Cayenne Turbo S. | FerrariChat

Cayenne Turbo S.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Fan512bbi, Jan 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #1 Fan512bbi, Jan 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In a region that thrives on extreme performance and style, Porsche has chosen Southern California’s Los Angeles Auto Show to host the world premiere of its latest thrill machine. The spiritual epicenter of American speed and style — home of hot-rods and Hollywood — L.A. is the perfect venue for the arrival of Porsche’s 2006 Cayenne Turbo S.

A supercar that seats five, the Cayenne Turbo S packs the wallop of 520 turbocharged horsepower. Combined with chassis dynamics tuned for enthusiasts, and sophisticated all-wheel-drive underpinnings, the Cayenne Turbo S sets the performance benchmark for SUV’s.

In addition to boosting power output, Porsche engineers also modified suspension components, revised software controls for the Porsche Active Suspension Management system and beefed up the braking hardware. An optional SportDesign exterior body kit, developed in conjunction with Porsche’s styling studio, is also available for the Cayenne Turbo S.

In the Cayenne Turbo S, engine output gets a 16 percent boost over the 450-horsepower Porsche Cayenne Turbo, to an impressive 520-horsepower peak at 5500 rpm. The torque generated by the twin-turbocharged, 4.5-liter V-8 engine grows to 530 lb.-ft. — a 15-percent increase over the 2006 Cayenne Turbo.

The torque curve for the Turbo S model is better described as a plateau, with maximum torque delivered from 2750 to 3750 rpm, and more than 510 lb-ft maintained from 2500 past 5000 rpm. The horsepower-per-liter figure for the Cayenne Turbo S is an amazing 115.4, compared to 99.7 for the already impressive Cayenne Turbo.

Flowing through intelligent all-wheel-drive and stability management systems, the additional power of the Cayenne Turbo S produces a standing start to 60 miles per hour (96 km/h) time of just 4.8 seconds. And on the test track, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is capable of achieving 167 miles per hour (270 km/h).

To provide such performance, Porsche engineers revised the engine control system’s throttle map, and installed larger intercoolers that improve volumetric efficiency by lowering the temperature of the air entering the V-8 engine’s intake tract. Thanks to the increase in the system’s cooling efficiency, engineers increased turbo boost pressure by 4.3 psi (0.3 bar) to a maximum of 27.5 psi (1.9 bar).

Providing further control of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, the braking components have been upgraded. Up front, six-piston aluminum monobloc calipers clamp down on 1.5-inch-thick internally vented discs measuring 14.96 inches (380 mm) in diameter. At the rear, four-piston aluminum monobloc calipers bite onto internally vented 14.09-inch (358 mm) discs. The Porsche Cayenne Turbo S rides on standard 20-inch Cayenne SportTechno wheels. Optional are 20-inch Cayenne SportDesign wheels. Whether standard or optional, the 20-inch wheels are wrapped in size 275/40 high-performance tires.

Like Porsche’s Boxster,® Cayman S and 911® sports cars, the Cayenne possesses amazingly athletic capabilities, and thanks to technologies such as Porsche Traction Management, these capabilities are not limited to paved roads. While many SUVs have an inherent tendency towards nose-heavy handling characteristics, Porsche engineers direct the majority of the engine’s torque (62 percent) from the Cayenne’s powerful engine to the rear wheels. This provides the Cayenne with handling dynamics more in line with Porsche’s rear-drive sports cars, and sets the Cayenne apart in the SUV marketplace. These traits are so sought after by enthusiast drivers that the Cayenne has become the best selling of all Porsche models.

The 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S goes on sale today in North America. U.S. and Canadian pricing for the new model is $111,600 (USD) and $157,000 (CAD). Complete information on all Porsche models can be found at www.press.porsche.com in the 2006 Model Year Press Kit section.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, GA, and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 211 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    have they stoped making the base model of the Cayenne....becuase it just isnt worth the money...now with the turbo s that would make 4 different Cayenne models one too many imo...should just be the Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo and then the Turbo S

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

rush109..........

The V6 has not been discontinued.

It is a better vehicle than you think. Have you owned any Cayenne's ? I have owned both a Turbo and a V6.

I would never buy a Turbo again.....it ate up the brakes pads/rotors and tires ($5K) in 25,000 kms of driving (full boost...woohoooo....full brakes....ooohhh noooo)......and $150 a week in gas......and handled like a pig IMHO.

My V6 Cayenne got 650 "actual" kms of driving on one tank of gas in the city ($50 a week) and because it is not as nose heavy as the Turbo it handled and drove much better for half the money.

If I want to drive fast in the winter I'll drive a 911 C4 or a 911 Turbo.

4. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    best s.u.v by far...awesome

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I don't understand the point of an SUV with this much power. And having to change the tires/wheels in Winter? Come on. Didn't Porsche have trouble selling the normal Turbo model? Weird. Anything for bragging rights, I guess.

6. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    I have an order in at my dealer for a Mercedes ML 63 AMG.

510 NA horsepower and ESTMATED @ $70,000 - $80,000 range

Far less than the Turbo S with the same amount of power.

Different make all together...I know

But if a small family size SUV is your thing and you are a Power Junkie.....Both are great....

The Benz I feel will offer the better value.

SM

7. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    That is a good point, i bet the Cayenne S would perform adequately enough for most people.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

That is the sweet part of the deal with the V6....it's power is adequate...and after all...when you have snow tires mounted and it's on the ground as well, 247 HP is enough.

9. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I see that you had both models S/Turbo, was there enough difference in performance to justify the price difference between the two

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Hi Steve.....!!

I'd have to say no......because the price difference on what I paid for them (I'm a dealer) was about $55,000 CAD........or 27,000 pounds.....between the V6 and the Turbo.

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I have both CT and CS, and also graduated from Porsche Driving Experience (in Birmingham AL) driving all three models on the track and off road. Suprisingly, the 6 cyl worked best on the autocross, it was nimble and had plenty of torque. My daily driver is a Cayenne S, because the 6 cyl wasn't available at the time. I also have the turbo to tow a car hauler, and the power is insane. As if that wasn't enough, I added the Gemballa 550hp upgrade to it which increased the torque to 800nm. That car is quicker to 100 than my 360. Turn off the PSM and it will spin all 4 tires from a standing start. As for handling, the porsche dealer recalibrated the low-setting of the air suspension down an inch, that helped handling somewhat.

12. turbo6

turbo6 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I wonder a modified Jeep SRT8's and Chevy's new LS2 powered Trailblazer SS would compare to the new Cayenne and the AMG? For instance a Trailblazer SS can picked up in the low 30's. Lingenfelter makes twin turbo kits for the LS2 that can make 750hp and include a 2 year 24k mile warranty for 30-50K. Supercharger systems can be had for much less and should be able to produce 550-600hp without many issues. Now I know a Trailblazer doesn't have the prestige or status of a Porsche, or the full factory warranty once power adders come into play, but I think true power junkies don't really care as long as its fast.

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have an '05 CT. On one of it's numerous dealer software upgrades, I was given a non turbo loaner. It actually felt like a better daily driver with more torque off boost and without the gobs of lag in the turbo.
    Justified buying mine to tow a race car, but is just a pointless OHOS IMO.

14. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus
    I extensively drove the CT and CS before buying the CS. I can't imagine the Turbo S on the road. Compared to the Range Rovers, ML's, G's, X's and other SUV's, they just feel much nicer.

The feeling of all that power in a heavy car, being propelled forward is incredible. I decided on the CS, just because I have enough other cars for fun driving, and the towing capacity of the S is the same as the Turbo, anyway, and everytime, I've towed my Shelby to the track, I just set the cruise control on 70, and off we go with no fuss.

But 520 horse in that car, must feel awsome! I'm not sure who their target market is, but my understanding is that the dealers aren't going to stock any Turbo S's but you must special order it if you want it. I just want to drive one !!

Cyrus

15. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I dont know, in that third picture the Cayenne looks sort of awkward. I would go look at the Land Rover Sport supercharged, or the Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 if I were considering the Cayenne. I like the 520hp though, but the front of it is a little off for me still. But then again, im more of a 911/ Carrera GT guy.

16. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Some people like to own something different.
    I personally have a GMC Typhoon with over 530 WHP, and the looks I get when I whoop somebody at a stoplight are priceless.