Ferrari F430 appears in 'Chaos Theory' DVD (trailer, no BS) | FerrariChat

Ferrari F430 appears in 'Chaos Theory' DVD (trailer, no BS)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Autostream, Dec 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott

CHAOS THEORY ON WHEELS
    DVD - Dolby 5.1
    [​IMG]

Join me as I take you on a controversial hunt for the best and worst car ever made by getting behind the wheel of 17 different ones and driving them much too quickly around corners. And a select few of the most terrible and dreadful ones, get filled with gasoline, and a match.
    Put simply, if you like cars, you are going to love this DVD.
    And, if you love cars, you are going to be astonished! –Scott VanPala

Trailer 1 (20.4mb):
    http://autostream.com/cgi-bin/load.cgi?Autostreamfilms_Chaos_Trailer1.wmv

Sorry for the plug, but I think you will be more than interested in seeing the F430 compete in an all-things-considered heads up shootout from a production company that isnt on the gravy train. And that means I can tell you why the Dodge Viper is awful and appalling. Why the Corvette C6 is the Ashley Simpson of sports cars. And why the F430 is better than the Bugatti Veyron and the Ferrari Enzo.
    It's also more fun than doing anything else that doesnt involve young women. But, is it the best car, in the world, ever? You may just be surprised at the answer.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh, if you were trying to test out the 'best' why would one include a C6 Vette with an AUTO tranny?

Cool footage.

3. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Corvette's singular strength is it's powertrain (and its looks). So it doesnt make a difference.
    Though perhaps if there was a 'delete' option for the plastic in the dash and the suspension it might fare better.

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sorry, but give a reasonably skilled driver laps around any roadcourse in an auto equipped car vs. the same manual and guess which one is always faster? And not by a small margin.

If it doesn't make a difference then why don't you tell nearly every team owner of a car in ANY racing series to ditch their manual transmissions for autos.

5. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You are preaching the choir here. Manuals have always been faster then their auto counterpart. Usually due to their lighter weight and less drivetrain loss.
    But a Kia Magentis comes with a manual transmission, yet that's no where near being a good car.
    Being the fastest doesnt make you the best.
    The best is all things considered: Performance, handling, style, fun factor, style, etc

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Fine. Make up your mind though. You can't say, "The Corvette's singular strength is it's powertrain (and its looks). So it doesnt make a difference."

Which is it?

I never said a car's worth is defined only by one factor; manual transmissions.
    Right. But you are missing the point. If you are comparing a bunch of sport cars why would you opt to use one of them with an auto tranny knowing full well that most car freaks absolutely shun the idea of auto slush boxes?

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

8. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Without giving away any spoilers....The Corvette was selected because of it's excitement factor and value, tire shredding capability, and looks for subjective evaluation. Transmission choice would have no significant consequence nor play any decision in the outcome of the plot.

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Especially since nobody gets any more excitement between an auto and manual tranny ;)

Ok, I am finished busting your balls. :D

Richard, I am going to call you in a few. I am throwing stuff in my car to bring to New Orleans and will call you from the road!

10. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good, because you werent doing a very good job. The DVD is scripted to appeal to a broad audience. It has offers entertaining intellectual insight into why these cars are good or bad without bogging down into the minutia of technobabble that would bore out of their minds all but the 0.01% of the car nerd population. and for the 0.01% of car geeks, it provides just a bit of interesting prose in every segment. And on top of all that, its wrapped up with clever editing, good music, and even 5.1 surround sound.
    Which brings us back to your ignorant comment about the 'people prefer the manual to the automatic'. 75% of all corvette buyers pick the automatic. It's the transmission of choice for the majority of people who spend money on corvettes. Which makes it ideal for the majority of people who spend money on car DVD's.

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    HAHA! Right...
    Thanks for the info everyone already knows. I happen to have owned a C5 vette, manual tranny. Trust me, I know who is typically buying the autos in this segment.

Your logic simply doesn't work. Here is what you are saying:
    Because most Vettes are autos, the majority of people who buy car DVDs must think this is the proper setup for a Vette.

You are equating the avg car dvd buyer to the average Vette buyer. How could you reach such a conclusion?

People who buy car DVDs are NOT your typical car enthusiasts. They go out of their way to consume visual and audio tidbits of vehicles because they are affflicted with the car bug. Especially when you feature a DVD full of performance driving.

How many auto Vettes do you ever see on a roadcourse when compared to 6sp manuals?

Thought so!

Don't forget, in your own words, you are trying to find the 'best car OF ALL TIME!"
    So I guess this means you should take the most ill-equipped version of a C6 vette and use it to compare with other cars. Hmmm, let's test the 'best' cars ever. Now, to do so let's include the latest Vette. Which one do we choose? I know! Let's throw in the lowest one on the totem pole! :rolleyes:

Fantastic concept!

12. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    There is a significant difference between scripting for appeal to a broad audience and scripting to appeal to your own self image based on personally accessible resources. It is clear to me based on your writings, video previews, and advertisements on your website that you have very little flair with english and almost no idea what you're speaking about. The cars you have "tested" for your video are a mish-mash of vehicles which are hardly comparable by numbers and can be held together only by a vague definition of the term "sports car". Your advertising material is also vague -- there is no definitive list of cars you've "tested", nor are there any standards for testing, only your ungainly and apparently unknowledgeable opinions.

Furthermore, your test for "the best car ever" is comprised of mass-produced economy sports cars and sedans engaged in burnouts or easily correctable power-slide manuevers, with absolutely zero standardized testing. Most if not all of your footage appears to be shot with a single-chip handicam on public roadways and at the back of uneven parking lots, many times with innocent commuters or bystanders included in the shots. FAR from the proper venue to test the bar of a vehicle's performance, and something which could ultimately land you in court for publishing!

I am not going to pass judgement on your video editing, production, and design skills -- this isn't the proper forum, and these types of videos do have their place. However, when you mislabel your video as some type of high-bar comparison in a quest for the best car in the world, you should expect criticism. You have assembled a hodgepodge video abound with idiotic and irresponsible behavior in economy-grade sports cars. You have made comparative reference to cars which you haven't driven. You feature yourself on camera many times over. This leads me to believe you have what I would most concisely describe as "Jeremy Clarkson syndrome", complete with hokey fake British accent in the intro to your teaser!

On a semi-constructive note, I would suggest you give a wee bit more thought to the breakdown of your target audience before pasting your advertisement onto these particular forums, and decide whether or not the viewing audience here fits within the viewing audience for your video.

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #13 JSinNOLA, Jan 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Hey Scott --

While I appreciate the project you guys are working on and commend you for a good effort, I do NOT appreciate seeing my company's car used and beaten in the video (I run the rental company that you guys rented the 911 Turbo from.) Obviously I didn't know you'd be using it for these purposes, and obviosuly you know that this is a major violation of the rental contract that the gentlement who rented it signed.

Please understand that I'm fully aware that when you rent an exotic car, you want to have fun and "get your money's worth", but blatent abuse of the property with which others make their living doesn't fall in that category.

In the future, you should probably do a better job hiding the plates in your videos. Also, I know who rented it for you, and he can expect to get a call from our lawyer and see a nice big charge on his credit card very soon.

Best,

--Noah

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Hey Noah,

Didn't I meet you about a year ago in NYC when people were out for John Li's bday celebrations? You were in the red 360 right?

Sorry this guy thought he could pull a fast one! :mad:

16. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    More than likely, yep!

17. Autostream

Autostream Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2003
    EARTH
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In true 'judging a book by its cover', its amazing how people will voice their opinions and offer criticism on a movie they haven’t even seen. Irresponsible? Maybe. But ‘hodgepodge’, not a chance.

You may not like this type of movie. And that's understandable, it is very controversial. Some scenes may shock you. Some dialogue may be contested. There have been quite a few complaints about using trees and gasoline to kill mechanically misguided cars. Yes, sometimes cars spin out accidentally on public roads. And with our camera's rolling, you get to see it all. There is no fluff here, this isn’t The Fast and the Furious, the Viper is really doing 160mph. All 17 cars are driven and many are pushed to within an inch of their lives and a few are pushed even further to their death, literally.

I do feel your pain about the 'PC Richard' video camera syndrome that has inundated the so called 'street racing' documentaries out there. The 'Mischief' series comes to mind with their truly amateurish direction, cameras, editing, and scripting (or lack thereof). I don’t think their production team knows that tri-pods even exist.

But 'Chaos Theory On Wheels' is nothing like those. 90% is shot with a 3-chip camera (small cams are used inside the cars and on the bumpers up to 150mph), the editing is first rate, and there is even the first ever use of 5.1 surround in this genre. As well as, get this. A plot! Strange concept I admit especially since it’s well thought out. Here's another first, commentary. You won’t find that in a LIExtreme video, god forbid.

As if you were expecting something different from the advertising materials, this isn’t like watching the tediously boring 'read from the brochure' Car and Driver TV, nor is it the 'Top Gear' random road testing of cars mostly with no rhyme or reason other than because they are new.
    This is by no means a TV show aimed at a tiny demographic. So it should not be compared to such. TV is supposed to be technical. Movie's are not. Your ears won’t be raped by dialogue about piston ring composition or shifting strategies here. Nor will you be forced to compare trap speeds with lateral acceleration specs, whatever those are. Do you care how the F430's E-Diff works? No, you just want to see its results.

What you will learn though, is that the best car ever made isn’t the quickest car or the most expensive. Nor is it the one with the highest terminal velocity in top gear, not at all. It's the one that succeeds the best in the real world concerning style, price, quality, practicality, economy, power, speed, and handling put together, just to name eight. And the winner may just surprise you.

If you like cars (Prius notwithstanding); you are going to have fun. Unless of course it’s your car that goes to the proverbial 'Hell'.

18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I can't even believe that you completely and openly concede that you purposefully abused(even to the point of mechanical failure) these cars considering the fact that this is a blatant admission of guilt to the charge that you guys violated the rental agreement signed with Noah's company.

You sir are a dolt.

Actually, I DO care how well it is working for track purposes. It is very high up on the list of concerns when trying to figure out the 'best car of all times.'
    This is purely YOUR opinion of what constitutes the 'best' car. And judging by the way you handle yourself and communicate with others, I don't think it is all that useful of an opinion.

BTW, what does 'PC Richard' mean? Is that some technical reference? Educate me.

I think we all know who the amateur is here. Heck, you practically hung yourself.....TWICE!

19. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok, I thought so. Emil, his girlfriend, someone else and I ended up grabbing some late night food to finish things off right!

If you slide down to New Orleans sometime give me a holler :)

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'll download it when a torrent is created

21. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ah yes, the morning is good and the spammer still remains silent! Good show :D

22. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Yeah, that guy really seemed like a ******. Glad to see he moved on.

This vid looks like a terd. Some goobs shooting a mini with radar going 115 down an interstate? Whoa! that is some hard core stuff!!! I have seen better home made vids from dudes in various cars touching 200 mph on the internet. So no need to buy this vid with G35's and RX8s. Yawn.