Barrett-Jackson..... | FerrariChat

Barrett-Jackson.....

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,it's Barrett-Jackson auction time again. This year they are showing it on SpeedTV for 5 days. And already on the very first day, some prime examples of the "More Money than Brains" crowd. (If you are watching, you KNOW what I am talking about...:) ) But, I suppose that I really shouldn't say that. If someone wants a particular car for some reason,it's definitely their own perogative as to how much they want to pay. But, really. Some of these have been pretty unbeliveable already.

This is normally a Muscle Car/Old Car/Hot Rod/Resto-Rod/Mod crowd. But they always throw in a few Ferrari's as "Fluff". Maybe a Countach or two. Have to see how many,what kind,and what they go for.

This is looking to be a fun week to watch, judging by the kind of money being spent on really unremarkable cars already.

2. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I'd love to go down there some year and buy a nice $25k cool clean driver of some sort.

3. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    More money then brains winner is a tie!

Ford Harley Davidson Excursion
    and Custom PT Cruiser w/trailor

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I know two guys down there right now. One will be one of the "big spenders". It will be interesting to see what he buys. He will NOT overspend to get something though.....

But most will.....h

5. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
  6. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Nothing particularly exiting from Ferrari stand point.

More money than brains. $85,000 for hemi clone?

7. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Yawn... but they do have a funny looking Aston for sale. Their most exciting Porsche is a 993? Tell me they have a DB5 from the Bond movie or a 550 Spyder. Im sorry, but a Mondial is just not too exciting for the world of Ferrari. This list reads like something you'd find at a Miami auction lot.

RocketBoy

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They said that there are only 4 Ferrari's entered this year. 4!!!! Then,they went on to say that in 1987,there were over 20 entered. That the market has changed and so on.

I have a Barrett-Jackson preview guide that I recieved in my last issue of Hemmings Motor News. As far as Ferrari's and exotics go. We have listed: Lot#762-A Black 1971 DeTomaso Pantera GTS. Lot#402-A Red 1986 Mondial cab. Lot#969-A Red 1985 "Gray market" Ferrari 308GTSi with 22K miles. Lot#1071-A Red 1980 Ferrari 308 GTBi with under 800 original Miles. Lot#1347-A Yellow 1995 355 Spider.
    Lot #1051.1-A White 1985 Lamborghini Countach.

So,seeing as most of the buyers that I see down there now look to be in their 50's and 60's. They are mostly looking for the Muscle cars and 1950-60-70's cars. So,in about 5 years or so,start looking for the Ferrari's and Lambo's again. Thats when the Next Generation of Car guys will be down there. They did not grow up yearning for '69 Camaro's. '70 Boss Mustangs. Or Hemi 'Cuda's. They grew up with Magnum and Miami Vice. And,what else was there to get from the Late 70's-80's and early 90's??? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! But.... Ferrari's, Lambo's, Few Corvettes, Deloreans, Porsche's, Bricklins, Trans Am's, Z-28's, Saleen Mustangs, ETC.....Start stocking up...I'm telling you....:)

I'm sure that the Muscle cars and Older Corvettes will always be desirable. But,not at the insane prices that they are now. Like,the Auburns, Cords and Deusenburg were back 15-20 years ago. Multi Million Dollar cars then. Some are still very valuable, but most are down into the $100-300K range now.

9. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    that '67 GTX Hemi clone went for $110k..see my post earlier on the other topic thread.......

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yeah,Thats going to be my Summer project. Churning out MOPAR Hemi Clones as fast as I can shove the engines in!.....:) Then,it's off to B-J next January....:)

11. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    BJ Auctions has always been more of a muscle car, 50-70's style auction. Why try to sell a Ferrari or other exotic when you have Monterey and other fine auctions that caither to the high end market. The BJ crowd gets excited when a car hits $100k, you should see it when it hits several millions in Monterey, no big excitement. A totally different crowd.

12. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    Funny, when I hit the six-figure mark on my over-restored '67 Hemi GTX, I thought I'm about as upside-down as I can get....I'll be buried in this thing....
    Now....not so much!

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'm sticking a Hemi in my 308....:)

Yeah,you are definitely right,Rick. But,think about this....You are a Specialty Car Dealer. You have some Friends who are also Specialty Car Dealers. You've got old Mopars and other Old Cars up the wazoo. Just sitting there,day after day. What do you do? You band together,and bring some of your cars to B-J. Then,you all bid super high against each other. Bringing up the prices. Then,next week,these things are practically driving themselves out of your Dealership...at astronomical prices. It can easily be done.

14. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I think you'll find that your 308 already has one Frank....

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    By what I have heard, 'ol Craig Jackson is not a fan of the Ferrari brand. I have been told that he does not spend much time selecting good Ferrari's that he allows into the auction - as he has little interest in how the market for them does. I have been told that he is "showing" some of his past "Ferrari type" associates that other cars are "better" - and the proof is in his auction results.

Now, my thoughts are that Craig is a smart guy, and a stellar bussiness man (he gets 16% off each car, and he gets a listing fee that can vary depending when you want your car to go through the auction! Genius!). I think if he could make more money from Ferraris in the auction, then he would. But... I have seen the types of Ferraris he picks, and they are not all good (did you see last years 512bbi with the chopped up twin turbo kit. Holy smoke (boy did it smoke). And how about that speed channel B-J car search last year. When the guys STOLE that 308GT4 for no money from the poor kid getting married. Geezz, even my friends ribbed me about cheap Ferraris after that episode.

He no doubt is a wealthy man, and he could afford to toss a few bux away just for spite... So... The naysayers could have a point.

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This one just rolled through tonight 1/20/06:

Lot# 969 -1985 FERRARI 308 GTS QUATROVALVE TARGA- Sold: $58,320.00

Seems like a nice strong number.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's a lot of money for a GTS QV.

Maybe I should throw some cash at my project car...

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats right.....Didn't we go through this last year?...:)...LOL!

No, I wanna put in one of those new 572 Cubic Inch "Crate" Hemi's with 1000 Horsepower. I want to make my Prancing Horse gallop....:)

(BTW....I am just kidding....but, it could be alot of fun!...:) )

19. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    You have a GTX Frank? A Hemi-clone mopar is absolutely on my list. Panther Pink if I'm brave. Plum Crazy if I'm not. :)

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    True. And, that was a "Gray market Car".

But, as far as Craig Jackson and Ferrari's go....Last year, when they were doing that Barrett-Jackson TV show. He would highlight a future,(in his opinion) Collector Car every week that anyone could afford now. And,one week he did a Black 308. He seemed to really like the cars and didn't say much bad about them. And suggeted buying one as a future collectible.

But, as I said earlier. It is SO easy to manipulate prices through an Auction. Naturally, you do need to have money to do it. And, a bud who does too. But, seeing some of the prices that have been paid for "mediocre" or not rare or particularly Special edition cars. IMO, there are going to be quite a few guys kicking themselves in the ass in the near future for paying what they did. There are too many out there. And,I am going by the prices that I see in such publications as Hemmings Motor News..."The 'Bible' of the Hobby for over 50 years". (As printed on the spine of each issue). DuPont,ETC...

Remember back in the late '80's when some Ferrari's were going for a Million Dollars. Even 308's were up in the $100K range. Then, they all dropped. Think about the guy who paid that kind of money for a car then the price just plummeted. Same thing's gonna happen here with the Muscle cars someday.

Don't get me wrong...I love old Muscle cars. I've owned Several very Cool ones,including a '66 GTO,'68 Fury III,'72 'Cuda,'74 Roadrunner,'67 Chevelle SS,'65 Impala SS, '701/2 Camaro,'81 Z-28,And 7 Corvette's. And,I love 'em all. But,I know what they are. How they drive. Etc...And,other than the really special ones...the Hemi's,the Yenko's,the COPO's,ETC...They aren't worth the kind of money,(to me) that they are going for. And,with the future buyers who never really experienced those cars,the Muscle Car Era,and the future of gasoline powered vehicles. Those cars will be Museum pieces, like the Deusy's, but thats about it. Way too many out there.

I mean,there aren't quite as many '55,'56,'57 Chevy's as there used to be on B-J either. The buyers are getting past that "Era". Sure, there are still a few "Old Timers" there buying the old cars. But not near as many,(Cars or Old timers that like the old cars) as there used to be.

For example. So far on the B-J auction. There have been 5 '69 Camaro Pace Cars. 5!! IMO,5 at one auction does not show much distinction. One would. How many '70 'Cuda's and '69 Camaro's can they show? All of them in the country?....:)

21. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    We need a B-J chat room. :)

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yeah, back in High School. My friends and I had some really cool old Muscle cars. That weren't all that old back then. Besides the cars that I had. One other bud had a '70 Super Bee. His bro had a '69 AMX. (and he subsequently owned a '68 and a '70,too. THERE are some awesomely fast little cars....:)) And a '70 GTX. We had 4 'Cuda's and 1 Challenger between 5 of us at one time. One guy had a '68 and a '70 Charger, and another guy had a '71 Demon. Man,we had some fun. The Elmhurst P.D. had their hands full....:) And,that was just our group of guys. There were tons of Gearheads in that town back then.

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 Michael B, Jan 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh yes, high school.

I had a 1968 440 auto GTX (Fastest in school - and I earned the title).
    In my circle we had: 1970 Plum Crazy Charger 383. 1970 Nova SS 350, 1971 Demon 340 (with 5:13 gears!), 1967 Charger 383 that we restored in body shop class. 1969 Z28 with a NASCAR stroker engine. Two 1968 Coronet 500 Convertible 383 cars (one yellow, one red). 1969 Superbee 383 in Lime Light green. Then I got my 1970 GTX 440 six barrel air grabber car with 4 speed pistol grip & a 4:10 Dana 9 & 3/4 posi. It was darn quick.

I also had two Hemi cars just up the street from my high school home. I would talk to the owners all the time. My neighbor had a 1970 Hurst Chrysler 300H (rare rare rare). Another had a real deal beat to death Full Comp Cobra 427 (just sold within the last year). AND!!! I drove by a Orange & white Pace Car convertible Camaro everyday on the way to school for years!

Now all I have to look at on occasion is this local gents Superbird (shown). He lives down the street & remembers me from back when I drove big Mopar Muscle as daily drivers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Sweet! Those old mopars are very cool. There's a green Super Bee on the block right now that'd fit the bill! Yikes! $200k!

25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Very Cool assortment! Man, I just LOVE those '69 Daytona Chargers, and '70 Superbirds. IMO,THOSE are the epitome of the old MOPAR Muscle cars....:) Definitely wouldn't mind trying to make one someday....(a clone) You can get all of the parts,decals,everything to make just about every type of Muscle Car ever made these days.

But, now that I've passed through the Muscle Cars, the Corvettes. And into Ferrari's and Italian Exotics. Seeing the kind of money that these guys are spending on B-J,to me,is good Ferrari money....:)