Real World Availability of 430 Coupe | FerrariChat

Real World Availability of 430 Coupe

Discussion in '360/430' started by W. MITTY, Jan 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    I've got an 05 Gallardo and am considering a 430 Coupe, Six Speed. I have searched the forum, talked to my local dealers, and read elsewhere that the production run is sold out. My questions for those who have been through the Ferrari purchase process are fairly simple:

1. As the frenzy for coupes becomes a bit more moderate (and the motivation to flip cars subsides) will spaces "open up" on the long term waiting lists, and if so, would it be possibe to step into one of those spots? (I note that premium over MSRP has been declining).

2. Are there any dealers in the U.S. who may have an allocation for a 430 Coupe that has not been presold?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1. possibly.

2. probably not, and you have to buy from a dealer that services your geographical area.

3. First step is to talk to your local dealer about it.

As an aside, getting one with a stick shift may be especially difficult since most of the people who are on that list (which is separate from the paddle list) will actually keep their cars.

Dave

3. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    Please provide data to support above? The anectdotal reports on this board over the past few weeks have not been validated as true sales. The lowest I've heard of is 38K above sticker. Asking prices on 2006 Coupes are 255-265K.

4. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    I have been checking around on sales numbers on coupes. The real number for coupes with good colors and options is 255k to 265k.....This is for cars that have less then 1000 miles....Any cars moving at lower numbers are rare and somtimes it happens so what!!! People are always saying this car what a deal the bottoms dropping such bull shi%....The fact is this FERRARI is delivering this car slowly period. So slow that the 360 has seen a bump in price this winter from summer 05 numbers...Algar is paying more now with snow on the ground for 360s then last summer. The demand for the 430 will out do supply all the way thru!!!!

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Enjoy your Gallardo for a while and when 07 coupes drop to 20K over, jump in.Which is sure to happen because the new 997TT will put a small dent in the coupes demand.Beyound that the all new 08 NSX will bring the coupe down to list only.I still remember the effect of 92 NSX.

6. Fly'n DutchMan

Fly'n DutchMan Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Sander Brouwers
    Of all F430's to date about 60% are coupes of that 17% are 6speeds.

So if you figure 5000 total cars worldwide, then how many of those made it to the US market, then how many of those were F430 coupes and then take 17% of that number and you'll get and idea about how many coupe 6sps were made. So there are not going to be many cars available.

7. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    My data comes from my own personal experience; I've run the guantlet on flip cars in my local area. (Scottdsale is a hotbed of exotics in the Winter time). Several months ago, we talked seriously in the 260 range. I now can step in for a number in the 230s (remember, its a six speed), but I have a philosophical problem with taking that much of a hit, up front, on a depreciating asset. I'm impressed with the recent press on the car, but my enthusiasm has its limits.

By the way, I had an NSX for four years, I just recently sold it. If the '08 NSX has the same impact on the industry and enthusiast expectations of exotics as it did in '91, I may not need a 430 after all. :)

8. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have owned a 360 6-speed and thought it was a great car. The F1 in the 430 is so good it will make those of us who are 6-speed fans re-think the choice of transmissions. Try before you buy. The question of price seems overdone. This is not a money making proposition for anyone but the dealers who have invested millions to be a franchised Ferrari dealer.

9. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    was in the same situation & almost ordered the Gallardo but last minute bought a 430. i like the Gallardo style more but ended up with 430 because of its resale value.

if u want a 6 speed coupe chances finding it is pretty rare. however, the entire 430 production/allocation is sold out statement is not true. Ferrari plays the game well u just need to figure out how to play with them. paying premium is not a bad thing as long as u know how to get it back.

10. yellow 355

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    The 08 NSX will have zero impact on the 430 market.Tell us about how many people would get out of line for the 430 to step into this Ricer exotic???I have an idea....ZERO!!!!!! This is crack pipe talk!!! The NSX could run circles around the 430 no one will care this is not a Ferrari. Please some reality here!!!!!

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It's not that many will get out of line it's more to do with people that not are inline at a dealer will have an alternate choice. So the premium will shrink.
    Where were you when the original 92 NSX was selling for 25K over sticker and 348s were available immediately from stock at a discount.

12. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    2010, not 2008.

The next NSX is far off, and despite Honda's public comments to the contrary, they're still not sure if they'll even greenlight it.

Plus to be honest, it's not 1990 anymore. Ferrari and Porsche haven't left the door so wide open that another mfg can just debut a product that's head and shoulders above what the 328/911 were at that time. In fact, with the F430/Gallardo/997 Turbo all being 10/10 cars, there's a very good chance a 500hp V-10 powered NSX would wind up getting worse reviews. That's how tough it is out there right now, everyone is really on their game.

Honda knows this internally, hence their trepidation about re-entering a market where they lost an extreme amount of money the first go around.

(2000 NSX owner).

13. yellow 355

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Jaz who cares were anybody was in 89 or 90!!! What are you thinking is a better????? The world wide exotic car market was in a big time slump overall at that time. Ferrari was with a major hangover from the runaway spec market. Remember A MILLION PLUS FOR FERRARIS.....Along with this out comes Ferrari with a car that was getting spanked by everything!!!! Not good for sales Jaz.....The NSX was cheap by Ferrari standards and faster and Exotic!!!!!!The new hot babe is in town and everyone wanted to get laid Jaz....Please this is a different time we are in at this point!!!!Ferrari has never ever been this hot.....PLEASE people are not getting a good night waiting for that dream car the 430. No sleep being lost for the 08 NSX FOR SURE JAZ...

14. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    You need to research as to how to get a 430 at sticker more diligently.Also do not buy 6 speed 430. Car is designed around the F1, only aspect of the car that makes it special.

15. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    Gary,
    we think alike. i'm dying to test drive a 6sp 430 because no matter how good the F1 is the 6sp is always more fun. i wouldn't mind getting another F1 but i need to try the 6sp first. the whole F1 car is better than 6sp car is just bothering me.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    If you live in the SF Bay Area, or visit here, drop me a PM.

Gary

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Will see what happens 24 months from now.

18. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If one is looking to acquire a first time membership into the Ferrari "club", more specifically an F430, I find the opinions above regarding the new 997TT or a new NSX affecting F430 demand to be totally off the mark.

I had to pay the price of admission to find out what all the fuss is about the F430 - and words cannot desribe the feeling of the entire experience.

I was very aggressive in my search for the car. There are cars available for you to buy NOW, if you really want the car. Your next Ferrari will be @ MSRP once you "join the club". I wouldn't take the chance on waiting to see if and when the premium softens - nobody has that crystal ball. But then again, I'm not known for my patience when it comes to cars.

I might consider a 997TT as a daily driver (in addition to my F430) - but certainly not in the same solar system as a Ferrari. I've owned Porsches and loved them, but the whole Ferrai thing is in a class all by itself in every way you can imagine, not even close!

I can't imagine the thought process: "I'm having a tough time finding a Ferrari at MSRP or a low premium so I think I'll get the new Porsche 997TT or, maybe when the new Honda NSX comes out, I'll get that instead!"

Again, there are many opinions on this Board. This is just mine...

All I can say is - you won't think about what you paid AFTER you drive the car!!

19. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    That might be true for the entire production. But I've been told by dealers that fewer than 10% of the US cars are 6-speeds.

Anyone still on the fence, please get an F1. :)

20. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    I would like to hear your advice regarding the process of the purchase. Please PM me if you have the time. Thanks.

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I've gone both ways 360 F1, 360 gearshift, 575F1 and my 430 coupe will be a six speed. I could really care less which is faster, if I just wanted speed, I could get for a lot less money. I wish you luck finding a gearshift car, unless you really know the dealer well it is just about impossible at this point. Many dealers are only getting 1 or 2 gearshift cars a year.

22. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    What about the Best Motoring video that showed the 430 vs. Gallardo vs. TT vs. NSX vs. AMG? The 430 had no problems with the Gallardo though the Porsche was another story.

It will be interesting to see how the next NSX, Lexus sports car, and Skyline GTR impact 430 prices. I'm guessing that there will be very little impact. These cars will probably have a stronger impact on the 360/355 market since most of these new sports cars will be in the 90 - 110k range.

Even the new M3 will have a high advanced SMG and a V8 with something north of 400hp.

Ferrari is still the club to be in and many people want to join but in a few years, people looking for high-end performance from a luxury marque will have more options to choose from.

Throw in a recession somewhere between 07 - 09 just when all these cars hit the market and who knows what will happen to prices.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've got 2 F430's just itching for new owners. On is a Spider other is coupe..both F1..both very hot and yummy..

24. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tdf360 and Scotty -- great respectful posts in light of the troll attacks.

I have a 360 6spd and love it to death. My 430 is coming with a 6spd -- there's really something really magical about hitting 8500 rpms yourself and timing a change just perfectly. Could the f1 tranny do a better job ? Yep Could it do it faster -- you betcha. Am I willing to pay nearly $10k and hand over those duties ... nope. I'm gonna get an F1 in the 599GTB, but this is because the focus of that car is different, and well maybe I'll enjoy the change. The only time I've tried the F1 system was when I drove the dealer's Maserati -- it left me rather cold. But I have no problems whatsoever with other folks buying the F1 -- that's what's great about choice! I realize too that I am in a very small minority of owners that choose the stick. I also like the look of the infamous gate, and to my surprise have found that it works wonderfully. The 360 transmission, apart from disliking 2nd when cold, is an absolute charmer and impossible not to love -- I could let my teenager drive it (though he's gonna have to work on his grades before getting that reward!)

To answer the original poster's questions.

1. I too have a very hard time paying a cent over MSRP. My advice is to visit your dealer with your checkbook in hand and explain that you love the car, you're not hoping to make a quick buck on flipping it, that you really want to own the car and write them a deposit (I gave $5k). For me it took just over 2 years before I got "the call", but this was Modena mid-production cycle. If the dealer understands that this could be the start of a long customer/dealer relationship they will be eager to help you. They might be a bit trepidatious at the start (kinda like dating) -- but once you decide to get married it should be a very happy relationship.

2. Almost certainly not. There are very few F dealers in the country, and they're all very aware of the value of their product -- or rather their prospective customers are all very aware of the value. Do you think there were any Xbox360 systems sitting on shelves in one part of the US the week before xmas ? High demand for an item will cause prospective customers to hunt far & wide to locate a dealer with stock. Dealers want to deal with customers that are likely to be customers for a long time, ie in their geographical market -- use this to your advantage and develop a good relationship with your local dealer.

It will likely be a long time, if the history of the 360 and 355 is anything to go by, before a premium over MSRP does not exist for used cars. And why pay extra for something used ? Why not wait a couple of years, and be her first ? ;-) (Jeez, throw the money in a moderate mutual fund and go on a vacation of a lifetime with the gains)

25. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    How anyone could think that a base 360 could somehow be equivalent to a Gallardo is beyond me. Every time I've driven a 360 I got out wondering where the other half of the engine was...it had so little torque that it reminded me of the S2000 or other similarly high-strung/low output Japanese sportscars. It just seemed slow to me.

The 06 F430 or 06 Gallardo is a much harder choice, and much more justifiable in a person going either way. Both are excellent cars, with massive advantages over a 360.

There are nearly a hundred 360s for sale right now on eBay alone, versus just 18 Gallardos and similar numbers of F430s. Clearly the majority of 360 owners are dumping that car as fast as possible to get into one of the other two, it's fairly obvious. And those owners are correct in doing so. They're also likely trying to avoid being off warranty with the 360, which requires an engine-out for all major services. The F430 and Gallardo don't. That alone is reason to jettison the previous gen car...