This board is devaluing Ferraris! | FerrariChat

This board is devaluing Ferraris!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Boxer12, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Put 10 people in a room and they can pick apart anything. When they try to 'one up' each other, it can get rediculous. Personally, I think that this forum is devaluing Ferraris by putting up 'look what I saw' threads with negative comments, which solicits numerous other negative comments, and devalues cars in the process. I am all in favor of free speech, but isn't it getting a little out of hand? BTW, I am not buying or selling, and haven't been since I joined this group. I just think the Ferrari community could benefit from putting a lid on it. Maybe we should just have a new thread for car critics. I personally believe it would be sad if any prospective buyer put a thread on this forum for comments, b/c the vast majority of feedback seems to be nit picking. JMHO

2. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    Headline “Ferrari enthusiast talking trash devalues there own cars”

[Sarcasm]Ah yes I’m sure that this forum has a momentous effect of the value of a Ferrari.[/Sarcasm]

3. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I hope not, but honestly, it makes me wonder what all the chipping away does accomplish.

4. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The nitpicking is just idle minds with nothing better to do. In fact, it's probably part of the fun for those who do it. It doesn't have the power to devalue Ferraris. Exploding engines or transmissions after 1000 miles on 20% of the 430 run would devalue that particular model maybe but not Ferraris.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Informed consumers only make up maybe 10% of all Ferrari purchasers.
    Slightly informed consumers make up another 70%. ;)
    There are people out there who prefer a 20 year old car with only 200 miles on it.
    Conclusion: There is no sense to Ferrari pricing. ;)

Okay guys, let's get serious about "devaluing" those "big awkward slow old geezer's" 550s ...
    ... so I can buy one. :D

(Plan to keep 'em forever, and never worry about resale.)

6. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    man I don't see your point at all. Do you have thread examples?

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    BigAl:
    Go to the multiple threads about the new 599GTB.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but some of these comments are rather self-righteous. Meaning, the attitude comes across that if you don't agree with their primarily negative attitude, you must not have any taste, and certainly the entire world is on their side. It's not. They know more than Ferrari and Pininfarina, they know what's better for the market than the experts. They don't.

Boxer12: I agree with your thread, but I really do not think that the opinions expressed on FChat will make any difference in the real world. I am not worried that because certain posters think a new car is terrible, that it will have any effect on sales or on a perspective buyer that reads those comments. I believe that anyone in the financial category to buy a new Ferrari has their own mind, and will make a decision on their own accord.

Despite the comments, I not only like the new Ferrari, I am hoping to buy one this year.

8. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    I love this group but maybe I can see the point, too. We are all so into the cars at least when we participate here. Face it, anyone who participates to any moderate extent here is a FAR more active owner of ANYthing and is going to get somewhat myopic about the item in question. Sort of like a good detailing process - when we get real close to the cars we see each little flaw and magnify it in our minds. By the time you're done you're convinced the car looks like ****e. Then, go away, have a coupla, beers, do some other chores, or leave the car for a day or two and then come back -it looks - and is - fabulous.

I see the EXACT same things happen on RENNList Porsche forum, almost exact subject lines on messages - you'd think 996's are falling apart. Same in any aviation forum, amateur radio groups...anything where an intense gathering of singleminded people gather.

Chris

9. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    "A person is smart. People are stupid"

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Pot, meet kettle.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm wondering if you're talking about the various ebay and pricing threads. If so, don't you think it's a service to the potential buyer to have multiple eyes looking at the car? If one's not familiar with these cars, it's easy to overlook a minor-seeming thing that is very expensive to replace/fix. Think toolbags, smog pumps, etc. There's also at least one 89 328 GTB running around out there that had the front end smashed in, and the ebay seller wasn't going to disclose that fact until he got caught out here.

If you're speaking of new car threads, then let's get real for a moment. Ferrari will sell anything it makes, even SUVs, because there are folk out there that must have the latest prancing horse no matter it's charms. Fans discussing the merits or lack thereof of these new cars isn't going to have a measurable impact on Ferrari sales.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If it's the Ebay things you are referring to mostly, THANK GOD FOR FCHAT!!!
    I is our duty to inform folks of false listings, cars that we know have been wrecked, unplugged speedometer sending units, flood cars, bad service histories, etc. Basically the things you would want to know if you were buying it. People spend a lot of money on these cars. They have every right to know what they are getting into.

13. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    And there was me thinking it would be a combination of the devaluation of the brand through its links with pretty terrible merchandise (why not market a tastefull and stylish range of products that would appeal to apsiring and current owners rather than a range of crap for the masses) the commercial success of the 360/430 leading to oversupply on the used market and the hideous 612 and 5.99

Fchat threads tend to pull the over priced under maintained cars to bits, not the clean well priced cars out there......

but thats just my opinion

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I think if all you 3*8 owners would stop complaining about belt changes the values would go up faster. And if all you 348 owners stopped complaining about the cars being too slow they'd be worth more too. And don't get me started on cracked 355 headers or the cost of a 456 transmission. In addition, NO ONE should buy a Testarossa because we all know they cost the value of the car yearly in maintainence.

But if you really want to laugh, look at the Mondial on eBay that's on the trailor and tell me what it's worth.

Ken

15. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    You could make the opposing argument and say that the internet has created a larger potential pool of buyers. Many people were isolated from good information pre-internet. It is not hard to imagine a pharmacist in the mid-west making $100,000 a year in 1992 assuming he could never afford a Ferrari. Today, that pharmacist has internet access and can see that he can purchase a 328 for $42,000, well within his means. If the internet did not exist, how many fewer buyers would there be for used Ferraris and how would that affect the prices received?

16. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C

You want an example of that.. go on the ESP Guitar forum on the ESP website. Buncha teenagers and wanna be rock stars that rip you apart if you dont agree with what they say like kids on a playground (which is primarily what they are)

I have to disagree with that comment. The attitude i perceive on this board is adults conversing, sometimes debating and sometimes agreeing to disagree. You cant tell me that Ferrari owners are sitting here, and telling others how their car sucks and I dont know why i ever bought it? I see nothing but posts for pretty much all models new and old by owners saying, "Ive never regretted my purchase." or "I love my car and would never part with it." And even people saying, "I wish i still had my 308 even though I love my 360."

Buncha die hards on this board, bro. People that are very passionate about their cars and know even the most minute details. I think that preaches just the opposite of what you're claiming.

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    It's a double edged sword. Rare items that are not popular go down in value with the internet because would be buyers can comparison shop instead of having to pay up for the first one they find. The opposite has happened with my Europa TC.

They are very rare in top condition, and prices for such cars have almost doubled (TC/S, not the Renault version although they're going up too) since I bought mine in 2001. I attribute this to increasing popularity from the Yahoo group. We have lots of newbies looking for top condition cars, so restoring them has become more cost effective as well as the existing pool becoming more valuable.

Even the basket cases have gone up marginally as they are now being actively sought as parts cars.

Ken

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    man, talk about rough....

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I hate to throw stones as the owner may be here...but $26k? That car needs a LOT of work, as the owner has been honest enough to list. If you got the car for $10k it may still be more cost effective to part it out than restore it.

Ken

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There are forum members to the far Left and others to the far right, and a few in the middle.The only thing that is constant is that they will never meet.Thats why they call the forum a Community. The thing that stands out here is that in life as in this forum...You only remember the bad things said!

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Why restore it?

Pick it up for 10-15K, wet sand the paint and wax it, do some minimal repairs and drive the snot out of it. Not every Ferrari has to be a show car.

22. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    or a parts car.

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Devaluing Ferraris, come on. All this forum does is inform people about the problems other people see with certian cars. If I was buying a Ferrari, I would want some of these people to tear it apart and tell me of all the potential problems. What percent of the Ferrari community actually participate in this website?? And when I saw participate, I mean someone who actually posts and read posts on a regular basis. My guess would have a very small percent. And with a small percent, the power to influence is not great at all. So my opinion would be, this website sets the value of cars where they should be given the condition they are in, if it even does anything at all.

Mark

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I think the key phrase is "minimal repairs"....sounds like it may need a lot of work just to get it running adequately.

Ken

25. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    WRONG !!!

A lot of kids and unqualified opinions ;)

Flamesuit On !!!