550 EXHAUST - I NEED SUGGESTIONS | FerrariChat

550 EXHAUST - I NEED SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by evo1313, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evo1313

evo1313 Rookie

Jan 16, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I JUST PURCHASED A 2000 550 AND I AM VERY SURPRISED AT THE LACK OF EXHAUST NOTE THE CAR HAS.

I AM INTERESTED IN PUTTING EXHAUST ON THE CAR BUT DO NOT WANT THE SOUND THAT THE 355 / 360'S SOUND LIKE WITH TUBI STYLE EXHAUST.

JUST WONDERING WHAT OPTIONS ARE OUT THERE AND WHAT YOU GUYS THINK.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

TRAVIS

I PUT A TUBI ON MY 550 AFTER THE STOCK EXHAUSTS DID NOTHING

THE SOUND IS GREAT....TO MY LIKING..

ABOUT 2K TO 2.5 BASSY AND RUMBLING NOISE...AND DOWNSHIFTING SOUNDS GREAT

OTHER PEOPLE LIKE THE CAPRISTO AND FUCHS SYSTEMS TOO

I LOVE MY TUBIS..

GOOD LUCK

BRUCE

3. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    Tubi is the way to go. on 550/575 is does not sound like the 355/360 high pitch but rather a deep rumble tone.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have a set of tubis and a set of CarGraphic (Fuchs) and much prefer the FUCHS setup. It sounds worlds better than the Tubi, IMO.

Do a search and this topic has been covered myriad times. Everyone's ear is different, but:

Tubi: very loud low end, adds nothing to the mid-high end, some can rattle / have resonance

CG: Good but not insane low end, quietest around 2.5k (cruising speeds), very meaty middle and fantastic upper end.

You could always add a center pipe for more noise but I wouldn't do this immediately.

--Dan

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I added Tubi's and love the sound. Not too loud for me -- but that is a subjective thing, I like it loud but sometimes I have to turn car off in the drive-thru. At mid RPM car is a bit quiet, could be louder. If I was to do it again I'd look into the Fuchs.

6. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I received some interesting suggestions from Stephens, who has experimented with the 550's exhaust perhaps more than anyone else here.

Basically the bottom line is:
    1) Replace the centre muffler for better exhaust gas free-flow and increased bass tones
    2) Also fit a BMC air filter and - bang! - you'll find up to 35 extra horses which you didn't know were there (check out dyno curves published by Stephens on Fchat)
    3) On top of everything else, fit the Tubi end-mufflers if you want the car to be really LOUD - everyone will hear you! These won't add any extra power but they are at least 40Kg lighter than the original items, and that's akin to increasing HP!

Good luck
    I'll get my own car modified in the spring, can't wait :D

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Need more information. I'll search fchat, thanks for this.

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    ferrarifixer has a jig for these.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tubi + Tubi centerpipe = apocalyptic sound!

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    M: you heard my car with the stebro center pipe. I am not hugely pleased and hopefully will have one of Phil's to compare with soon. The sound is great but booming resonance at 2k kills. The car sounds fantastic, though.

--Dan

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would second Stephens suggestions on changes to enhance performance. These changes make a difference:

1. Get a new center X pipe and pitch the factory junk
    2. Change out the air filters from stock

These do help your performance but only make a minor change in sound level. The center X pipe/filters add a little bass but don't give you anything near the classic, old line Ferrari V12 sound--instead, the car is still pretty quiet, indeed maybe too quite for many.

If you want more, you'll still have to go with the tubi or CG end mufflers. They're show, not go but if you're looking for "that" sound, its the only way.

12. Tarek

Tarek Rookie

May 18, 2005
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    TooToo
    Does any body know where to install the Fuchs in Orange or L.A
    county , Calif, and about how much $

Thanx

Tarek

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I changed my aircleaners to the BMC CDA's a few weeks ago, for even further improved performance. Perhaps Phil can post a pic of the install.

14. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Heard some good things about the Capristo and Fuchs.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I have heard Tubis on several 550s and it sounds great. It's a totally different sound than the 360s with Tubi.

16. thusly

thusly Karting

Not sure how comparable this might be, but heard a 575 with a Cargraphics exhaust. Amazing - great rumble at idle and great sound at idle to mid revs. Made me want to change my Tubi to CG.

17. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate

I installed a Tubi in my 2005 575M and am very pleased. The deceleration gurggle is fantastic. The acceleration sound is wonderful.

My Tubi came with 2 Tubi free-flow air filters which were super-easy to install. I was thinking about installing BMC's but decided to forgo it due to the ones supplied by Tubi.

Does it add any HP? I think it's more psychosematic than anything else. However, I would do it in a NY second should I ever buy another Ferrari.

18. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Perhaps my 550 would bennefit from the BMC but this is the first time that it has been brought to my attention. What is it?

19. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think Tubi and 550 are the combination, but that is all I have experienced on a 550. Sounds much different than the 360s I have heard, which I also liked but did not sound as bad a$$ as my 550.

20. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Gentlemen, its clear we need the x-pipe. Lets see it!

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  22. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    BMC's are Italian-made, replacement air filters. http://www.bmcairfilters.com/

The cheapest I've found them was at NAPerformance: http://store.yahoo.com/nonturbo/kospairfi.html FYI: BMC makes the filters for Koenig-Specials.

Whether they create more HP is a little suspicious. I don't think they sound any different, either.

I decided not to buy them because Tubi already supplied 2 of their free-flow filters with the purchase of my exhaust...

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have done back to back dyno tests that show a real measurable improvement that are posted here on the board.

24. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Hi guys

I'm currently making 5 of each of my 2 types of centre )( pipes.

I'm making a true siamese style (not X, but )(..... ), and I'm making 5 with just mandrel bends and open pipe, and 5 with small silencers incorporated.... because with Tubi rear boxes, the unsilenced siamese centre makes it borderline noisy... I like it without, but as it's borderline, I'll offer the option.

They'll be ready VERY soon... the first silenced )( pipe is in dummy stage, once approved for fabrication, the whole lot will be available soon after.... I need to make a decent batch to get the price down.

Those guys who have already asked (you know who you are) are going to get a nice surprise on price, too....

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I will be very interested to see how the siamese compares to the x-pipe.

FWIW, those of you who doubt Stephen's dyno-proven points about BMC air filters and center pipes should note:

I just changed out to BMC filters (have been running a stebro center pipe for a long time) and to be very frank, there is a discernable difference. The car is so fast that it can now keep up with a murcielago (this is no joke) in pure acceleration terms.

Stock 550s are amazingly slow by comparison.

--Dan

PS: Stephen: what do you mean by BMC CDAs? What is a CDA?