sponsors Ferrari's F1 team?? That's where the coincidence pops up. Some say the Gauloises sponsorship might "clash with Marlboro branding during F1 tests." Crash.net

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    This has nothing to do with cigarette money. It has to do with blue, and red & white colors for 06. Rossi is going with Ferrari for 07, and they want him in red and white, their colors. He'll be sponsored by Phillip Morris (Mar) when driving for Ferrari in 07.

Art

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Agrred with Art - I don't see this as a moral stand on Rossi's part. The guy couldn't care less. Instead it's a question of getting all ready and set in the eye of the public for this transition to F1.

--Dan