308 missing at over 5000Rpm | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 missing at over 5000Rpm

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by maurice70, Dec 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Hi maurice

With points ignition, you can use either, but with the electronic you must have Induction wound leads.

Those ebay leads look like they wouldn't work with the plug hole seals, and extensions very well.

The full set made locally to exactly suit your car (10 leads), in the nice bright red colour with (8) black rubberised non resistor extensions that work with the rubber hole seals nicely, were AUD$225 last time I retailed some (3 months ago).

You could save a little bit by buying yourself from www.superformance.co.uk but their leads, although very attractive, are not induction wound (or at least the std ones aren't).

Your lead cross firing may just be due to dirt BTW, try cleaning them, and then check again.

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Phil.Which company did you use to get the leads made up locally?I cleaned the leads prior to putting them back in the car with some meth/spirits

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Just an update on my problem.I replaced the HT leads with Bosch 8mm induction wound leads and the car runs perfect.It revs right up to 7500 without any hesitations at all.I cant believe what a difference a set of leads made.The downside is that the leads are black and not red but I can live with that.If I could really be bothered I could pull the leads off and put some red Heatshrink sheathing over them.The upside was the price.8 leads for $AUD 40 and with what I cut off from to of the longer leads I was able to make up the 2 coil leads.It sure was a pain in the butt to put the 8mm leads into the distributor caps.Just want to thank all of you guys that chimed in and helped out

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Good to hear.

I hope you used the opportunity to modify the cap end fittings, and use blunted spike screws "clamping" into proper metal HT terminals, instead of the std sharp screws piercing the cable.

I would have thought near zero personal labour and a couple of hundred bucks for correct colour and modified leads was money well spent, but you got it fixed which is important.

Now enjoy the car!

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Phil.I'll eventually order the correct leads from superformance.I only went for the Bosch leads because they were easily and readily available and to see if that was the cause of my problems.As for clamping the leads I didn't mod the screws as I didn't think about it at the time but it sounds like a good idea.Have you had problems with the stock set up?Where can I get proper metal HT terminals.I had a difficult time getting the 8mm leads in the distributor and couldn't imagine trying to do it with an external piece of metal clamped around the lead unless I strip back the silicone sheath.Is that the way to do it?I can always do it when I get the Superformance leads.Thanks again

6. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Before you go crazy, your points springs are worn out causing point float at high rpm. Go to an electronic setup. The msd will be more efficient with a sensor type system instead of points

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Phil,

could you explain me some details about the induction wound leads and the plug extensions ?
    Why does the electronic ignition system need induction wound leads definitely ?
    What is the correct resistance of the extensions ? Or the correct overall resistance from distributor cap to spark plug.
    I ask because my 308 has the electronic system and still the original leads, but when I replaced all extensions some years ago I got the red extensions with 2k ohm. On the Ferrari UK site for instance, these are listed for the 308 australian version.
    The original euro extensions are black and have 10k ohm.

And I wonder, because I have an everyday VW with electronic ignition but original copper leads without any resistance at all.

Best Regards and thank you

Martin