Where did Maserati go wrong? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Where did Maserati go wrong?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ryalex, Dec 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Especially "her" ??? latest post.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To get back to the topic at hand, the real question is where did Ferrari go wrong in rolling out the new Maserati?

If the new Maser had been a success, I have no doubt that Ferrari would still own the company. Further, Maser would be ramping up to 10,000 cars a year.

Dale

3. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I honestly think Maserati was on the right path. Not many car companies could have been profitable within 5 years coming back to a market with such a poor prior track record. Every year since its reintroduction, the cars were evolving. The 2002's had its share of cambiocorsa problems but by 2004 it seems the kinks were worked out. 2005 saw the introductions of the amazing Quattroporte and the GranSport. I was even seriously looking at the GranSport before the whole restructuring. I think a bunch of people were waiting to see the next generation coupe/spyder. I think many a potential buyer was turned off with the uncertainty of the new restructuring and the word that the next generation cars were killed. I think Fiat/Ferrari's moves were premature and that they should have stuck with it for another two years and it would have been a happy ending. Instead, I for one lack the courage to drop that kind of money on a car that may not have a dealer chain in 3 years time or worse yet be a glorified Alfa. I am sure I am not alone.

Tom

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Let's make this simple:

From whom did you purchase the car? An authorized Ferrari/Maserati Dealership?

Joe

5. Mrs_Phantom_SD

Mrs_Phantom_SD Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    noneya
    Full Name:
    JC
    No it was some guy that posted the car on autotrader.com. I was given the option of getting a Ferrari or this Maserati as my engagement/birthday gift. I chose the Maserati because after calling around I was told that the Maserati was the "Lady’s Ferrari" and well that alone pretty much sold me on getting this car. I enjoyed the Lady’s Ferrari thing allot! Yes gentlemen, I am very much into the girly girl thing. lol

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

If that is the case, then no one in the sales dept of a Ferrari/Maserati dealership told you that this was some type of special Maserati built by the factory.

I suspect what you have is sometype of local performance shop took a standard Spyder did some modifications, added the bluestripes like maserati used on the 320 Barchetta & Trofeo series, some chrome wheels, loud exhaust and hot chip then made up some BS story in the hopes of getting noticed on a TV show like Pimp My Rod.

The fact that the a dealership was unable to straighten out the problem could mean that the modifications done were of a nature that it made it impossible for them to correct back to OEM without direct help from MNA.

Joe

PS I do remember a while back there being pictures posted of a Spyder painted in you color combination. Maybe about a year or so ago.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Enough!

8. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Yo Absent,
    Whether or not the discussion you are complaining about is absurd or valuable doesn't matter. These threads are for people to come together and exchange thoughts. THeir issues may be trivial to you but important to them. You go to all the trouble to track them down and read them, then complain that they are there. No one is making you read this tread. Pipe down and show a little more generous spirit; not all these discussion are about you.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't think Ferrari is going to be able to kick Maserati out of it's support network so quickly unless ... Maserati is sold outside of the Fiat empire. You could see an end of the line to the current platform and motor but realistically, I just don't see that happening too soon either. They don't seem to be able chart a new dynamic course at the moment so it's likely you're going to continue seeing the current coupe/spider with some limited changes and more iterations of the QP5. I also think they know a glorified Alfa won't work. It needs to be a real Maserati but a lot less Ferrari or they might just as well stick a prancin' horsey on the hood. The QPV is a step in that direction, the MC12 as cool as it is, is not.

Bob S.

10. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    enough! on this one.

this is again where maserati went wrong. some kind of misconception or just people watching too much desperate housewives.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    This thread is titled:"Where did Maserati go wrong?"
    That poor ,confused woman took it off track,started on a "high horse" educating people here ,claiming some fantastic and totally unrealistic figures.
    Her case is impossible to understand and not making any sense,since the facts are either changed or modified in her every new post.
    When said "enough",meant going back to topic,so the thread is not hijacked.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Originally Posted by Mrs_Phantom_SD
    ...I was told that the Maserati was the "Lady’s Ferrari"

Maserati went wrong with this? I think you're being a little silly here. They didn't build or market it as a womans only car. That's just a notion in "some" peoples heads.

But, it was never meant to be the all out hard edged sports car that the Ferrari is. It's a GT and historically most Maseratis have been designed this way. That's not a feminine attribute. If you feel that's their mistake I think you should be looking at another type of car.

13. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    ? you didnt read my previous posts or her posts.
    next time read carefully before you jump on someone.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't think I "jumped" and sorry if you took it that way but perhaps you could have constructed your post more clearly?

What you posted had a very direct implication.

You quoted her refering to Maserati as being a ladies Ferrari and then immeadiately followed with a comment about this is where they went wrong.

So why don't you clarify what you meant because I have read this thread and according to you I missed your point.

Bob S.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Caveat Emptor ...

16. Mrs_Phantom_SD

Mrs_Phantom_SD Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    noneya
    Full Name:
    JC
    It was something that was told to me and it appealed to me, that’s all.
    For all the rest of you thanks again for the PM’s of names and addresses and VP’s for me to contact and helping run my VIN#. This will be my last post here. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to answer all of them.

And to ABSENT: YOU HAVE A PM!

Many blessings,
    J.

17. Mrs_Phantom_SD

Mrs_Phantom_SD Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    noneya
    Full Name:
    JC
    It was not my intention to cause conflict or offend anyone here. I was only defending what I had been told. I am still very proud of my car no matter what.

Many blessings,
    J

18. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    Read the Mrs.' post again

You have a lady who has been identified as barbara striestand + more who now calls a Maserati a "Lady's Ferrari" and educates the rest of the gentlemen where that they are driving a 'Lady's Ferrari'.

there is something wrong with her thinking.

I pointed that out. My post on #80
    points towards her as well.

To a certain extent, if you read it as Maserati went wrong by product placement in Desperate Housewives, I would stand behind what i said.

Aside from all the other tasteful product placements in high end luxury magazines, they have to place the car in a TV series that obviously has more female audience. I have never watch 1/2 a minute of the show, and searching online, there is even a character as a Maserati Saleswoman.

Did Maserati design the product to be femnine? no. i never said that.
    Did they place the product incorrectly by having them in this TV series, i would say yes.

19. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    I took it as an offence that you are calling Maserati a "Lady's Ferrari" and as well, the rest of the gentlemen on the board are driving "girly girl thing".

I do not share your view of Maserati as a Lady's Ferrari.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Oh boy,now all the Aston DB9 Volante owners will be pissed,since Desperate Housewives replaced the maser with one.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OMG cool off already. I'm not going to read this convoluted set of post references to figure out how, when or what you meant.

Sorry, but your post WAS misleading. I take it that you don't think of it as a strictly ladies car, ok.

Now they can place the car on all the shows they want, even a Vagsil documentary for all I care. It is a car driven by both men and women and probably more women drive this than any new model of Ferrari but that's just a speculative guess.

Maserati road cars have always focused on GT cars so perhaps it's natural that more women would be comfortable with it. They would be dumb not to market to women as well as men.

Now if the only show or movie they did any placement on was Desperate Housewives then I would agree with you that it is a mistake not to cast a wider net. I don't think that's the case though.

They've done a lot of other things far more seriously wrong than a single questionable product placement.

Bob S.

22. Mrs_Phantom_SD

Mrs_Phantom_SD Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    noneya
    Full Name:
    JC
    I know I said I would not post But I could not resist:

I am very sorry. That was told to me and I liked it I am sorry I shared it. I see the Quattroporte as being a gentleman’s car and the Ferrari but my car, no. And the Enzo topping the list of the gentleman’s cars of all cars. Also, there are more women driving the Maserati where I live than men, most of the men I see pass by are in an Auston Martin, Bentley, Lamborghini, or the Quattroporte these cars really seem to say testosterone with their class and style. I guess everyone has their own opinion, and that is why we are all here is to share them. I am sure that there is a women somewhere that will disagree with me on this too. It's just and opinion.

23. McNab

McNab Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian Stewart
    Madam,

I am devastated. I have looked everywhere for my testosterone, but without success. What can a poor emasculated Maserati owner do in such a dire situation? Can you help me? Please!

Maybe if I understood more about the "girly girl" thing I'd get back on the right track - a full and frank explanation would be more than helpful, and I am sure you won't mind offering some sort of stimulation, however bland.

Nothing which might bring this august forum into disrepute, of course!

To be serious for a moment, although I have never seen a woman driving a Maserati, they share Ferrari's driveability, and both marques are entirely suitable for both sexes. This, therefore, is not "where Maserati went wrong".

My own "take" on the situation is that they haven't yet decided exactly what to do with Maserati, hence all their waffle about various engines and platforms. There are plenty of ideas and prototypes in the pipeline, and with due respect to Alfa Romeo I hope they aren't foolish enough to downgrade Maserati to Alfa's level.

There is ample room for Maserati alongside Ferrari in a less overtly sporting guise, as a high performance GT with the accent on quality and individuality. Not as a track car, but as the ultra-fast and comfortable road car it is already - it simply needs an urgent update.

24. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    OK. you shut me up with that.
    LOL.

btw, you have a 84 biturbo?

25. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    There's nothing wrong with the Maserati's dash of feminine glamor, any more than with Lotus as the famous choice of Emma Peel (The Avengers) and Catherine Tremell & Roxy (Basic Instinct). In Maserati's case, it was showcased most recently in Charlie's Angels II: Full Throttle, along with a wild rock video from the movie (with the Maserati Spyder and the Ferrari Enzo to keep it company). Who's complaining?! :D