it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me... | FerrariChat

it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me...

Discussion in '308/328' started by jjmalez, Dec 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    happy new year.

i was always a porsche guy until i saw a 1986 rosso corsa ferrari testarossa driving down my main street. i've been hooked ever since. i've always been passonate about the 80's ferrari: 328, testarossa, F40. even the mondial got me excited. the 90's ferraris were still hot: 456 gt, f355, f50, maranello... awesome!

today's ferrari are the most technologically superior cars ever built. but they don't excite me. the 575 maranello looked better as a 550. (hell, it looked better as a testarossa) the 612 is the most mundane looking ferreri i have ever seen (the 456 gt was striking) the f430 is the most potent v8 ferrari has ever made, but it looked better as a 360 modena.

i know looks are subjective. but the 328 and testarossa are to me, the most seductive cars built by ferrari. what happened to the sensuality from ferrari?

my $0.02

joseph

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Computer-aided design, wind tunnels, safety regulations, higher performance demands... yeah, aerodynamics isn't kind to massive straked side grilles, hood louvres, vented flat rear decks, etc. Airbags put a permanent end to the classic interiors.

But if you look at the performance figures for the competition, it's obvious that Ferrari can't keep churning out rolling sculptures that get skittish at 200mph. So you get cars like the 360/430 that leave the earlier cars in the dust and maybe don't look as Italian as they do "wind-tunnel compliant."

Most of us are influenced by our generational perspective -- i.e., I remember getting Road & Track when the 328 and TR were brand new and dorm room poster-worthy. But I agree that, to me, the scalloped and grille-laden '80s designs screamed 'Ferrari' in a way the 360/430 don't.

I don't see much difference in the 360 and 430, BTW. I can tell them apart, but the 360 was obviously the starting point for the 430, just as the 328 evolved from the 308. I kind of prefer the 355 and 328 among regular production Ferraris over the last 25 years, but I saw a silver 360 spider downtown last weekend and it's great looking.

The silver lining is that mere mortals can now afford these '80s machines. Frankly, I'd be more ticked off if the 360 was a $60K car and 328's were fetching $120K. So count your blessings.

ragtop1 likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    me too

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Happy New Year Joseph,

Your perception is obviously distorted due to your spelling of the word "VERMOUTH":) I know, "typo":)

Cheers, Hank

5. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Me three, Doctor!

I'm the happy owner of a classic, iconic Ferrari of the 80's that looks as good(or better) than anything made recently.

No desire whatsoever for anything newer.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks department..I agree. But one spin a an F430 with the F1 will change all that in a few seconds I would think. It did it to me...

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I too am a biased owner of a "classic" Ferrrari Testarossa, I'm on my 2nd TR now. For now I'd never consider anything else but a TR. I know the cars in and out, do my own services, and I have to have a 12 cylinder car that looks exotic. The TR is an incredible blend of straight lines and curves....really a masterpiece that worked in the real world. And my most recent TR looks quite modern with 360 wheels on it. I do love the 360 Modena though, it looks better than the F430. They couldn't improve upon perfection so anything done to the shape is a downhill move. My other dream car with a V8 is of course the bad-a$$ F-40. That car is all business and I just love it to death. I've had the honor of riding in an F-40 on the track and it was awesome to say the least. That F-40 was making around 520 hp at the wheels and was a handful...but the driver was great and knew just when turbo boost was coming on and feathered it just right. Some day I would like to get a nice driver 308 for my girlfriend (wife someday....?). She has driven my TR and is very smooth and respectful of it. And she would look great in a red 308...kinda like Christy Brinkley did in that movie. I agree about shapes and the "art" of Ferraris getting watered down by regulations and expectations, trying to please too many people. I'll stick with the classic cars for now.....besides I have no choice as I'm just a regular joe with a factory job, living in a hick-town, trying to avoid the redneck pickups who take joy in aiming their tail pipe into my open window and flooring it! Especially those hopped up diesel trucks! I'm hoping that Ferrari does a modern rendition of the TR without destroying it's heritage. It will have to have the cheese graters of course. Long live the classics!

8. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Give that jjmalez a cigar !

9. fioranotestpilot

fioranotestpilot Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    australia
    Full Name:
    andrew pontone
    True maybe we get caught in our own time warp era, but some cars will always excite you more than others, I'm on my 4th ferrari now, I have a 348 TS, each one was a different drive but all gave me an awesome feeling at 200 + km's on the Hwy. If i was to move on I wouldn't touch a 612 or 550, 575 there pensioner cars for old farts that have retired. Ferrari need to wake up and forget the family coupes, besides who wants them in the car anyway, Taking a wife for a drive is a waste of space, they really don't get it anyway. There more like a human handbrake. The kids will throw up at some stage on the leather seats if you do, BAN FAMILY FERRARI cars and stick to 2 seater sports cars that excite , V6 V8 V12 any engine combo will do. Plus 612 , 550, 575 are already taking a bath dollar wise. Someone I know just picked up a 2 year old 550 for half the cost price with only 2000 k's on the speedo, Next car a 360 F1 spider would do me well.
    Andrew (PS LOVE THE WIFE & KID ) LOL

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whut he said. In my case, it was Challenge Stradale on the track. Say what you will. Say what you want. That goes down as one of the best days of my life.

Dale

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Give me a F512M over any of the current offerings.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

The M? Really?? I could see the 512TR, but the M really bastardized the styling of the TR

13. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Long live the 328. 512TR addition hopefuly in the future.
    With today's cars, performance wise, there is no contest. Fore one-day track, again no contest. But I want to live with the little thing, when I am home it is my daily driver. And in the real world (i.e. outside the track) I cannot even reach the 80% of the potential of the 328.
    That is the reason why I'd still have my 328 even if they should offer me a 360.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Each his own. I love the M.

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    I WOULD love to replace my F512M but what else can i get that dont have all the electronic driving aids on it NOTHING all this F1 crap is for girls ferrari dont make proper cars anymore

16. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    F1 is great steve,so are V8's :D

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm one of those "mere mortals"! I'm sure glad that 328s were within reach. (But parts & service are still a pain in the wallet.)

18. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Karting

Mar 23, 2005
    Raleigh, NC - USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well said... glad you said all that, 'cuz that's too much typing for me this morning. :)

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The electronics in the new cars scare me. I think there will be a future generation of Ferrari fans that will not be able to afford to get something like an F430 as a starter Ferrari as very few will be able to keep them running compared to the simple cars like the 308/328.

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, Erik for a young guy, you sure sound like on old fart.

Yes, the electronics are a pain the butt, but there will be a whole new generation of carreapers who will figure this out. Just ask Brian or Dave about this. The new cars CAN be worked on.

Although I will admit that this stuff has gone way overboard. Biodegradable wiring harnesses. Geeze Louise!

Dale

PS I once had a check engine light problem with the Maranello. The head service guy told me to just cover up the light with black masking tape and don't worry about it until the time for the next inspection.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Figuring it out isn't what bothers me. It's paying for it.

The 355 is the only "modern" Ferrari that has ever gotten my attention. I could see myself buying one of those. Otherwise, I'm staying with anything pre-1989.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My '02 BMW 325 had some computer glitches that made it stall, and caused the automatic gearbox to clunk as it downshifted. The techs uploaded some patches to the software and lo, well-behaved BMW (although they aren't sure they ever figured out the cause of the stalling - and it only happened once).

My take is that all this technology makes the cars less interesting to drive, and when things go wrong it takes specialized equipment to troubleshoot. Frankly all this stuff like keyless-go, distronic cruise control and so on adds nothing to the driving experience. Ferrari hasn't sold its soul the way Mercedes has (the 560SL was a cool car - the new ones have more sensors, processors and motors than a NASA project). So apart from the styling, which I think was the main point of this thread, new cars have just about engineered themselves out of the driving entertainment biz.

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Happy New Year to all.

As I have maintained elsewhere, when buying an exotic, the purchase game is somewhat redefined. You are not merely buying transportation. You are buying into an experience. One defined (at least for me) along the lines of design, performance, heritage and - to lesser degrees since I'm not a gazillionaire - maintenance and depreciation.

And while Ferrari has progressed handily with each new iteration of recent cars as it relates to performance, maintenance and depreciation (it actually provides lucky buyers of entry-level Ferrari's at MSRP with "negative depreciation") it is losing the race in the looks department.

Although I wasn't paying attention at the time of the launches of the 3x8's, the 355 or the SuperCars of the past, I always get the sense from those who talk about it that these were marvellous events - a gush of adrenaline for the Ferrari junkies who salivated over each new model (ok perhaps not the 348 as much but you get the point). Even now the 308's, the 328's and the 355's have a certain sense of style and purpose that draw crowds all day long. Even while they're standing still.

And while nobody can argue with the 360's technological prowess over the 355, or the fact that the F430's take it even one step further, I do find both sorely lacking that "X-factor." You know, the one that makes you stop for an extra couple of seconds before you leave the garage to take one last look at her. I find the 360 and the F430, for lack of a better word, bulbuous. Large. Wide. And lacking finesse. I do not believe I am alone. Even beyond those that have contributed to this thread, one only needs to search under "360" and "design" to find thread upon thread on this site debating the relative styling merits. I would hasten to think the proponents for and against were so divided for models past.

Sure, to Dale's point, there is a balance between design and performance, and for some, the performance of these recent cars are awesome enough to counterweigh any misgivings on design. But not for me. That's why, despite being a huge Ferrari fan, the car being delivered to me tomorrow is not a 360 or an F430, but rather a Lamborghini Gallardo. Sure, it's a little heavier. And less lithe with it's AWD system. But boy does that car have the X-factor. It makes me WANT to go to the garage at 5am, turn on the key to listen to that sonerous V10 and just drive. And when buying one of these, that's the ONLY way you should feel.

Best.

24. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    i agree the experience but the buying into the enzo mindset is like no other car.italian cars have always led the the way.i have my opion . the v8 may well pass the 348,55,60 some day .i have to say some of the cars are current with tech and art/beauty while some have missed the mark .may enzo rest in peace. they all still say ferrari whether you want to accept it or not. nothing is like a ferrari when you enter his mindset. forza ferrari

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    See that would piss me off to no end. If there is a problem, fix it.

Yes, there will be a new generation of reapers, but are they going to be driving around with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree in between "fixes"?