355 F1 Transmission problems | FerrariChat

355 F1 Transmission problems

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 355nz, Jan 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355nz

355nz Rookie

Jan 1, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have recently purchased a 1997 355 GTBwith a F1 gearbox.

Unfortnately it has spent more time in the workshop than my garage. Fortnately I purchased from a authorised dealer (they have been excellent) and they are covering all repair costs, although I live 6 hours away from the nearest dealer so have to transport it each time it breaks down - which has now occurred 4 times in just 3 months.

The problem that occurs is when I am driving (generally in any gear 2 or above) I lose all power and the car automatically selects neutral. Not a good thing to happen when you are on the wrong side of the road passing someone.

I think it is a communication problem between the gearbox and the engine.

Has anybody experienced any problems like this or can shed any light on the issue.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS - had orginally posted this in the model specific forum.

2. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    I've got a customers 360GT doing a very similar thing. From time to time it will stay in 2nd gear or it will select neutral (from any gear) if it ever gets near the rev limiter. It does this for exactly half a second (we know this from the data log trace) and then puts itself into 6th gear.

Everything has been replaced on this car bar the TCU which is next.

3. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    #3 ROLOcr, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    something similar happened to us a couple of times, first time it was due to overheating in the gearbox,
    second was when this broke where i draw the arrow(i can´t remember the correct translation for this piece, this goes in the gearbox, and connects the differential with the halfshaft assembly. somebody help me with the name please, thank you

it broke and the car kept going but went into neutral a couple of times and finally it didn´t move at all
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    That output shaft is from a 360 (there has been 2 upgrades, the one pictured is either the 2nd or 3rd type, but not the first),

The 360 F1 system bares very little similarity to the 355 one.

EFi... the 360GT has a protection strategy for the limiter, the only way to remove it is to use an earlier N-GT TCU, but we can't because of the current gear ratios...

355NZ, I wish I could help you. Apart from checking the F1 pump relay and system on an SD1/2, the clutch condition and set up etc, you're flying blind.

What circumstances does it go to Neutral... full power/rpm limiter?, just normally/ in traffic (clutch overheating)?

5. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i had this same problem with my 355f1. after no help from the dealer i decided to trace out the problem myself. it turned out to be the hood latch switch losing contact and telling the system that the engine cover was open. after a little adjustment the problem was fixed.i haven't had any more problems since.

6. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    yes it is from a 360, its the original one, we installed an upgrade after that

7. 355nz

355nz Rookie

Jan 1, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    ferrarifixer - goes into neutral when just operating normally - ie cruising.

khughes - yes this is what they thought was the initial problem (sensor on engine cover) - will check it out again