TR steering wheel / hub nut removal..Help | FerrariChat

TR steering wheel / hub nut removal..Help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ASG 86TR, Jan 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I got the steering wheel off with the small hex screws, but how does one take the hub nut off? It is not a regular nut. It is round with four notches in the side of the thing. Is there a special socket for it? I need to get to the combi switches for repair.
    Adam

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, yes. That style of nut (usually called a "ring-nut") is often used on rotating shafts where you need a large thread ID but not a huge cross-section. It's a case of you either make your own tool or buy one from www.baumtools.com (measure the OD of your ring nut for the size -- and please post the value) or an authorized F place (but the Baum price is much more rational than from F).

Try a search on "baum". Should get you a lot threads describing the great lengths that others have gone to ;) I personally like having one in my toolbox.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Adam,

I went to Ferrari of Wide World of Cars, and borrowed the tool to take off the hub of my 328. You may want to try and see if they would lend it to you as well.

4. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I ordered one from Baum...FR105 for $85. Just tried it, and it wont fit...The tool is made for 38MM, I have to measure the nut. The OD of the tool that was sent rubs on the inside of the hub. Not good....If someone has the right tool, could you take a picture of it, and double check the Dimm in MM.
    Thanks.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, this uncertainty about the TR size had come up before (which is why I asked you to measure and post the value ;)). IIRC, it was reported that the 28mm size was the correct one, but I have no data on this.

6. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I will check it as soon as I find my calipers.....I feel like a fool...I always check....Does BAUM have the smaller one, or is that a make your own Steve?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think Baum has it available -- maybe "smog pump pulley" size, but just give them (and us ;)) the outer diameter measurement of the circular portion.

I just bought the FR102 and FR105 from Baum during my 308 Stewardship rather than making my own, so I must have fabricated ever taking my TR apart in my imagination (which created the confusion -- oops!). Mine are both fabricated like the jpeg on the left (even though that's the FR105 image from the Baum site on the right).

Sorry about not making it clearer in my first post about the possible uncertainty -- it wouldn't hurt if you could try to let Baum know that their description for FR105 should be more model specific (or exclusionary) and they should add "TR steering wheel hub ring-nut" to the one that works.

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Steve ( 91TR ) & I had this exact conversation a couple of years ago. He is absolutely right about Baum tools. I had the same problem you had. You need tool FR 104 to remove the hub. There seems to be different size ring nuts on the various TRs. My TR is a 91 US version. I actually went into the garage to verify the tool as I'm writing this. I hope this helps. :)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

9. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Steve;

Got the wheel and the the nut off the other day, but that hub just will not move....it is locked on there....is there any other fastner I have to worry about, or is just the lock-tite they used from the factory? I have a puller made for hubs (one center post with three arms that come out...will this do it, or will it damage the hub?
    Adam

10. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    #10 Dr_ferrari, Mar 14, 2006
    Do not use that type of puller, you may damage the hub. If you look on either side of the hub bolt, you will see two holes for a puller to be mounted.

mount the puller and tighten. If it does not move, tap on the head of the puller center bolt with a hammer to break free the hub from the spindle.

no other bolts or fasteners hold the hub, only that center bolt. the hub tends to bind to the shaft over time but should have no problem removing with this puller.

best regards, Jim

11. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Jim...I looked on either side of my hub and the only hole is one where the horn wire comes out. There are holes on either "riser" of the hub that could be grabed by the type of puller I have, not the ones with bolts....

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Mar 18, 2006
    Adam -- Is your TR steering wheel hub the same or different than this jpeg of my '91?

I've noted that the TR SPC steering hub illustration for my SN doesn't match my '91's actual part shape so it could be they made some other changes/improvements over the years (like adding some extra tapped holes for a puller when needed) -- just a thought since you have an early-ish TR.

If the "holes in the risers" on yours are something like mine (a "sheetmetal" structure) and you're using a jaw-type puller engaged in those holes, you'd need to limited the force from the puller (i.e., the sheetmetal structure may be permanently damaged before the tapered joint releases). If you are forced to use those features to engage the puller, I think you could tighten up the puller as much as you think is safe for the sheetmetal structure and then give the central threaded rod of the puller a few raps with a hammer as Jim suggested. However, if you're forced to grab the "riser", you might be better off using the flat bolt-on type puller (preferably with 3 legs at 120 deg) since, when bolted in place, the 3-leg part of the puller will add stiffness to the riser structure (but you still need to be careful with how much force you put on the puller -- don't just crank it until something "pops").

13. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Steve....it looks just like that....I will take care in trying to lift it off.....Thanks..

14. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Got the hub off after this weekend!!! I tried everything and was just about to give up and decided to put the wheel back on to give some strength to the hub and used a 3 arm gear / hub puller. I gripped the arms behind the wheel (with some tape so not to damage the wheel) and gave it a few slooooow twists of the centre bolt. It popped off!!!

I then took out the small key in the shaft and was able to slip off the while collar for the turn signal return. Then removed the two flat head screws and slid the entire combi switch assy. Then just unplug the two wire harness connections and it's out.

Looking as though it's going to go out to FerrariPartsExchange for repair as they are no longer avail new.
    Adam

Will try to take some pictures.

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #15 kerrywittig, Mar 27, 2006
    Brian,
    Here is some info of an "economical" way that you can use to remove the steering wheel hub and nut from your TR and possibly other F-Cars. I just did this 4 days ago................

First, if you need a puller to remove the wheel, call or visit your local Advanced Auto Parts store, http://advanceauto.know-where.com/advance-auto-parts/ (AutoZone and others probably have the same item) and "borrow" it for a $22 deposit, which they refund when you return it or you can keep the puller and you now own a puller for $22, the appropriate puller, which comes in an attractive protective plastic storage case with a variety of bolts and fixtures. It is part #648645 and/or Kit #14. It is the proper puller with one draw back..............It does not have the appropriate bolts with the proper thread pitch that you will need. I do NOT know what the correct size and pitch would be, but because I have a large selection of used bolts on hand I found the correct ones. Maybe someone will chime in with that info. Any way you can get them at any hardware store for about a dollar each at most.

Next.......... as far as the socket that is required to remove the steering wheel nut................make it for $3.
    I made mine from a $2, Made In Taiwan, 7/8" six point socket, 1/2" drive and 15 minutes with a die grinder (cutting wheel for die grinder $1, ie. the $3 total is arrved at..... $2 socket + $1 cutting wheel = $3)......Here is a pix. The fabrication isn't pretty, but the results are fine, and will save you $80+ for the Baum socket and $100 to OWN the puller. If your pulling off TR steering wheels on a daily basis, yeah buy the socket and puller. But hey for $3 you now have the socket and "borrow" a puller, that leaves you $173 dollars to buy a stainless steel heat shield or an aluminum spoiler skid plate for your TR from...............ME.........Hope this is helpful...............Kerry

16. Rosso1

Rosso1 Rookie

May 14, 2009
    Phila. Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I surrender, I'm going to take it in for a professional to fix this and my AC. If I would have had the right tools, I would have gone further into the horn problem. Without the proper tools I felt I could screw up the hub and get even deeper into the problem. I am going to attempt to install a complete Stebro "off road" exhaust from the precats back, and I'll let you know how this goes. I think the system comes out through the bottom, but if this is wrong let me know. I really appreciated all your help. Thanks Ron

17. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings.. I have a full Stebro set up on my TR and it is going to install from the bottom. It may give you some problems with fitment and make sure you specify with Dan at Stebro that:

1. He includes new donut gaskets
    2. (Most Important) that he sleeves the cat test pipes for proper gasket seating otherwise you are in for a fun fun day..

R