XM or Sirius | FerrariChat

XM or Sirius

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JeffB, Jun 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I'd like to put either in my 996T, but I don't want anything mounted on my dash board or anywhere else looking sloppy. Anybody have it or know if it's possible to get looking nice & neatly where the CD deck is?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have sirius in my car and my moms got XM in the CTS. Sirius is much better.

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had XM in my current car since the day I bought it (drove straight from the dealership to car stereo shop). I've also rented many cars with Sirius. I'd have to say XM is lightyears ahead of Sirius in programming, professionalism, etc. I get the impression with Sirius that I'm listening to some kid broadcasting CD's from his basement. That's all subjective though... as far as the physical appearance of the unit, the best way to go is to get a cd player with a built in XM/Sirius controller. You can control the satellite signal right from the cd player, the tuner box goes in the trunk or under your seat, and the antenna can go just about anywhere. I have mine on the rear deck.. I have a friend with his XM antenna in the dash (completely hidden).. but most people stick it on the roof, which I'm not a fan of. With the antenna on my rear deck, I still get perfect reception, with only minor breakups under some large bridges in certain weather conditions. Otherwise it works just fine 99.9999% of the time.

-R

4. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I HAD XM in my Avalanche and like it a lot. Then I got Sirius for my girlfriend and put it in her car.

The last said XM was lightyears ahead.....quite the opposite I must say. Sirius has much better programming and continues to get better day after day. Also...the COMMERCIAL FREE Sirius is the way to go. Worth the extra couple bucks per month. Needless to say...my Truck no longer has XM. I have switched over to Sirius.

J

5. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I have XM factory installed in my car, and I love it.

That being said, I have no experience with Sirius

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    A friend of mine runs a stereo shop and he suggested I get XM. He said Sirius is more sports oriented and costs a few more $$ a month.

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have XM in my Escalade. I have Sirius stock and I believe it to be a comer. I do like the XM radio.

8. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    XM is also now COMMERCIAL FREE. And cheaper.

I have XM and I've tried Sirius. From my experience, XM's playlists are much deeper than Sirius'. Plenty of repetition on Sirius, and repetition is why I stopped listening to FM.

Jeremy

9. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Car and Driver did a review and Sirius had better coverage in cities with tall buildings and the sound quality was higher (closer to CD).

That being said, XM seems to be much more financially stable and I think this will go the way of VHS/Beta. Someone is going to lose and a lot of people are going to be stuck holding a very cool looking dash board decoration.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I drive a demo, meaning I do not own my own car. I want to get Sirius in it, but it must be plug-and-play, and very simple to swap from car to car.

Any brand name and model that anyone can recommend for ease of swapability?

11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I have sirius and have had it for a while. Personally I love their programming and wouldnt ever go back to FM. An additional plus for Sirius is that Howard Stern will be going on the air January 9th if you like him. I recently got the Sirius S50 which I highly reccomend. Its half MP3 player, and have satillite radio. It is a two piece unit, with the portable half being about the size of an ipod mini. You can download the songs or shows youre listening to right to the unit as well as download music already on your comp to the player. You can also set it to record shows youre going to miss. Besides that, it learns what you like to listen to and downloads music to the player to play if it ever looses signal or for when your using it as an MP3 player. Check it out at http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1130363753674 To me its definately worth the money.

Mark

12. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    3 cars have XM radio and it is very reasonably priced, especially when you sign up for multi-year packages - I also like that I get free XM online via my computer at work and home.

13. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
  14. NNO Ferrari

NNO Ferrari Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    6 feet below Maranello
    Full Name:
    Nno Ferrari
    The new (Divorce cake) Howard Stern Sirius commercial is funny as hell!

15. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    I had XM and didn't renew. Their programming was subpar. Rock was horrible; Jazz was horrible; Progressive was horrible. I listen to all kinds of music, mind you, and there wasn't one good genre that had decent programming. It was like they god all their music as cheap as they could get it, not caring about who made it!

16. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    If you like that you should checkout Winamp's selection. Much better and free!

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I am thinking of going Sirius because of Howard Stern, at least it makes the morning commute funny.

18. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    I had Sirius for about a year, changed to XM. The reason was pretty simple: wider variety of programming. Sirius was jammed full of hard rock, hip-hop, and sports.

XM also has a better, more focused assortment of traffic/weather stations.

And a motion picture soundtrack/dialogue excerpt station (Cinemagic) that at least IMHO is spectacular. Sirius has nothing like it.

Just go to their respective websites and look over their channels; make your choice from that. In terms of reception & quality, they're essentially indistinguishable unless you're veryvery picky, and it's the channel selection that should drive your decision, really.

19. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I have Sirius with absolutly no regrets - great selection. There is also a webb site that will do a direct comparison of XM vs Sirius programming. At the time I bought Sirius I did a bit or research and found out that Clear Channel had a substantial $ stake in XM. Because of Clear Channel's monopoly of terrestrial radio "they claim they don't have a monopoly as they only have 10% - never mind the fact that it's the most influential 10% in all the major markets" there was no way I would buy into XM. It would basically be like paying $ back to the root cause of the problem with terresterial radio.

20. JJB

JJB Karting

Aug 5, 2004
    Texas
    I think that it looked pretty good. I have only had XM so I cannot comment on one vs. the other. I do prefer Delphi's units for receiving XM better than some of the Sirius units I have seen for sale.

[​IMG]

JJB

21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    An employee of Circuit City summed it up pretty well:

If you are younger, left leaning politically, and/or like footbal--Sirius

If you are older, right leaning politically, and/or like baseball--XM

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Ok.................I ordered a plug-and-play Sirius unit for my car, am now looking forward to some uncut Stern!

23. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Howard Stern Voice: "I invented satelite radio, isnt that right Robin? tell 'em Fred!!!"

Robin voice:" OOooooooh, you are SOOOOoooo right Howard."

Stern sucks arse.

Sirius is more "hit" oriented, XM goes deeper into the catalogs.

Sirius has lots of "rock" catagories, XM has more "alternative" catagories.

get the online trail of XM and listen for free for 3 days.

check out Opie and Anthony.

listen to the Jazz, bluegrass channels.

you'll be hooked.

24. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Sirius's number of subscribers jumped when Howard anounced he was moving to satelite. The thing is, while Howard's ratings were high on regular radio it was because there was no real competition. I suspect once the new subscribers discover all the options on satelite, Howard's followers will quickly loose interest in his moronic and abusive ramblings and move on.

25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Who do you think Opie and Anthony are copying? They are prime examples of Stern copiers.