Sunday Jan. 29th, North Ga. Mountain Drive | FerrariChat

Sunday Jan. 29th, North Ga. Mountain Drive

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by STEEDA30, Jan 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I figure we'd meet at the same location that has worked before, and that is the Starbucks/Barnes & Noble parking lot off of Exit 8 on 400N at ~8:00 a.m.

If you're coming north on 400, take a right at the bottom of the exit ramp, then a left at the first light. The parking lot entrance to the Starbucks is about 150 feet up on the right.

From there, we'll go 400N to Dahlonega/Suches and the surrounding roads.

Planning to have all kinds of cars show up and would like to get some exotics in the mix as well. From my experience, the exotic turnout is usually pretty good, heh.

All of this weather permitting of course, hopefully it won't have snowed in the area and the roads will be salt free.

By the way, a friend of mine put together a new forum for sports cars of all types in Georgia, and would like to get some exotics on there :)

http://gscf.proboards76.com/index.cgi

Hope some of you all can make it out, if not this one, I'm sure there will be a few runs in the spring as well :)

2. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Rick.........great to hear from ya again! (just wanted to add, you might also wanna post over on rennsouth )

Bob

3. stormin

stormin Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Norm W
    Rick...I think I might be available and interested to participate that day. Count me in as a "tentative!" (not sure of my schedule yet...)

Norm

4. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Great to hear Norm! That's a gorgeous 360 :)

5. MickOpalak

MickOpalak Karting

May 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mick Opalak
    Count me in!

6. stormin

stormin Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Norm W
    Can you guys give me an idea of about how long a drive this will be? 2-3 hours? All day? What's the plan?

Also, looks like if I make it I'll be bringing my 911 Turbo instead of the 360 Spider. I just traded-in the 360 this past weekend for a new '06 F430 Spider which is being built now and arrives in the Mar-Apr timeframe!!

7. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I'll PM everyone in this thread the route we're planning to take.

I've heard the local law enforcement in that area browses car forums for dates/times/routes and sets up radar/laser points along that route. It may not be true, but I'll keep the route to PM's.

We should be in Helen by about 12:00, perhaps a bit earlier, from there you can head home, or stop to eat.

Awesome news that you're getting an F430! That is an amazing car, hope you can bring it on some future drives.

8. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Please PM me, thanks!

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    love it when I get pm'd

:)

JD

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm a definite maybe.......

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I assume this is still on, weather permitting? Since most of the responses on RennSouth have been from Mustang owners (!), how many Ferrari owners are planning on doing the run?

I intend to be there, in spite of my deranged front spoiler, which at least is not going to fall off. At least I've got nice new rear tires. Oh, and a passenger seat which is available for the ride.......

12. stormin

stormin Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Norm W
    I'm still planning on attending at this point, but I'll be driving my 911 Turbo instead of the 360...

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As of right now, there is a 70% chance of my NOT showing up, since that's the chance of rain on Sunday. Hopefully that will change by then, but if not, better luck next time!

14. stormin

stormin Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Norm W
    I'd have to say unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Who can believe the weather...every day looks nice for the next week but Sunday!

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wipers not working? Those damn Italian electrical systems! LOL ;)

16. two914s

two914s Rookie

Dec 19, 2005
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Sterling Skinner
    I just heard that Porsche Cars USA will be bringing two Cayman S's on Sunday morning at 8am. I hope the weather holds out!

Are we going on the same route as last time? It would help if everyone has some idea of where we are headed because last time we got separated.

Looks like I will be driving a Red 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera this time.

17. TachItUp

TachItUp Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys. I was searching for good driving roads around Atlanta and stumbled upon this post. Granted, I'm only 18 so my sports car budget would not allow me a F-Car, so I had to settle with a Miata with some goodies. I'd still like to do a ride through Helen if that's all right, since I absolutely love performance cars and exotics in general. Hopefully I'm not too late!

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Hey, if the weather allows, just show up at the proper place and time and you'll be able to ride with someone. As of now my passenger seat is available.

Since the rain is supposed to pull out sometime during the morning, who is to make the call as to whether the drive is delayed or postponed altogether?

19. MickOpalak

MickOpalak Karting

May 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mick Opalak
    I'm definitely coming, rain or shine. Are you guys afraid that your Ferraris are gonna melt?

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Let me say this about that: currently the Weather Channel calls for a 90% chance of rain and thunder at 8:00--the suggested meeting time--and that does not drop below 50% until 11:00. And in Helen the forecast is even worse: 100% chance of rain through 10:00.

Now, this is supposed to be a fun trip. Traveling twisty mountain roads in conditions like that doesn't sound like my idea of fun--in any car. If the weather forecast holds, you won't see me up there, and I would suggest everyone else do the same. There'll be another time, in better weather.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, as I write this, the last of the rain is stopping, so I'm going! But I won't be there until 8:30 so wait for me! (I hope somebody reads this in time!)

22. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    well i wasn't "man" enough to tackle the twisties in my new ride but some were braver than i. i haven't had enough experience in the turbo to learn the limitation or the break points and i didn't want to find out on a day like this.

any suggestions for a make-up date?

ps jim - thanks for talking with me about my planned Ferrari purchase. you helped clear up some of the myths and made me feel more at ease. now the quest is intensified.

if anyone knows of one or has leads: Looking for red 328 GTS. Pricing depends upon how many issues the car has :)

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was nice meeting you. I had a nice alternate return drive of my own: Dahlonega to Jasper via GA-52, 183 and 136. GA-136 in particular had some nice curves, but at higher elevations it was so foggy I had to take it easy for awhile. Unfortunately, approaching Canton on I-575 my damaged front spoiler finally broke completely, so the last part of the trip home was made in a tow truck! (At least, thanks to AAA, that didn't cost me anything.)

I wonder where the other Ferraris (and all those Mustangs) were. By my count, the numbers at the Chevron station were: 9 Porsches (including 2 928s and a Cayman), an Elise, a Miata, and my 328. It would have been a nice run in drier weather.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #24 Gatorrari, Feb 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017