Buying a Brand New Boxer | FerrariChat

Buying a Brand New Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JTR, Dec 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    back in the 70s and 80s when the cars were new must have been an exciting adventure!
    But, just how did you go about doing it?
    Just pop into your local F-car dealer and pick one out?
    Or since they were always gray market cars, did you need to order one through one of the importers such as Amerispec, and skip the showroom floor?
    And what was the price of a brand new BB512? Does anyone have the original window sticker showing price and options?

Wish I could have done it back in 79, but I was busy buying a house at the time.

2. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Original owner paid 102k S&A Italia Sports Cars Sherman Oaks California 1984

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I think you would contact the various conversion companies and they would either buy you a brand new car or find you a used one then convert it.

Either that go to Europe and buy one yourself and find your own conversion, I think a few made it through the back doors here via Canada or Mexico never converted.

The dealers where of no hope other than contacts for various companies which brings an interesting point if the U.S. dealers never could sell a Boxer directly from the factory were they trained on servicing them here?

Keep in mind the Boxer was the first Ferrari to use belts and require an engine out service, something the mechanics at the dealers never experienced before.

4. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have the copy of the sale invoice for my BBi in 1984, the price paid was full list, which was 48,749 sterling pounds plus 391 for leather headlining.
    steve

5. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks guy!
    Not sure what 48K Pounds was to USD in 1984, but needless to say, the cars were on the pricey side!
    Pinnin512s 102K was almost as much as I paid for my house in 1979!

Happy New Year to All!

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have all the paperwork on mine-- it was purchased used in Europe when 1 year old, with ~3,500 km and imported, apparently on spec (or after the original buyer backed out-- I can't tell from the paperwork).

So I think the others are right-- you went to the importers.

My brother bought a number of gray market cars new in the 80s (no Ferraris, though), and he worked closely with an importer.

The question of the role of dealers is an interesting one, though. I'm pretty sure my local dealer bought at least one, maybe more, Boxers new, but then he's more of a collector/enthusiast than a typical dealer. I think he has three Boxers in his collection at the moment, but the line between "collection" and "inventory" has always been a bit blurry over there!

If you have an Amerispec-imported car, you can probably get their file on the car, with all of the purchase paperwork. I don't know about other importers-- most of them haven't lasted this long.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have copies of all the original paperwork on my BBi that was purchased brand new from the factory and shipped to the US.

Ferrari Factory invoice dated April 22, 1983

$61,500
    less special discount $6,500 (I don't know the story on the discount)
    Total: $55,000

Air freight from Italy to JFK in NY - $1,875.00
    Duty, broker (Skinner) and customs fees- $1,770.00
    Trucking from JFK to Amerispec- $251

Amerispec conversion fees: $11,800

Grand Total $70,696

The car was imported via Lake Forest Sportscars for a very good client (importer of record) and I don't know what their final markup was. Maybe the $6,500 discount on the factory invoice was their profit?

Quite a few magazine road tests at that time listed the US $ price at that time of around $100K on the carb BBs. I have not been able to find any car magazine reports on the later injected cars.

The June 1981 Car & Driver listed in their report that a 512BB was $115,000 (as tested) from Amerispec Corp.

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My car was a new Belgian 1983 car. - Francochamps in BE, sold the car to Mr. Lyons (the U.S. importer) from Alabama. I believe he is an attorney. He brought in several cars. I have all the papers, including a copy of the factory MSO.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

This is my story Too!

10. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't remember who imported mine, but it wasn't Amerispec. But I do have a paper from the importer, so I check it out when I get back home in a day or two. Probably one of the 'Out of Business' guys.
    So it seems these cars are still selling for about the original price, just minus Inflation! Whata deal!
    In the last two months aboard this boat, I've thought up all sorts of things to do to my car. New wheels, new tires, adjustable ride height shocks and new springs, new suspension bushings, and, and, and.... Someone grab my checkbook before it's too late!
    And thank you guys here on F-Chat for helping me keep my sanity while floating around out here!
    Friday morning, if San Diego weather cooperates, I'll be taking my baby out for a spin!
    Best Regards to all, John

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Mr. Lyons must have liked the tan dash !!!!!! LOL