MORE computer Problems!!!! | FerrariChat

MORE computer Problems!!!!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Ferrari0324, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Last night I was on the internet with no problems. Closed it (comcast) opened again and it wouldn't show the home page. I tried to open the list of previous sites i'd been on to get to f-chat, and it would keep closing it. I was able to type it in. Computer started acting slow (felt like I had a virus). Then Norton said my subscription is up, which I'm positive I updated a few months ago. I look at the registry and it says it doesn't expire until 7/28/06. I'm holding on the phone w/ Symantec now(getting really aggravated.) I didn't click on anything last night to get a virus.It also kicked me off f-chat so I have to re sign in, which I'm afraid to do. What if it is a virus that can copy my information and pass it on, ya know? I'm using my sisters computer now. Someone please help!

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Maybe do a spyware scan? Try downloading the MS anti-spyware stuff, it's a free download at Microsoft.com

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  4. icantdrv55

icantdrv55 Karting

Aug 13, 2005
    Hartfordish, CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like spyware to me... Those who write spyware these days are getting to be savvy to the fact that people have antivirus and antispyware programs protecting their computer, and thus have begun to write routines in their malicious code that prevents the protection software from running at all (either shuts it down or prevents it from running at startup). This would explain your weird problems with Norton -- it may well have been sabatoged by the malware you picked up.

At best, Microsoft Anti-spyware or Ad-Aware might help you out, at worst you'll have to rebuild your HDD.

Good luck.

Be wary of the anti spyware programs you download off the web.... many are actually vehicles that install even more malware on your system.

I don't know the URL for the MS program, but Ad-Aware is at

www.lavasoft.com

5. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Turns out Norton doesn't support the 2003 version anymore, which is what I had. So I had to order and DL 2006. Fine, no problem but it keeps saying that I need to update the latest virus protection even though i've done it 5 times. My internet is still focked up though!!! I'm so sick and tired of computers.

Tomorrow I may just reinstall comcast.

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I changed the time on my computer yesterday and I accidently made the date 2007 as well and didn't realize it. That screwed everything up. I put myself through all this anger for no reason and bought Norton 06 for no reason.