Do you guys drive your Ferrari in the rain? | FerrariChat

Do you guys drive your Ferrari in the rain?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ucorders, Jan 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    I just picked up my car from Ron Tonkin, 95 348 Spider, about a week ago. It's rained every day since I bought it and I just looked at Weather.com and the ten day forcast is still rain! Am I being a wimp not to want to drive it in the rain?

2. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    Listen, its just a car, it went melt if it get wet, rain doesnt hurt them, in england, you see f-cars, lambos, Aston Martins sitting on the street and soaked in rain for days, it doesnt do anything to them. In the states people have this thing with their cars getting rained on, in europe, these cars sit on the street. I saw blue 360 the other day with a inch of snow on it. If there are salting the road or putting down some corrosive liquid to de-ice dont take it out, but if its just rain. Go out and enjoy it.

Tom
    Former Washington Resident,
    Exiled to England

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    To drive or not is the preference of the owner. If it has been raining for a week or so the roads are usually washed down pretty good and free from heavy dirt. Since they don't use salt on the roads when it freezes out here you don't have to worry about that problem.

For someone with a black car it's a pain in the ass because black shows everthing. It's a lot of work to get a car cleaned up to concourse condition after driving in the rain regardless of the color.

This is the Northwest, if I waited for it to quit raining I would hardly ever get to drive my car. It's just water, it won't hurt your car. Just rinse it off and wipe it down real good when you get home, besides, you need to find out where all of the leaks are in the top.:p:p

4. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    NO!! That is what the daily driver is for.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Drive in the rain without worry! I drive my 355 spider in the rain all the time....in fact I was just out on Saturday for a drive. Once home, I give it a quick shot of Griot's Speed Shine, and a quick wipe down with a couple microfiber clothes and she's ready for the next drive.

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Yes that is exactly why ours are so nice!

Mike

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I have not intentionally taken my cars in the rain. However been caught in many a downpour. The reason I don't is my cars are always waxed and clean and it sucks to clean the engine bay!

Plus, that is why I have a few daily drivers

Congrats on the 348. The yellow one I assume? Hope to see you around and on some events this year?

Mike

8. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    I drive my 360 in the rain all the time.....except when I'm driving my Gallardo in the rain....:)

Drive it.

Obviously just my two cents. I certainly understand why others choose not to do this though, it really is a pain cleaning it later.

9. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I find if I haven't driven my car in a couple of weeks - I'll get in it and drive somewhere even in the rain knowing full well its going to take me and hour to detail it after - not to mention the swirl marks which take longer to remove. If I've driven it within the week then I'll leave it parked and take the family truckster. Not wishing to elaborate on a sexual analogy, its amazing what you'll do and put up with if you haven't had some in a couple of weeks lol.

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't have a problem with driving my 348 in the rain, I had it out quite a while last week while warming it up for the emissions test (it passed).

When it has been below freezing, I'm wary about driving it when the roads have been sanded. It seems like there are a lot of rocks in the sand they use around here, and I DON'T want to catch a rock in the windscreen again!

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #11 Spasso, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The following pictures are from just one drive north from Seattle to Semiahmoo (Canadian Border) for lunch then back home. 4/16/2005. Nothing special, just getting out of the house and running the cars to keep them healthy.

Note; one Gallardo wasn't too happy about the water from an electrical standpoint but that was due a loose wiring harness plug. Not really a fault of the car.

I think the last picture says it all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #12 Spasso, Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I got my car from AZ. The PO kept the undercarrage so clean you could eat off of it. I didn't want to drive it in the rain at all, but Handa was the one who told me, "It's Seattle, if you don't drive in the rain, you will not drive for half the year" Ever since then I drive in the rain. As someone else said; it's a car. Drive!!!!

14. PHANTOM_SD

PHANTOM_SD Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    We were told by our Ferrari mechanic that a drizzle is ok but full on rain is not good for the intake filters.

15. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Drive it, worst thing for a car is to let it sit & rot. Its Washington, which means everytime u wash it, it will rain. Exotic cars, alright alright, other sport cars too, look really cool dirty anyway. I agree with previous post than in downright monsoon conditions, take the other car.
    Bill

16. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    those driving condition were nuts...glad to see you guys stuck it out and had a good time...did you ???lol

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sure, I drive mine in the rain. The 365 windshield leaks a bit in a heavy downpour, so it would not be my first choice, but the others-- no problem! My 456 will probably be out in the rain tomorrow.

I remember when I had my Mondial Cab, and after a couple of experiences I did try to avoid driving it in the rain. The top leaked quite a bit, and it wasn't much fun. I assume the 348 has a better top design.

18. AGSPerformance

AGSPerformance Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    Seattle, WA.
    Full Name:
    Tyson J. Spring
    Dave-
    Drive it with the top down in the rain and I'll be impressed!

19. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    i drive in the rain. aside from the previous 'black car comment' (search the spotter threads for a 'i saw this beautiful black 360 except it needed a bath!'), the only thing i really watch out for are dirt/rocks. To me, it seems that a lot more of it is flying around when it's wet compared with when it's dry.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    We have a another member that does it all the time with his black/black 355, famous for it. Famous for not washing it too.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Most definitely. It was a sunny dry day the rest of the drive. Life is too short to worry about a little water. I don't recommend heavy downpour either but when you are 30 miles from home already it's a waste to turn and run for home. We knew it was going to be nicer up north too. That had a lot to do with it.

22. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    $$$=Speed, you are correct it is the yellow one they had. I'm looking forward to any local Ferrari stuff.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What kind of Ferrari? That sounds like hogwash....they are just cars...plenty of people drive them in the rain...never seen a problem...other than the occaisional drips of water from a slight leak from the convertible top seals (I fixed mine)...no biggie.

Drive, drive, drive! :)

Just say no to "garage queens"!

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What kind of mechanic would say that?

25. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie