Attraction to 308's: Looks or price? | FerrariChat

Attraction to 308's: Looks or price?

Discussion in '308/328' started by PeterS, Jan 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    For me, I don't think there is a better looking car for the price. It's fun to drive and gets a lot of looks on the road. A few 308 owners I know can afford a more expensive model, but they like the lines of their 3X8. With my 308 currently for sale and a 348 in mind, I think I will miss not having the style of a 308.

2. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I went for the looks when I bought mine. Plus I found a good one, low miles, all service records, etc. I was planning on a 348 or a TR. But from what I read on this site the 308 is a great first F-car. When I upgrade I am not sure if I will ever sell the 308.

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    for sure looks.....and sound.....and feel....

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I agree with the sound. My carb'd '77 sounds insane after I put a 'poor man's Tubi' on it (Dual inlet to single tip Flowmaster). The crakle in third gear going downhill (35-40MPH) sounds pretty hot!

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I fell in love with the 308 when I was a kid watching Magnum P.I. When I saw the over head shots of the car cruzing on by shore, that was it.

I have always thought of the 308 as one of the most beautiful cars that has ever been built. Its timeless design could be made today and it would still look very fresh. Its just too bad about the performance level of the car.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

For me the 308 series....in the GTB form only.....will always be one of the most beautiful cars of all time......as well as one of the most beautiful Ferrari's.

For the money you cannot get more raw curb appeal and emotion on four wheels.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    308 is my favorite car. I had a 348 and sold it. I still have my 308s. They are wonderful cars.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're still great looking cars, but you have to admit the price and the looks together seal the deal. If the prices of the 246 and 308 were reversed, I'd be in a 246 in a heartbeat.

It was a great surprise to me a year ago, when I decided I should do something about the Ferrari dream, that the ones I really admire (308/328/Boxer) are smart buys right now - as much as a Ferrari can be.

EDIT: And I love targas!

9. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
  10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Absolutely beautiful car. I like its big brother, the Boxer also.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

12. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #12 spiderseeker, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seeing the Magnum PI show got to me in the 80's too- I made up my mind that "someday" I just had to have one. Someday came last August for me after waiting over 20 years. I have no regrets- it's a thrill every time I turn the key-
    When I look at it in the garage I still just smile and shake my head in disbelief.
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    But did you get the white suede boat shoes yet?

14. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If your selling your 308 I would look at the 328 over a 348.

15. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    After upgrading from my 308GTS QV to a Boxer, I thought, do I give up the 308?
    Nope. Keep both, drive, & enjoy them. I love the thought of open air driving on a warm summer day or evening in the 308. They both are a thrill to drive.
    Dave

16. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    The 308, in many ways, is the complete package. My car still runs away from traffic between stoplights, and I don't have any performance mods on mine. The trunk fits a long weekend's worth of clothes for two (or a full set of golf clubs). I get the same or better gas mileage than most modern SUVs, parts are easily available, and the cost is within reach of most enthusiasts with their priorities in order. Oh, and it looks like a Ferrari. It does NOT look like a Toyota Supra, a Ford Probe on steroids, or a Toyota MR-2 with a body kit.

17. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My thoughts exactly!

18. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I totally agree. In fact, I could have bought a more modern Ferrari but I just kept coming back to the 308, its timeless design, sound and raw handling.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks

I personally think the 308 is the best looking car that has ever been created, period. I thought that back in 1981 when I first saw one and I still think that as a 9-year owner of one in 2006.

I can afford a newer model but I am sticking with these. My next Ferrari will be an 81 308

20. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What are you saying !
    There are Ferrari's who are more beautiful than a 308 , sinds when?Rob

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

Dittos, doc!

Maybe the only design that comes close is the Lamborghini Miura, but they're very rare, and the issue of non-existant parts availability, not to mention price, crosses it off the list of possibilty...

I always thought I'd get a GTS, but when my GTB found me, there was absolutely NO doubt that I had to have that car..

Performance-wise, not to apologize for the 308, but who the heck really can use more performance than the 308 delivers, for street use? Mine is plenty quick and nimble for me. Of course, I have a pre-cat carburetor car!

Greg

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's a generational thing...I was a teenager in the days of Connery James Bond; I might have seen 10 minutes of one episode of Magnum. The single most repeated comment I get about my 330 is "that's a James Bond car"... technically that isn't true even though it's very much a car of the era. For my first Ferrari, only a vintage V12 would do.

Objectively, in the right color schemes the 308 and 328 are very good looking cars, though I vastly prefer the curvaceousness of the V12 era to the wedgy and angular look of the early V8's.

If I were looking to add a rear-engined Ferrari, a carbureted 308 would be my obvious first choice for good looks, performance, and reasonable price; a Boxer if price was no object.

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My decision was based on looks all the way.

A friend asked me just yesterday if I was thinking of 'Upgrading' my 308 to a 355 and I told him that the 308 to me is an end in itself. It is not the Ferrari I'm living with now until I can afford a newer one, it is one of the cars I have always wanted regardless of cost.

24. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    It was not a cost thing with me I always wanted a 308 because the way it looks.

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Looks for me, I've always loved the 308/328 series.

It just happens that I can afford one. If they were still $100,000 I would be driving something else like a Lotus Esprit or 1957 Dodge (both other beautiful designs)