How do you explain/justify this........... | FerrariChat

How do you explain/justify this...........

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Easyrider7467, Dec 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm curious to hear what happens or happened when you shared with someone, friend/relative/whomever, that your considering purchasing an F-car?

Me, personally, don't usually share certain interests with certain people due to long, horse beaten, explanation of my interests and/or cause. But however, there is, at times, a hard a** that wants to question your decision/interest.
    Hell, if you like it and find enjoyment, I'm glad for you.

ps: doing a search for this question didnt pan out to well.

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ohhhhh, that question. I would simply ask how comfortable you are with your decision. If you feel you have to justify it to anyone, you will probably never feel comfortable. When you can justify it for yourself, you wont have any trouble with other people, you can just tell them to go jump in the lake if they dont like it. If its a 308, thier new SUV probably cost more. Heck, this is snow country. I have seen people with new Excursion Diesels pulling trailers with as many as 8 late model snowmobiles. And back home they probably have a $20K boat, and a bunch of 4 wheelers and a Corvette. But then they look down thier nose at you for having a neat car.
    If your talking something like a 355, or newer, you probably have enough money you dont need to rationalise it. I love nothing more than wearing a tattered pair of jeans, an old T shirt, and a ball cap when I drive. Screw everyone if they don't like seeing you happy.

3. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    My sentiments exactly. Thanks!

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have never faced this before. EVERYONE that knows me knew my sites were on a 308 since 1981 (when I was 13 and a yellow 77 GTB screamed past my house one summer afternoon). When I finally pulled in my driveway with one in 1997 everyone was just glad for me.

As for anyone else - what I buy is none of their business. I'll listen to criticism from anyone just as soon as they start asking me what they can do with their money - or they start paying my bills, whichever.

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    My family was relatively indifferent. Most of them didn't think I had the balls to follow through with it.

I made the "ROYALLY STUPID" mistake of casually mentioning it at work during the lunch hour. Everyone was talking about what cars they were shopping for, or on the verge of purchasing. When I was asked if I was in the market for anything....

Suffice to say, some folks didn't believe me, others didn't see it coming.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Only issue that comes up for me at times are employees thinking they're underpaid..and they always will unless THEY are also driving a ferrari.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Anyone notice a disturbing trend?

200 years ago, "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" were the US's primary exports. Now they're all "politically incorrect".

75 years ago, we got Prohibition.

In the 1960s, America was "car crazy". Now fun cars are politically incorrect, and we're supposed to drive boring machines ... like everyone else.

The Massachusetts Bay colony was founded by Puritans. H.L.Menken described a puritan as someone who awakes in the night in a cold sweat afraid that somebody, somewhere, is having a good time. But there was a non-puritan colony in Virginia, too.

So why does everything that somebody likes become a "bad thing"?

(Atlas didn't know, so Atlas Shrugged?) ;)

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    "Because I can"

That's all the justification needed. If someone else has a problem with you having something you want and can afford, then you probably don't need that person around anyway.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    When ever someone asks "why", I always respond back "why not".

Nothing to justify, they're fun and that's really all that matters.

10. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The Massachusetts Bay colony was founded by Pilgrims not Puritans.

11. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Who gives a **** what other people think.

I am a self centered, selfish prick and I couldn't give a **** about what people think of me, my life or whatever.

Life is too short to not be a hedonist........

In all honesty though, I live in a small farmng community. Most people are in awe of my cars (even though each is worth more than any of their houses). These people are simple and frankly have no jealous streak in them. If I were to live in Houston, then the GREEN monster/competitive nature comes into play.

If someone is jealous....which in essence is the bottom line in this case, i.e. gives you **** about your car, don't let it upset you, after all, it is he/she who is jealous.

Be courteous. Then tell them to have a nice day, with a smile on your face....translation "Go FK Yourself!"

12. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    m-w.com: "pilgrim: one who journeys in foreign lands" ... Well, Duh.

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9375274?query=pilgrim&ct=

Your public school money at work, I see...

13. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I simply said that the Massachusetts Bay Colonly was not founded by Puritans, but by Pilgrims. Yes there was a Puritan colony in the Massachusetts Bay, but it was FOUNDED by PILGRIMS. There is a difference.

Up yours with your public school comment. I went to public school in Plymouth, MA so I know something about early american history in that part of the world aka THE PILGRIMS.

Too bad your parents spent a ton of money for you to go to a private school, only for you to be a prick and make an ass out of yourself.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/puritan/purmain.html
    http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/puritan/purhist.html
    http://www.plimoth.org/visit/what/
    http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9375476

14. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    I hear you loud and clear Frank_C.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since I am decended from Puritans/pilgrims, I must speak. Only the fun loving ones remain. I think to settle this argument in this completely highjacked thread, we can say all Puritans were Pilgrims, but not all Pilgrims were puritans.

Back to the subject........
    I used to get this question, but less so recently. I always just say I bought a Ferrari becuase I wanted one and I could.

Dave

16. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    And not all pilgrims are "THE PILGRIMS" ... at least, if you went to (public) school *outside* of Plymouth, MA.

... or watch John Wayne films. Wha-ha. :D

"Pilgrim" is a generic term. The same way that "gas" doesn't always mean liquid petrolium fuel.

Rule #1 of owning a Ferrari: Don't have a chip on your shoulder. It interferes with the seat belt. ;)

And it helps you keep your calm when people assume that all Ferrari owners are preppy jerks.

But I guess my question has its answer -- the notion that success is inherently evil seems to correspond with the decline in the capabilities and self esteem of the public at large, when compared to the technological civilization surrounding them.

And maybe that's why Ferraris see so many challenges at traffic lights: With electronically controlled engines beyond the skills of a basic education, the "cosmetically enhanced vehicle" crowd are trying to feed their egos on road kill. A race track would be real competition, not fabricated metrics.

And maybe the mainstream American love for the automobile ended when the public could no longer get under the hood and tinker. (Not just real technology outreaching a basic education, but also environmental legislation prohibiting the public from poking around in the mandated "solutions".)

This would imply that the "because I can" response would only further inflame the reverse snobbery favored by modern "political correctness".

17. Timphy

Timphy Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Timphy
    DGS reminds us that, yes, indeed their is sum skollers out they're.

Truly a well-written post! Thank you!

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It is funny, I have been having some work done at my house and I try to hide the Fcars when people come to give estimates...they think I'm rich. Then I have to explain that the Ford F150 they drove up in cost them more than my 308! Other than that, I couldn't care less what people think of my Fcars.

Birdman

19. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting answers. I just dont get it with some people. I have an aunt that was bashing a relative of ours once for being successful. And I quote "Let him take care of it, he has lots of money"

I have one thing to say to that, aunt.........
    NO ONE STOPPED YOU FROM APPLYING YOURSELF IN LIFE AND SQUASHED YOUR EVERY CHANCE TO STRIVE FOR PERSONAL EXCELLENCE!

If your not happy with your life, CHANGE IT!!!!!

dont complain, invalidate or shrug off those who appreciate life and its offerings, tangible or not.

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought a Ferrari because I like Ferraris, and sports cars in general. Honestly, I don't live in the Taj Mahal, so I think (hope) most people will perceive me as a moderately well-off guy who just spends too much on cars.

That said, a couple of neighbors really wet their pants when I got my Porsche (993, used but looked like new). But they were gracious about it. Friends know that I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to cars, so I got more congratulations - and a few amicable "what are you, nuts?" reactions - but I don't think anyone was surprised.

As a rule, I don't bring the topic up unless I'm talking to other car enthusiasts or close friends. They usually know what a 328 is worth (and not worth) or know my lifestyle/income already, so it's no big deal. Oddly, I was more concerned when I had my BMW. Great car, but with the snob aura that comes with the universal status symbol.

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I find that people start to act weird when I mention anything about an F-car. It's as if they think that you're trying to say you're better. So as BF mentioned I don't bring it up with anyone other than a car nut. Plus IMO it's dumb to bring it up with anyone other than someone who can somehow aid in your future purchase of an F-car. There's too many "dream stealers" out there as it is without fueling another one ;)

22. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I have not even purchased and I am laying the groundwork to avoid aftershocks in my little town. When people hear that I am looking - and they do hear and they do ask about it - I remind them that it is an "older" car that depreciates like any other, and that ownership is not that expensive provided you take the time to learn and know what you are getting into. I sort of imply that if they were truly interested and wanted to spend the time immersed in the Ferrari world, they could do it to. It is even the truth! Most people seem to realize then that buying a Ferrari is a sign of an obsession, not a indicator of personal wealth. And the longer the search goes on, the more support I have for my position ("it took me MONTHS to find just the right car at a price I could afford...You really have to be careful!")

23. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    When I debated buying my 308 the only negative I kept coming up with is that freinds would be jealous. It turned out to be true, even freinds driving $30K motorcycles and even the one who owns $300K boat.

It is weird how people have reacted. When I took one of my employees for a ride, he got out and said "wow that's the most expensive car I've ever been in"...I said "lets go for a ride in my Chevy Tahoe it cost almost twice as much".

I've had the same problem as Birdman when my sprinkler guy came to winterize my lawn sprinklers he saw the car and said "now I know who my rich customers are"

I don't get it a new Corvette costs twice as much but gets half the attention and comments.

24. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    It's all in the perception, mystic and rarity of the breed.

25. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    A couple of "rules" (I'm using this term loosely) to follow:

1) Don't volunteer information that you got a Ferrari
    2) Don't deny it when asked
    3) Drive the car for enjoyment NOT flash value (although on a few occasions I'm a violator of this rule)
    4) If you work for someone: NEVER drive it to work
    5) If you own your own business: See Rule #4
    6) People critical of your decision are either a) jealous or b) your parents
    7) Be wary of people who distant themselves from you after you got your Ferrari. They are the one who tips the IRS anonymously
    8) Be wary of people who start to be your "good" friend after you got your Ferrari. They are the one who will likely borrow your keys, money, house, etc.
    9) Always be polite to the inquisitive mind. When you feel uncomfortable answering a question simply state: "gosh, I never thought of it that way. Let me get back to you on that."
    10) Please enjoy YOUR car...it is YOUR toy.