Checking out the Veyron | FerrariChat

Checking out the Veyron

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Today or tomorrow - who is interested?

--Dan

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I'm in. Is it at SVAG?

Early afternoon today is particularly good. I'm leaving the computer right now. If anything is happening this afternoon, give me a call (sending a PM).

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Special "private" viewing. I talked to the guys. Plan is to meet at 5.45. If you are in, let me know.

--Dan

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where? Will we be able to hear it run? See it move? Jump in the drivers seat and do some donuts?
    :)

5. FerrariSoon

FerrariSoon Karting

May 18, 2005
    I think everyone gets to borrow it for a day ;)

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I was promised a week and four sets of tires. :D

--Dan

7. DLuxxx

DLuxxx Karting

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Derrick
    where is that at...i would wanna go. it's beautiful outside and the sun is out. good time to cruise in the ferrari w/ the top down and check out a veyron... =)

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Okay Dan, now that we have your attention, WHERE is the Veyron??
    :)

9. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm in. Where is it?

10. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    SVAG guys. go check it out..

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Hey sorry Mike. Yeah, it's over at Silicon Valley Auto Group. Supposedly came in today, leaves tomorrow night or thursday. Nizam brought it to my attention.

--Dan

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just teasing you Dan. I know you are super busy. Thanks for the heads up though, I'm definitely going to go check it out!

13. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I'll be in town on Wed. ... anyone going?

afternoon-ish?

14. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    How long is it going to be there for?

15. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've got a case tomorrow at Good Sam, so I'll try to swing by afterwards...should be around 1:00-1:30 if all goes smoothly.

16. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Yuck ... Dont like the exterior or the interior color - I heard the salesman at Pebble beach say that the car's MSRP is 1 million euros.

17. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #18 nizam, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for getting us together, Dan. Sorry you couldn't hang out later for dinner.

OK, back to the Bugatti. Whether you like the color of this particular example, you can't deny that it has presence. It's a very very w-i-d-e car. Its proportions are appropriately huge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #19 nizam, Jan 18, 2006
    The interior appeared to be comfortable enough (I didn't sit in it). Although if Jeremy Clarkson could drive one from Italy to England in one go, it can't be that bad.

I did like the horsepower meter in the instrument binnacle, though. I made a passing remark wondering how long it would take before a "HP meter" would make it into the A-pillar aftermarket instrument pods of your neighborhood rice-boy.

19. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #20 nizam, Jan 18, 2006
    Clearly, Jeremy Clarkson didn't carry much luggage on his trip because there isn't much trunk space to begin with. Roadtripping in a Veyron must be planned very carefully. You'll have to send your luggage ahead :)

20. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I thought the interior looked "elegant" and the color was appropriate for the car and the exterior color scheme. Of course I had a similar burgundy interior in one of my Porsche's so I'm used to that color :).

The car has presence, but is not "menacing". Still don't like the front, but the side and rear are slightly better in person than photos.

Driving position was very (too) low - I'm about 5'8". I could not see the corners and the sill was at my shoulder. However I read elsewhere that the seat is fitted to the buyer, so that can apparently be fixed.

Overall, very impressive. Would love to drive it, but not sure I'd want to own it.

21. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #22 nizam, Jan 18, 2006
    Some of you will probably make it into SVAG in the next day to see it in person. I've read about it in EVO, and saw / heard it on Top Gear, and was thrilled to see it in the flesh. This is one of those engineering exercises that resulted in something exceedingly special. For the record, I liked it :D.

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I have seen one before at Pebble Beach, but, honestly it didnt get my pulse racing by looking at it the way my first sighting of a CGT or an Enzo did.

The yellow McLaren in the back of the shot has 10X more presence in my view. Speaking of large cars, the Maybach also has presence but it is still ugly ...

I can't seem to make out if this car is intended to be a GT or a supercar. It has an engine of a supercar but is heavy enough to qualify as a GT. No denying its outright performance of course.

Actually what gets my goat is that they seemed to have thrown everything available in the VAG parts bin at this car - turbochargers, AWD, DSG, 4 cylinder packs ;), bathtub, etc. There is no sense of "less is more" kinda philosophy like the Zonda or the Big Mac.

Having said all that ... I love the engine turned dash.

My opinion of course. :)

23. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hmmmm....??? I see Nizam and Andrew in that picture. :)

Speaking of A-pillar HP meters....I'll be putting one in my beater when we do our beater run! :D

Nice pics, Nizam!

24. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I saw the Veyron at the Concorso about 3 years ago. I too did not get excited when I saw it. I was drooling at the McLaren F1 100 yards away :)