AM Vanquish | FerrariChat

AM Vanquish

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by mrmckay, Jan 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone in the local DC / Mid-Atlantic area have any experience w/ one of these? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts / chat w/ you. Particularly as to how it compares to the 550 / 575 if you've had some seat time in both.

Regards,
    Chris

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm currently considering one, but an S model. I've spoken with the dealer, and his comment to me was that the ordinary Vanquish would be too "soft" for me (given my driving backgroud and current vehicles).

A pal of mine with a Barchetta just test drove a Vanquish with many of the S upgrades and wasn't impressed. He took back his deposit.

However, our conclusions are that AM has the best lines in the business. Period. Once the depreciation is mostly out of them, they seem fairly affordable to purchase. Can't say anything with respect to maintenance. You might, however, go to the AM Owner's Site (amoc.org, I think). There is a forum there discussing the Vanquish ad nauseum.

That said, the consensus is that the paddle-shift tranny is not very good (you can also watch the Top Gear episode comparing the S to a 575 with the GTC handling package). Also, specifically, my friend mentioned that he felt the AM's seats are like "overstuffed couches". In comparison to the Barchetta (also his previous Maranello and 348), the AM was of little interest to him.

Problem is that the car is just so beautiful, I can't put it out of my mind.

CW

3. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    The shop where I work has done repairs on both. Have riden in the Vanquish and lean towards it.

http://www.hbloftysons.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=5851176

See Phillip Jones @ HBL of Tysons.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    FYI, I believe that car was sold. I could be wrong, though. That was the car that my pal had a deposit on. I stopped by to speak with Philip last weekend, and I didn't see the car anywhere, although it might have been somewhere else on the lot. However, there was an S, DB9 Volante (convertible) and DB7 GT on the floor.

CW

5. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I plan on stopping by the dealership this weekend. I have the same problem I think the Vanquish is quite a gorgeous car. I might inquire about the availablity of the AMV8 as well but I think I would need the 12.

Regards,
    Chris

6. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why not consider the DB9?

7. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I saw the Vanquish with the dynamic handling package at HBL. Beautiful car, but I think it had a nice sized ding on the passenger door. I agree with CW, the Vanquish S is the way to go. Especially now that the DB9 is as powerful as the base Vanquish. Good luck!!!

Tom

8. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Chris---when will it stop ;)

Antony

9. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Think ding is fixed. If you notice anything cosmetic issues, point out to Phillip and it'll get fixed. HBL is one of few Aston Martin certified collision repair facilities.

And if you're are looking for a certain car not on showroom floor, ask. The former Security Storage warehouse across RT7 is leased by HBL and full of new cars.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    TomC,

My own personal feeling about the DB9 is that it has a softer look about it. It's nice, but maybe in a more feminine way. The Vanquish is just so much more aggressive. Also, I don't care as much for the center console in the DB9 (nor do I care for the wood finish...the DB9 Volante they have has bamboo treatment). Although, the S they have on the floor is an '06, so it has the updated interior. Finally, the Vanquish has a screen-based nav! For a $255K car, you'd expect more.

CW

11. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    CW:

The Vanquish has such a beautiful yet menacing rear. The way the underbody aerodynamics and large exhaust pipes protrude...it should almost be illegal...way too distracting for motorists following. The DB9 is by no means ugly or unattractive.... it just doesn't have that same "wow" factor. Maybe it is the sleeker feminine lines (as you suggested) that toned down overall effect. Plus the Vanquish has that deeper front chin spoiler with the classic fog lamps. The DB9 lacks these integrated fog lamps, which was a huge disappointment as I loved them on the outgoing DB7 Vantage/GT. They really improved the look over the previous supercharged DB7's...IMHO.

Tom

12. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    We repaired a DB7 that was rear-ended on the Beltway by some econobox. The AM's rear bumper had the imprint of the econobox's front license plate stamped into it. The driver of the AM had a HUGE cup of coffee that splattered the entire leather interior and electronics. Costly repair. I bet the econobox driver's insurance company dropped him. My advise, don't follow any exotic closely.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I was rear-ended in McLean (back-up at the onramp to GW Parkway) in my ex-'83 512BBi by a blond, on the phone, rushing to get to the beach on a Friday afternoon. She basically cracked the fiberglass bumper cover and bent the Michelotto exhaust header. $12K. And, it wasn't even her car. It was a loaner.

I was rear-ended in my '89 Lotus by a guy who thought his Ford Taurus could out accelerate and then out brake it at a stoplight on Rte 7. $10K.

Same '83 BBi was parked in Tyson's at the office building. A "maintenance"-style (according to witnesses) pickup backed into the rear-end, scribbled a note on paper and left it under the wiper, and left. He scribbled a non-active number. Lots of metal and paint work. $25K.

Goes with the territory!

But, I take no delight in other's suffering. Except the suffering of the guy that left the fake phone number. BTW, I sold the BBi last year (an E55 and a M3 for the same reason...bad karma!).

CW

14. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    I strongly think thew DB9 is a much better car, get it in a stick, same engine at the Vanquish, and wow factor? I sawa gun mental one going by me, gorgeous car with those LED lights in the headlamps. Vanquish is a gorgeous car, but for the money DB9 is where its at.

Tom

15. NigelM5

NigelM5 Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Full Name:
    NIGEL
    Definintely go with the Vanquish 'S' . The Vanquish "not - S" is simply not worth the $$ over a DB9. 06 is the last production year for Vanquish till it's redone and rumor has it that there will be a delay before the replacement is out. My recommendation would be to go with a six-speed DB9 though. I recommend Aston of Tysons and Philip Jones.

16. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nigel,
    Thanks for the info. I must admit the DB9 is growing on me. ( I should have taken a closer look at yours at Peter's party!. ) I'm torn between the Vanquish and DB9 now.

Regards,
    Chris

17. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Nigel, would you please post some pics of your DB9? And your other cars?? I've been dying to see them. I have read your profile a lot!

18. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Nigel has some nice cars....I wont forget the day Jon, Nigel, and myself went for a drive through those hills.

I saw the DB9 at MK's house and it looked amazing. Ill find some pics and post it for you gay boy (Noah)

Antony

19. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    thank you guido

20. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Just found this thread when running a search on Vanquishes...

I too am considering picking up a Vanquish. I was at the Detroit auto show the other day and stopped by Aston to check out the AMV8, which I had a deposit on for almost 3 years, but had recently took back due to losing interest in the car. I'm just not crazy about the rear of the AMV8. It reminds me of an Eagle Talon from the early 90s.

I did however gain interest in the Vanquish for the first time. The general manager of my local dealership said he could get me an '04 black/black 2+2 with 3850 miles for about $160k. I did some looking around and found that it's a good price. I know the S is better and even though I would prefer it, it's not worth the extra $ IMO, especially what it would cost in depreciation over the course of time I owned it. Like "CornersWell" said above, once the initial hit they take on depreciation is out of them, they're more worth it. I agree.

mrmckay and CornersWell, have either of you have made any decisions yet since your original posts in this thread?

Edit: Ehh, scratch that, just found out that the Vanquish the general manager was talking about is an '02, not an '04, which makes me not interested in this specific car, but I'm still considering a Vanquish.

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Jeff,

I got pretty close to pulling the trigger on the S. All that was left was a test drive. Then, I had to pay my estimated tax bill! Easy come, easier go! Uncle Sam, once again, is driving MY car!

Seriously, though, the longer I wait, the better the price will be. I think the $160K number is good. Really good. I also want to test drive the DB9 in stick, so I'm waiting for one to come in. Apparently, they are as rare as hen's teeth.

CW

22. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd prefer a stick as well and have heard they're pretty rare as well! I thought I saw a couple of drautos.com though.

Regards,
    Chris

23. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    January 20, 2006

Dear Mr.McKay,

I belive you are the only one who writes post in a formal way. Did you decide which place your going boarding?

Warm Regards,

Antony Radbod

24. Future F430 Driver

Jul 31, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    JT
    I lived in the same apt building that Jose Guillen (RF for the Wash Nats) lived in and his was the first one saw late spring. The car is gorgoeus, a real stunner. One problem Eteban Loiza was also in the building and drove an F430 Spyder talk about wanting to wake up and get in my car in the morning!!!

25. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Antony,
    Sorry for being so formal. Yes I did...it looks like I'm going to snowbird. I should know in a week or two what the dates are.

Regards,
    Chris