How to charge 360 battery after christmas | FerrariChat

How to charge 360 battery after christmas

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SKOOPS_UK, Jan 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    OK, i hoped it wouldnt but engine wont turn over. Is there some kind of trickle charge device i can buy to recharge the battery. Or, shoudl i call out Ferrari assistance again. Garage has juice so time not a problem. Only went away for two weeks. Any advice welcome, Thanks.

2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I'm sorry I can't help you with your current predicament but going forward have you considered fitting a Battery Isolator?
    Foskers fitted one when I bought my car many years ago and I have never looked back.

3. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    i left a trickle charger on my 360 all the time it was in the garage to avoid exactly your predicament. they plug into the cigarette lighter and you can leave connected all the time as it will regulate current flow to the battery when needed and prevent any risk of overcharging.

4. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    Thanks. So hows it work. I plug into mains and the other end goes in the cigar lighter? I Remember not orderin teh £400 option when i bought teh car. Is there an aftermarket product?

5. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do a search for an Optimate III about £40 and can be left on all year if you want, they are a good bit of kit, never have a flat battery again

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    We stock a charger with cigarette lighter adaptor for £44.10 plus tax, part number reference MC3750/50

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #7 Ferrari_tech, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can find the battery master switch on 360's in the luggage department. The only downside in using the switch is that when turning back on you will have to let the car run for several minutes so that the ECU's can be re-initialised, you will also have to reset the stereo memory etc.

The other thing to bear in mind is that when turning off the master switch you are also turning off the alarm system, so better check with your insurance company.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Of course, my old girl hasn't any of these new fangled electronic aids.
    Plus 8-track Tape Decks don't need memory.

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Not a bad thing, at least when something goes wrong it can be fixed easily and not cost a fortune.

10. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    But you should try finding 8-track tapes - the staff in the Virgin Megastore haven't a clue ;-)

11. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Yeh, like rocking horse **** - car boot sales are a better bet

12. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    Thanks everyone - much appreciated

13. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    You probably need 0.5" or 1" tape. Should be available through shops that sell recording studios stuff - even home recording. There are quite a few on Charing Cross road in London I think.

First time I heard of someone having an 8 track in the car...

Sorry for the thread hijack.

14. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Hi,
    I haven't got an 8-track tape deck but apparently they use 1/4" tape - and as this website (http://www.recording-history.org/HTML/8track1.htm) states in its opening paragraph - 'it has become an icon of obsolescence'
    I was amazed that anyone remembered them!

15. Hesham Masoud

Hesham Masoud Rookie

Jan 2, 2006
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Hesham Masoud
    Thanks for the hint, I would appreciate to know more as where and who is we you are referring to (can not find Ferrari_Tech on the Net), as I was about to use my Porsche cigarette lighter adaptor but realised that I am technicly useless and could cause a problem as I do not know what Voltage is my 360 etc.! so I would like to buy one too.

16. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    I used my porsche (cig lighter) trickle charger (it was less than £40 four years ago and it was a stock item at the OPC in East London) in my 355 without any problems and have used it for around a year or so now on my Gallardo without a problem. Its a 12v negative earth device. Your owners guide should confirm that the 360 is a 12v -ve earth vehicle

17. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    I have used 8 trackes with both 1" and 0.5" in recording sudios as late as 1995 I guess. There were still popular in small, semi-pro and audio-for-video studios. Though even back then they were being phased out by PC / Mac based digital multi channel recording devices.

Nothing come close in term of sound quality to these old analogue tapes, especially the 1" running 30 IPS.

18. SKOOPS_UK

SKOOPS_UK Karting

Feb 6, 2004
    I purchased the Halfords 'all battery types' trickle charger for £27 (reduced from 35!) as i couldn't find the optimate III in the shop. Have to say the halfords own worked really well. I connected it to the barrety posts behind the seats as was suggested and within 6 hours the battery was charged. Even managed to get a sneaky drive out for 30 mins to celebrate.

19. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Page 5.19 of my 360 Owners Manual says "Do not use devices to be conected to the cigar-lighter".

Page 5.18 advises that you should disconnect the terminals from the battery poles before charging.

Is this just being ulta cautious or is charging in any other way a risk?