308 radiators | FerrariChat

308 radiators

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wmcalister1, Jan 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wmcalister1

wmcalister1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Noticed a small pinhole leak in my 80 308. Is there any recommendations for repair shops or replacement sources?

2. dan the man

dan the man Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    This really is question more for a local mechanic's shop, or if you have a mechanic that you use, ask them for a reputable Radiator repair shop.

Any good radiator repair shop will be able to repair the radiator, up to and including replacing the rows.

This should not be a very expensive thing to have done. If the pin hole is in one of the juggs, then they should be able to repair that for (in my area, south east US) about $65.00. Generally when they rebuild it, they will reuse your juggs and replace the rows, and pressure test the unit. This should not be more than (again in my area) $150, $200 tops. Your area may differ.

I do not feel that it is worth the cost of shipping the radiator out of town just to get it repaired. Find one locally.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Nothing special about ours so stay away from a Ferrari dealer. Just pick a local shop that does that sort of thing. A leak is not uncommon 20+ years later. I have had mine repaired twice. Both times it was done here by a radiator shop.

4. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Just got my 75 308gt4 back from my mechanic today. The rad had developed a small leak. He removed the rad, sent to a local rad shop and they took the tanks off of the core. Turns out the leak was at the joint where the left tank mates to the core. The rad shop did a thorough inspection and cleaned the core with rods. I advised them that I was prepared to pay for a new core but the rad shop told me that the core was actually in very good condition and there was no need to replace it (pretty impressive for a 30 yr old core with 42K on it). They resoldered the tanks and core and I'm back on the road. Don't know how much it cost because my mechanic owed me a favor but it didn't sound like it was that big of a job. My advice is keep it local, send the rad to your local rad experts, let em do their job. Good luck.

5. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    What would be wrong with Radweld or another such product made for just this situation?

Just drop a bit in the header tank and carry on driving.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The take-home message here is it is easy and not expensive to fix (one of the few things that isn't)