Best $300 Every Spent On my 355 | FerrariChat

Best $300 Every Spent On my 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Jan 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Well, $307 actually ( 8 NGK Platinum plugs $112, 8 plug wires $150, 1 gallon of Swepco 201 Trans Fluid).

OMG! My car was already running good before as it passed the State smog test with flying colors. So I decided to change my spark plugs and wires and do a compression test to check the general state of hapiness.

Well, I got over 200 PSI from every cylinder, with only 5 PSI variance betwen the highest and the lowest reading. The way that those darn wires are cramed together I can see how a cross fire could occour or the spark lost due to leakage. I also see why some people change over to COP. The stock system is redicolus.

Car idles really smooth and the throttle response is way better! I had Redline in the gear box but decided to give the Swepco a try...Awesome shifting! The 1-2 cold shift is not as good as the Redline, but once it is watmed up it is as silky smooth as my first Honda that I had in college.

Total time from start to finish...2.5 hours

Me very happy and I am going driving.

Cheers

2. scgracer

scgracer Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Stephen Geller
    sweet....when was the last time u changed ur plugs and wires or they OEM lol

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Just out of curiosity, did you put in PMR7A or PMR8A plugs? Another Fchatter and I are pulling out our hair over the absolute inconsistency in Ferrari manuals and WSM guidelines on this one...

2.7 cars certainly were spec'd originally with a different plug than the 5.2 cars, but there's a lot of conflicting data on which plugs are correct for which car. (not in terms of thread or size, but in terms of heat and gap)

Best,
    Daniel

4. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I used the PMR7A. My car is a 1998 so it has the 5.2 Motronic.

5. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

Plugs were done about 4K miles ago.

As for the wires: Hmm those in fact may have been OEM and I think that is where I got my biggest gain. It is a 1998 with 17K on the clock so yeah with most cars the wires would probably last longer. However, I was not gouing to drop $1,200 for set of OEM wires when it still ran "good". There was no miss fire just nominal loss of power and it is so gradual that you don't really notice.

That OEM ignition set-up with the 7mm plug wires is a joke. They are cramed in there so tightly you would think that they would be even more problematic.

6. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Where did you get the plug wires and which ones did you use?

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    What he said. Also any pics?

8. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

Got the wires from this guy. The fit was perfect and the wires are better than OEM (according to the merchant). I can say that they fit perfectly and look exactly like the OEM wires. The cost was only $150 for the set!!!

http://www.kingsborne.com/index.htm

No pics, but the job is really easy. I give it a "1" or a "2" on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most difficult.

1) Remove the 10 allen bolts on top of the valve cover.

2) Gently remove the cover as there is a gasket to hold water from getting down in the plug holes.

3) Replace 1 wire at a time. Note all of my OEM wires were marked per cylinder. The coil is also marked for each wire number. Also note: My right bank 1-4 aftermarket wires were marked correctly, but my left bank wires were inverted (5 was 8, 4 was 6). No worries just make sure the longest wire goes on the front cylinder, etc, etc.

4) Enjoy smooth ideling, better throttle response, and quicker revving.

5) It is addicting, with my Tubi I find that I am winding the piss out of the engine again...Too much fun.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Nevermind I just saw the link. Agreed - the swepco fluids are absolutely awesome.

--Dan

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OUT STANDING!!!! I had a feeling that is who they were from, but wanted to know just in case we got a new supplier.

11. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I can't beleive how much difference you say they made on your 98' with 17K on it, mine is a 95' with 21K I'm just about to change out the plugs, fuel and air filters too, now I'll be adding the wire set from these guys hope I feel the same about them as you, thanks for the input.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The PMR7A is better for everyday use, for sure. We've had some trouble with 2.7 cars that weren't used "aggressively" with the PMR8A and switching to the hotter plugs fixed it. If you are a track hound or insist on driving the car until the oil temperature is up and use most of the top third of the rev range <grin>, the PMR8A's work great and are a good safety net if the gas you use at the track isn't the most consistent (WGI, for example) in octane...

I'm interested in the Swepco comments because after using Lubrication Engineers (LE) 301 for the first decade and a half I worked on F-cars, I've used Redline for the last decade and been very pleased, but recently SEAL2CC told me he had not seen as much of a difference (or not as much of an improvement as he expected, which was good feedback for me) as I expected him to see.

Always looking for good data...

-Peter

13. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

The difference was definetly noticable. Talk to any F-Car Tech and the plugs and wires are the first to get swapped out when perforance strats to suffer.

My car never missed, it idled a little rough but after the wires it has way more power. I just didn't want to drop $1,200 for a moderate increase in performance at best. This way for $150 I got the best of both worlds.

Once you get the cover off you will wonder how the car doesn't misfire the way that Ferarri has them routed. They are literally cramed together. Plus with the boots/extenders, they can leak pretty easily and you will not get all of your spark.

Add to that the anemic 7mm wires and you have a pretty weak delivery system .

As far as performance: If I come within 1,000 RPMs of redline and shift, I will need to shift 2 seconds later (or less who knows as it is almost instantaneous), I am redlining again. I know my car did not do that before I put on the wires. The decline in perforance is so gradual that most people don't really notice.

Every person that I spoke to (or read about) was impressed by the difference that wires made on there cars. The guys that went to the MSD and coil over plugs (when they got them working right) were blown away. The ignition sytems on these cars leave a bit to be desired.

14. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    As far oils, I think it is a bit of a Regional thing. Redline is in my back yard (Nor Cal). Redline happened to work great on the 1-2 cold shift and was good once warmed up but not great. People have sworn by Redline as it will defintely take care of the cold shift problem. I know a lot of the FNA dealers in the close proximity to LE use their oils.

Tony Pallidino the Owner of Modena Motors in Redwood City was using Swepco (I believe I read that). Anyway, my 1-2 cold shift is not that great with the Swepco , but once warmed up the shifting is definetly better than with the Redline. It kind of shifts like a Japanese transmission it is so smooth.

I am also beginnng to think that each F-Car tranny is so unique that one trans oil that is great for a particular car may not work so well in another.

From a layperson's (customer's) perspective, they may not want to sacrafice a tough 1-2 cold shift for the first 5 miles of warm up to gain a MUCH better warm shift. Explaining that to a customer could be prolematic as he is leaving the shop in his 355.

Cheers

15. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    FYI, the plug is a really small (10 mm ) thread.

Be sure not to go "Joe Six Pack " on it when you are torqueing your plugs.

The torque spec is around 9.50 foot pounds so don't get too crazy.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tony and a few others swear by the Swepco. Having used their stuff, I concur it's tops.

--Dan