Mondial Owners - check in! | FerrariChat

Mondial Owners - check in!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Perfusion, Jan 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Somehow, someway...the car that was once my least favorite Ferrari has *really* grown on me, and just might be my first. There's an 85QV Cab in my area that's fairly priced, so I'll hopefully be able to take a look this coming week.

I've searched the archives 'til I was blue in the face, and the majority of the threads have dealt with the 3.2s or the Ts (coupe or cab). I'd like to hear from the QV owners (although all others are encouraged to participate as well) on your experiences thusfar with your Mondi.

So far, what I've gathered is this:

- the electrical system -- *ugh* -- but not a true nightmare...just "finnicky"
    - they're heavy, and don't perform like a same-year 308
    - Coupes are more stiff than cabs, but cabs can offer me something (hint, hint - California) that a coupe can only do with a sunroof
    - Cabs might leak in the rain
    - Original wheels/tires HAVE to go. Too pricey for replacement tires - 348 upgrade is common, I see, but I think I'd probably go the Speedline route out of preference
    - Coupe 30k is engine-IN; Cab 30k is engine-OUT (crap)
    - Nobody likes the black bumbers of the 8/QVs...

Now...a couple of questions:

- What kinds of exhuast (Tubi/Ansa) are available for a QV Mondial? Price?
    - How is the top-down experience at cruising speeds?
    - What's the thing you like LEAST about your Mondi?
    - What's the thing you like BEST?

Oh...I could go on and on, but let's leave things as they are for now and see where they go. Many thanks, in advance, for everyone's input/suggestions!

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Exhaust -- I just put an ANSA on my '84 Mondi QV last spring. It's great, was not that expensive (under $1K). Several other excellent systems are available in S.S., would have considered the Larini at around $1500.

My car is a coupe so can't tell you what top down is like, but go out and drive the car. You'll find out quickly enough. My guess, it's probably good. You might have to put the windows up if too much buffeting, but the car is fairly aerodynamic, so should be okay.

What I like least about the car? It would be a lot more fun with a lot more HP. The electricals can be a little dicey, but if you work through them, clean connections and make sure you have a good battery with a good ground, you should be okay.

What I like the most? It's a really fun car to drive, handles really well, and is easy to work on and so far has been very reliable. Great car for cruising on the open road and is a blast on the track, albeit a bit underpowered. Plus, it's a Ferrari.

3. tifosi013

tifosi013 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2005
    Fresno, Cal.
    Full Name:
    Larry Powell
    Aaron;

I have a '83 QV cabriolet. It needed a "friend" although it has been
    O.K. mechanically. Top down in California is great! Very little wind
    buffeting and really not too noisy.

I changed wheels to SL Peformance 17" and Avon "55" series tires.
    It raised the ride height 1" but IMHO looks really good. The taller
    section tires keep the car from looking like a DUB special. Drives
    like a dream!! The TRX/ Michelins are in storge.

No spider is going to be as stiff as a closed car..side and roof cross-section
    etc. just aren't there. The cab. can be driven briskly without too much
    head shaking and dash flex. The Mondial is a GT car, not a boy-racer.
    Just pick your roads and competition, a well-driven Subaru will kill you!

I have some minor electrical issues, clock, windows, A/C, etc. but that
    seems to be standard equipment. Marelli/ Bosch evidently went to the Lucas
    Electrical Academy of Auto Wiring. I think some Yankee elbow-grease and
    possibly a Delco-Remy part here and there can fix most of it.

As for the rest.....Birdman and Verrel can probably help. My advice is
    go for it!! It really is a Ferrari, both good and bad. We all can't afford
    California Roadsters or #250-TRs. Besides, those are garage furniture and
    "art" now, they can't be driven by mortal souls.

Tifosi013

4. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the reply, both of you. Larry - would you mind shooting me an email with a couple exterior shots of your car? I'd love to see what it looks like with the aftermarket wheels.

As for getting out and driving the car, that was #1 on my "Things to do" list this weekend, but the seller will be out of town, so I'll have to wait until next week. C'mon! Who lists a car for sale, and then bails out of town?!? I know, I know... Probably just a coincedence, but sheesh - people are on pins and needles here!

Anyway, keep the input coming - I really appreciate it!

5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    hello,

30K service on any mondial is "engine out"

i looked at a 85 mondial coupe several years ago but passed and chose a porsche instead (wrong choice) what i liked most about the mondial is it's quirky looks (especially in the coupe) kinda a cab-backwards design. plus because it's is rather unloved among many tifosi, you can get a mondial for 33% less than a same year 308. what kept me from buying the ferrari and getting the porsche instead was two things, very high maintenance costs and no ferrari dealership within 60 miles of my residence.

enjoy,

joe

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks, Joe. I appreciate your input!

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    4 seats, luggage space, comfortable.......makes a great cruiser and I dont see 50 a day like 911's or m3's

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    the 30K is only neccesarily engine out on a Mondial t; M8s, QVs and 3.2s typically have this service with the engine in.
    That said, it's not that big a deal to drop it if you have a lift and dolly.

In order of things I would do:

Newer technology 16" or 17" tires/wheels as mentioned; The 17" 348 wheel is becoming a common popular upgrade, I opted for oem 17" dealer option speedlines. Every Mondial OEM tire, both the Michelin TRX and Goodyear Gatorbacks are total crap compared to even mid-range newer tires. The difference in driving on new tech tires, even in the original 16" sizes, is AMAZING.

Change all of the relays every 10 years. Use the plastic bodied replacements for the OEM metal (see Mondial Electrical System thread)

Keep it on a battery tender if you do not drive it much

Free flow exhaust - pick one you like. I had a tubi but liked one I made better.

Did I mention tires? :)

Drive it - a lot - you'll find that the car is happier if you push it just a bit; like a thoroughbred horse, you have to show it who is the boss.

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Great choice, I think you'll like the Mondial cab so long as she's fairly reliable for you. I have an '88 3.2 cab - love it.

Top down driving is a pleasure - modest buffeting at 75 (gets pretty windy at 140 however). With a performance (translation: no cat) exhaust system the performance is really pretty good, at least it is on the 3.2. I put in a straight pipe ("test pipe") in place of the cat and added a Stebro stainless exhaust which likely adds 12-15hp and sounds wonderful. You won't sneak up on anybody however, even at idle.

Definitely go with the 16 inch speedlines - this will look stock ('86 onwards) and you can use standard US size tires.

Electrical system has been trouble free once I removed all the hack wiring associated with an aftermarket alarm system, overblown stereo, car phone, etc. You should be fine in southern cal - it's the moisture that corrodes the contacts and starts the electrical gremlins.

Best thing? She just loves to cruise at high speed. The longer wheelbase of the Mondial makes her very, very stable at very, very high speed. Dive on in and enjoy your Mondial!

10. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wow! Fantastic input, everyone! I'm feeling better and better about the Mondial with each passing hour! Keep the suggestions coming!

11. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Mondials are great. I have 308s as well and I had a 348. I am very impressed with the Mondial. I have been doing a lot of work but I have found most things very accessible. The e-brake is actually useful too. You won't find that on the 308. Great cars. You made a good choice.

12. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    On my '87 3.2 Cabriolet:

- the electrical system -- *ugh* -- but not a true nightmare...just "finnicky" haven't had any problems with mine....yet (I'm knocking on wood)
    - they're heavy, and don't perform like a same-year 308 may be slightly slower, but they're still PLENTY of fun
    - Coupes are more stiff than cabs, but cabs can offer me something (hint, hint - California) that a coupe can only do with a sunroof you're right, and think about the "bang for the buck" factor in owning a "true" convertible Ferrari (no offense to the 308 GTS owners and other targas, because many of your cars are a bit prettier/handle a bit better than the Mondials, but I wanted a CONVERTIBLE, not a targa)
    - Cabs might leak in the rain I've never driven it with the top up, so I can't comment on that
    - Original wheels/tires HAVE to go. Too pricey for replacement tires - 348 upgrade is common, I see, but I think I'd probably go the Speedline route out of preference 348 wheels are being refinished as we speak - also going with a wider Yokohama for a better "stance"
    - Coupe 30k is engine-IN; Cab 30k is engine-OUT (crap) Other than Mondial t's, no Mondials are engine-out service cars
    - Nobody likes the black bumbers of the 8/QVs... I agree

Now...a couple of questions:

- What kinds of exhuast (Tubi/Ansa) are available for a QV Mondial? Price? Haven't done this mod....yet
    - How is the top-down experience at cruising speeds? Absolutely WONDERFUL! Since the car is of a cab-forward design, the front seat occupants tend to sit a bit more "under" the windshield (rather than so much behind it) As a result, the wind buffeting is dramatically reduced. As a matter of fact, I drove mine around the other night in 40 degree temps, and since the driver is more under the windshield, the heater kept me VERY warm (and I do NOT ride around with the top down / windows up)
    - What's the thing you like LEAST about your Mondi? Though plenty fun to drive, it could use another 500 or so HP (lol). Power steering would also be nice, but not critical
    - What's the thing you like BEST? Inexpensive, open-air fun! With the cost to maintain any F-car, I like the fact that I have so little (comparatively, that is) tied up in a non-essential toy...Also, I can't say for California, but whre I live, ANY Ferrari, especially a convertible one, is a real head turner....

Comment: For what it's worth, I would suggest that you consider a 3.2 over a 3.0. I looked at, and considered, both, and I found the 3.2 to be a more modern car overall (a bit cleaner lines, more power, different interior, etc.)....In the long run, I'm glad I chose the 3.2 (t was not an option, as I was scared of extra electrical components and increased service cost due to engine-out requirement; however, the t is a notch up in the "more-modern" category from the 3.2)

13. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    pro:

- driving experience (!)
    - driving roof down at top speed doesn´t cause any nuisance
    - roadholding pretty predictable for a mid-engined car
    - my roof doesn´t leak

con:

- poor build quality
    - awkward seating position (as someone else stated: "under" the windscreen")
    - factory seats offer poor lateral support
    - feels underpowered
    - handling of roof quite complicated

14. Satdiver

Satdiver Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    NSW Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Mumford
    I have an '83 Mondial QV coupe. Its a great car and an inexpensive entry into the world of Ferrari. But don't let that fool you, whether its a Mondial or a 360 the hourly rate to service the car is the same, its just that servicing is easier, like no engine out to do a belt service etc. My car is fitted with a set of Khan RSR 18" 5 spoke alloys and it looks superb. The QV's are slightly under powered due to power to weight ratio, but on drive days you are still going to arrive at the same time as everyone else. On the electrics, the fuse holders are troublesome so I changed mine over to the blade type fuses. I have fitted a 'Mille Miglia' sports exhaust which is produced here in Australia and that has given the car a bit more grunt. Remember, these cars are 12" longer in the wheel base than the GT4's and the 308's so the handling is a bit tougher on track days. What ever else, its a Ferrari, and every model is distictive, and all that joe bloggs in the street sees is that black horse in the yellow shield and wishes he was you. You'll have a lot of fun in that car, I do in mine.

15. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    The top goes down.
    300HP and almost 240ft-lbs of torque @ 4200rpm in a 3400lb car.
    Mid-engine layout with race-bred chassis and suspension.
    Power steering, brakes, and ABS
    Two adults can sit somewhat cramped but doable in the back; kids fit fine.
    There are 2 trunks (1 if you have the spare in the front well).
    Plenty of headroom and visibility.

The sound.
    The understated but unmistakable Ferrari design.

The Mondial t cab. In a class by itself.

16. skyboltone

skyboltone Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Dan Hall
    Aaron:
    Was that the one in Los Gatos? I think it was on Craigs list for a couple of days and disappeared? I hope it's NOT the coupe in Benecia. Not a good thing I hear.

Dan

17. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    All the things I don't like, I am changing (see the link below)

18. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yes - the one in L.G. The one in Benicia was disaster. It was a grey-market car with salvage titles in both Oregon and California, and the mileage the dealer listed was not consistent with the odometer readings on CARFAX. Add'ly, it seemed to have failed CA emmissions as many times as it passed.

19. skyboltone

skyboltone Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Dan Hall
    Aaron,
    Better go get'er. The voices are telling me to go take a look. :eek:) :eek:)

Dan

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Ours is an '83 QV coupe with sunroof, not a cab. But I can say the following:

It is not as fast as a 308 and it does not handle quite as well. BUT it can hold 4 people, and that's something a 308 can never do. If you have children it's wonderful. The car is very fun to drive, makes all the right sounds and is perfectly fast enough for 95% of the driving you will do in it. It doesn't scream Ferrari. People look at it, wonder what it is, and some of them realize it's a Ferrari and give you a thumbs up. But nobody will gawk or think you are an ***** at the gas station because you have a "look at me" car.

The electrics can be an issue. Many people upgrade the fusebox to the one from the Mondial 3.2 which has the same basic circuits, but uses blade-type fuses.

My wife found the driver's seat too low for her to be comfortable seeing over the high dashboard, so I built 1" spacers to raise the driver's seat up.

The hydraulic clutch is very smooth and positive in engagement. Almost Japanese in smoothness and gradual engagement. One of the best clutches I've used.

Gearbox can be a tad notchy in 2nd gear when cold like many Ferraris of the day.

The TRX tires blow and are really expensive. Replace the wheels.

The biggest thing I don't like about ours is the steering effort, possibly due to the 348 wheels. Not sure if it's the lower aspect ratio tires or the profile of the tire or maybe the alignment. I'm going to have it aligned in the spring to see if that helps.

The QV engine is a robust and well-sorted design . It always starts right up, no matter how cold or hot it is, and you can beat the crap out of it and it loves it. The car runs better if you push it hard. As long as you have oil and a properly operating cooling system, the engine is bulletproof.

The heat is hot enough to cook steaks on the air vents.

The car seems to get more stable and confidence inspiring as you go faster. This seems counterintuitive to me. I don't think the car has any kind of aerodynamics to make it have more downforce with speed. But I tell you that the car feels rock solid at 100 MPH. The car is amazing at high speed.

You do not have to drop the engine to do belts or valve adjustments, even on the Cab. (There is an access panel behind the rear seats to get at the front bank of the engine in the cab). However, the engine/transmission/rear suspension is all on a subassembly that comes out (from the bottom) very quickly. There are Fchatters here that claim they can have the engine out of a M8/QV in 3 hours flat. In any regard, it is actually easier to work on than a 308 in most ways, especially timing belts in situ. And the engine comes out WAY easier than a 308.

A fantastic friggin car that you have to drive to appreciate. Just the sound it makes is intoxicating.

Birdman

P.S. I don't mind the black bumpers. They look best on black cars, but I have not liked the look of the ones I have seen with the bumpers painted body color. To each his own.

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - I can tell you she is still rock solid at 140+ on the Autobahn. Almost painfully loud, but exceptionally solid.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    A few thoughts. I have a 82 Mondial 8 with sunroof and an 83 308 GTS QV.

The Mondial rides better on the highway than the 308 does, tracks straighter and not as "twitchy". The 308 is more fun on back roads.

I hate the 308 for drives more than about two hours, it just isn't a comfortable car for my 6'1" frame. The Mondial is great, almost as good as the 365 for a GT car, but the V12 blows it out of the water.

The electrical system is weak and you'll be doing trouble shooting on it. I had the ignition switch go bad and there was a faulty cut of switch/grounding strap. I'm going to use it as a daily driver more when I get back so I can tell everyone what the other weak points are.

I like the black bumpers!

I drove a QV cab a few years back and thought it was a worse flexi-flyer than my GTS. Fun, but not a car I want to take to the track or drive over railroad crossings with. It is on the list of cars I still want to add to the fleet.

And remember, even though the purchase price is cheap, that's just the cover charge. Parts prices are still way up there and the cars are getting old. Most of them are starting to need more than routine maintenance. We're in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension on mine and it is going to need new leather for the seats (Clive, you haven't trashed your's yet, have you?).

It is my second favorite car in the fleet and it is better overall than the 308.

Good luck,
    Erik

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have an 88.5 Mondial Cab with 9K miles on it. We bought it becaue our Fiat Spider - which our boy's grew up driving in became too small and I alway's wanted a Ferrari. I have only had great experiances with it. It is a blast to drive and I really enjoy looking at it.
    I just spent the week end driving a new Boxter around CA. I have to say that I would not be interested in owning one. It's too refined, too easy to drive.
    I'll take my Mondial any day......
    - Ron

24. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    #24 Javelin276, Jan 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a couple of comments: I have an 82 Mondial-8 with the sunroof.

The 30K service can be done with the engine in if your mechanic is creative by undoing some of the engine mounts and tipping things a bit.

The seats on mine are too narrow. I had to add a pad under the seat cover to make it more comfortable.

I'm tall and the tops of the instruments were blocked by the top edge of the housing. I undid everything and added spacers to move the instruments out 1". You can't tell.

The handling is superb and very stable at high speeds. I can keep up with most of the other Ferrari's on drives in a canyon going down hill, but uphill I wish I had more horsepower. I intend on fixing that in about a year.

If you go for aftermarket rims, watch the offset. I've noticed several Mondials where the front tires are outside the fenders. The offset is 55mm on the original rims, which is higher than most aftermarket rims. That's why most people go for other Ferrari model rims. I calculated everything on my aftermarket rims so the tire diameter, position of sidewall relative to fender, etc. are all correct. Mine are as follows:
    17"x7.5" Rims, 4.25" Bolt Circle, 40mm offset
    17" 245/45 Rear, 17" 215/50 Front
    The narrower front tires also corrected the heaviness in the steering I had with the original 240 TRX's.

I noticed nobody posted any photos of their aftermarket rims, so here's a couple shots of mine taken at the Scuderia Rampage in Las Vegas last year.

Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #25 snj5, Jan 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017