LEGALLY avoiding sales tax | FerrariChat

LEGALLY avoiding sales tax

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dan Ciezniewzky, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    short and sweet....
    Im looking at buying a Diablo and am not thrilled about paying sales tax on a car that the original owner already did. So rather than paying 6% and pissing away around 10k I was wondering if I could legitimatly rent out a POS place in some state with no/low sales tax for a month or even 2 or 3, then register and title it there, heck I could even live in it for a bit if thats a problem. All I need is something like an electric bill to prove Im there to the BMV/DMV when I go to pay any (if any) tax, reg., and plates.

So anyway will this work??? If it's legit and I live there I don't see why not.

If it can, any ideas where? Im in Indiana with 6%, I know alot of you guys are getting screwed with higher rates, but where is it less??

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just pay the tax and be done with it, lest you be lumped together with Art...

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    You would have to keep that place to keep it registered there wouldn't you. When it comes time to renew if you don't still have the place you would have to register it at home and pay the taxes then, or rent another place. I guess you could keep renting places as long as you have the car. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hassle.

4. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    if you can buy a diablo, 10k will mean nothing to you once you see some costs if something breaks

5. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon are the five states that currently do not impose general sales taxes at the state level.

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    and you do NOT want to go to delaware.... it is worse than NJ....

7. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

Delaware's not too far :D

and I dont think I'd have to pay sales tax in Indiana after they expire, just reg. My dad for many years registered his car at his parents home in Chicago where his parents lived, after they died he didnt have to pay Indiana sales tax to get Indiana plates and reg.

anyone in Delaware wanna help me out lol.....or know of cheap arse places and BMV/DMV rules for registering/titling and plating?? :)

8. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Montana is a tax free state, also no Safety or IM. Find some farmer with a barn for rent and register it there. In the particular county I have my cars registered, there is a "Life Time Registration". If your vehicle is over 10 years old you only need pay 4 years of registration fees and the car will have a "Life Time Registration", never needing renewal, Safety or IM.

9. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

Ill need that 10k if something breaks :D, plus its a Diablo 6.0, so I think Ill be safe for a bit :)

10. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

crap! lol

we'll see, it may be worth 10k

is there any place closer to me with LOW sales tax rather then none...like 2% or something??

hahah, i love your idea pimpdaddy!!!

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

All you need is a PO box to register and liscence the car. Anybody want some help?

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm a freeking farmer, kind of anyway.

13. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

Last time I registered one in Indiana they needed 2 or 3 peices of evidence that you did infact live where you said you did, like bank statement and water bill or something. But its changed a couple times since then cause it was "racist" and too hard for some to prove.

wow 11 views and 10 replys already!!!!

14. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Can't you just do a trade?

....few bags of gold coins for the Diablo

15. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Know of a state that doesn't require a notarized bill of sale to register? My lawyer is trying to get one of my cars registered right now. If I can find a state that doesn't require a notarized bill of sale and all I have to do is get a P.O. Box there and get them to give me a new title then I can transfer everything down here.

Maybe this out of state stuff isn't so nuts after all. lol

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    The IRS is probably one of my least favorite organizations to play chicken with.

Tread carefully my friend. We've all thought the same as it relates to avoid having to pay Uncle Sam. There's a good reason most of us choose to acquiesce.

17. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

ahhaha, I know!!! thats why I want to do it legally. Even if I have to live there for a bit. Sticking it to the man by playing by his rules would be sweet!!!

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You have to pay the sales tax where you have the car registered. Example I bought my car in NC, had to register it in MD, where I live=pay sales tax in MD. If I had a DE address--no sales tax--BUT I would have to keep the DE tags on it. If you get caught in MD with other states plates and living in MD and not in the military. Not good--Called a Foreign vehicle law. You have 60 days to switch the plates to MD. 1st offense $280. Far cry from 10k but it gets worse after that. The only way to do this properly is to have a residence in DE the entire time the car is registered there. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I have another option but you will have to PM me for that one!!!!

19. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I know that :) I think I could get it reg./plates, ect in Del. for mabye 3 months...pay no tax then move back to Indiana and only have to pay for the reg and plates...thus saving 10k!! wooo.

Heck its winter here for 3 more months anyways!!!!!

Ill PM ya still :)

20. southerncharm

southerncharm Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    If you have a relative in one of the five states mentioned and they are willing to say you live there, that is a way out.

Be careful. When you avoid the sales tax on the car by saying you live in another state you open a can of worms in regards to your real estate tax write off. The IRS could confront you saying when you registered the car in say Nevada, you claimed that as your primary residence, therefore you can not take the RE tax deduction off of your home in Indiana since it is now not your primary residence in their opinion. A IRS audit will cost you far more than $10,000 in accountant and lawyers fees, not to mention your time. Best bet is to stay off their radar completely unless you have ability to really cheat to the tune of a million or more a year on your taxes like the Al Capone did.

21. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I live with my parents :)...SCORE!!! lol

22. southerncharm

southerncharm Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Use the $100,000 to get your own place.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was thinking the same...

24. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    ahahha, pshh
    I knew that was coming. I have my priorities lol, though they may be backwards to you guys, plus my own home/apartment would reeeeeeeeally make it hard to get a Diablo anytime soon.

25. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dan PM sent----There are always ways around everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know what you think... In PM form of course...