Attending United States F1 | FerrariChat

Attending United States F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Easyrider7467, Jan 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello,
    I'd like to attend F1 in US this year. Not sure if its too late but I'd appreciate some input about..........

Where is the best place to sit?

Where to stay?

Are these race packages that are available the way to go?

I would want nothing more than to attend an international event oneday too.

Thanks, Have a Healthy and Happy New Year. J.

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I front of you TV is the best place to sit, preferably in a nice soft lazy boy.........

..........that way when Bernie and Co. screw us over again you can switch to NASCAR :)

Regards,

Jon

3. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    The problem is the stay, not tickets but the US F1 has been known to screw with the race too!!!!!!!!!

4. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Where to sit is easy. Just past Turn 1 is the best view in my opinion because you can see alot of the track. If that is sold out then just buy a ticket anywhere because you can sit just about anywhere else you want. I usually go to the start finish for the start and finish. DUH. In between I walk to the infield and watch from various corners.

Where to stay is hard. This year it falls on 4th of July weekend so everything might be sold out allready. Ive stayed outside of town before, and just drove in everyday. you might have to do that this year if you cant get a local hotel.

good luck.

5. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Hi John,

I sat in front of the start/finish line; the problem is you can only see the straight and turn 13-you cannot see across the track because of the pagoda and the pits. The only way i could see all the action was on the small tv screens across the track.

On the official website you can order a brickyard box lunch-it was very convienient, just go pick it up anytime during race day. Lots of food.

6. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    we usually stay outside town and then drive up. save a lot on hotel expenses. this year we stayed in bloomington. its about an hour away from Indy. and since its a college town there is stuff to do at night. in 03 we stayed in some small town - seymour. it sucked ... there was absolutely nothing to do. (but hotels were cheaper too)

also if you are buying tickets ...just buy them on the official website. i always see people selling tickets on ebay for a premium, which is stoopid because you can almost always get a ticket from the official website.
    and like someone said earlier.... once you are in you can sit pretty much anywhere you want, no one really checks row/seat number.

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Where we have always had seats, they checked your tickets on Sunday. Saturday you purchase GA tickets which enables you to sit anywhere.

Please check the following thread originating on 17 December:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86694

If you did a search, you will probably find more info.

Carol

8. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    If you want to save some money on your room, try using Hotwire. Yes, you only get to choose the area and the kind of hotel, not the exact place, but I've used it for last year and this coming year's trip, and we're only paying $75 a night for a hotel just north of downtown. Tried calling the hotel before I used hotwire this time (the Renaissance Towers Inn) and they told me they were fully booked for that weekend. 5 minutes on hotwire and we had a room!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I park in this lady's yard for $20 a day, and camp there......three houses from the Turn 4 (Indy) gate!

I just leave all my gear, and it's STILL way cheaper than a room! LOL!

I help her park cars too, she gives me a discount......

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Do a FChat search.

Parking: Drive to the airport, follow the race parking signs, pay to park. Buy a round trip ticket for the shuttle bus directly to the track. You will get off at the 500 Turn One in less than 20 minutes. After the race, walk back out just past the 500 Turn One, board the shuttle bus marked airport, return to your car in less than 20 minutes.

Hotel: The local chamber has a program to help visitors find rooms during race weekends. Keep checking the chains for cancellations.

Where to sit: Road course Turn One, H & J stands are great, when the weather is nice. I prefer to sit in one of the covered stands in case it rains, usually right at the S/F line, opposite Victory Circle. You can see the pit stops from here also, and the Jumbotron TV's.

Keep in mind, last year it was not the promoters that ruined the race, it was Michelin and their wonderful teams.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Last year we bought General Admission tickets, $60 or thereabouts for the whole weekend. For practice and qualifying we sat in several of the grandstands, for the Bridgestone Tire Test we were in the infield by turn 8 or 9 (can't remember the turn numbers at the moment). Make sure you're recording the race so you can 'see' everything later. The Speed TV audio was on the radio, so we could keep up with the action.

We parked in the lot outside of turn 1/ turn 13 where the track's offices are located, easy in and out.

12. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks everyone!

Yes, I remember last years race. I couldnt believe my eyes!!!!

BIGTEX, are you kidding?? Thats great!!!

Sitting in front of the TV? Hmmmm, what if..... Maybe I can start my car, shut the A/C in the house off, hire a hot dog stand etc, etc, etc. blast the surround sound. Hmmmmmm.

Happy New Year.

13. 1badimport

1badimport Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    Indiana
    We sat in turn 12 last year. It wasn't to bad. You could see the short shoot and the last little bit of the road course.

I stay at my families house for all the races in Indy. It's about 3 blocks from the track. The best of both worlds. Free room, and real close to the action..

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, it was Standard Procedure for Indy 500, and the F1 event did not have many 'campers' at all. They all saturated the hotel market for a three state area!

I have the address and phone number.....and there was this cute Yellow Hat college girl......

15. Jayson@IGF

Jayson@IGF Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    Mountain Home, AR
    Full Name:
    Jayson Cotter
    How is the Renaissance Towers? I just got a room there through Hotwire.

I have been staying at the Hilton family hotels in Indianapolis since they are nice rooms for about $20 more than what a standard room at a chain costs on race weekend. I've stayed in Suites at both the Homewood Suites and Doubletree for $170 per night which I think is the normal rate instead of an inflated race weekend rate.

I would have stayed at one of those places again, but my brother is going with me and suggested we go on the cheap. Which is ok as we wont be hanging out in the room much anyways.

16. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    It's an older hotel, so the furniture isn't brand spanking new, if that matters to you, but the rooms are a decent size, they were clean and the bed was comfy, plus you can get Speed TV on cable (Le Mans was on at the same time last year, so that was a big plus). You can easily walk downtown in the evening too, so you don't have to drink and drive. For the price I think it's a perfectly reasonable place to stay. More character than one of the big chains.

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Hey Guys,
    Try the new Indianapolis Conrad. 243 luxury room hotel in the heart of downtown by the Ferrari gathering, food, etc...
    Opening this spring. Heard some race teams are booked there.
    If you (or your wife) needs to be pampered for the weekend, this is the place.

www.conradhotels.com

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Indy Conrad and Hilton are full as of 01/05/06. The Hampton downtown wants $389/night.

The suburbs sound better every day.

19. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Section H top row! 25seconds of viewing pleasure

20. Jayson@IGF

Jayson@IGF Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    Mountain Home, AR
    Full Name:
    Jayson Cotter
    That's what I was wanting to hear.

If anybody's looking for a nice place to stay with the wife and/or kids try the Homewood Suites by Hilton at the Crossing 1-317-253-1919

The rooms are like small apartments with seperate bedroom(s) and a sleeper sofa for the kids. They also have 2 TVs in each room, a full size fridge, range, microwave, and dishwasher. The rate last year was $189 a night, for a 1 bedroom w/ King.

It's also near a Crab Shack, Olive Garden, Shopping etc and about 20 min from the track.

21. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    I forgot to add that our room also had a small kitchen attached, so there was a fridge, hob and oven if you fancied cooking for yourself.

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Just bought my tickets in grandstand J. This is going to be my first F1 race, so I can't wait. Thanks to everyone that posted information on best seats and stuff on the couple threads that have been posted on this topic. It really helped me pick where I should sit and I appreciate it.

Mark