Autosport-International Show 1/14-15 | FerrariChat

Autosport-International Show 1/14-15

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jan 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #1 jknight, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We went to the Autosport-International - The Racing Car Show in Birmingham, UK this past weekend. It was fantastic. All the details of the show can be found on the website: www.autosport-international.com

The absolute highlight of the weekend was the 100 Years of Grand Prix Dinner and the display of the cars that raced from the first GP to Alonso's car. The reception prior to dinner was a "who's who" of the GP world; a Scottish bagpiper lead the way to dinner; continual slide show of GP's over the years; interviews during dinner; autographs and photos at dinner tables; making new friends at our table; and the list goes on . . .

As I recall there were 783 exhibitors, don't know how many total cars - seemed countless. It's a shame that many of those on display will never make it in the US - (I really like the Alfa Berea). The live action arena show was something else.

I'd go again next year. Below are some photos to start with:

Since we all are Ferrari fans, the best first photo can't be anything else but the most successful grand prix racing car of all time . . . Ferrari 500

I made some new acquaintances too -

More photos tomorrow. . .

Carol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #2 jknight, Jan 19, 2006
    GP racing began in 1906 - First GP car - Renault AK - 12 hours of racing around the full 64 mile Le mans circuit. The photo is a similar version from 1907 as the car was destroyed.

Below that photo is Alonso's car from 2005 - talk about major changes!

Next is Eddie Jordan's first GP car - Jordan 191

The Eagle-Weslake probably won more hearts than races! It has to be one of the most beautiful cars to have scored a grand prix victory.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    #3 speedy_sam, Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks for the photos ... but ... We want more photos!

Who were the other racing drivers there besides Schecter, McNish, Surtees? Seems like a fabulous event

The Jordan is sex on wheels ... awesome shape isn't it. Of course the Eagle is the best looking F1 car of all time closely followed by the Lotus 49.
    (IMHO)

I saw another copy of the Eagle at the Sears Poiint Raceway early last year

4. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    The Eagle at the AIS was actually the unique Eagle-Climax 2.7-L 4-cylinder from early 1966, which is normally in the Donington Collection.........still a great-looking car.

Seen in the movie 'Grand Prix' being lapped by Surtees' Ferrari at Spa in its first GP - but actually qualified third for the British GP that year.

Paul M

5. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
  6. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
  7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Paul,

Nice collection of pictures. Thanks.

John

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #8 jknight, Jan 19, 2006
    Sam - others at the dinner were Divinia Galica (downhill skier and F1 driver from the past), DC, Mark Blundell, Murray Walker, Tom Wheatcroft (Donington Park), Christian Horner, Louise Goodman - great time - lots of autographs.

Thanks for posting another photo of the Eagle!

Here's some additional photos:

Autounion D-type - 1930's
    F1 display
    F430 Challenge
    Lotus Coventry Climax
    Prodrive P2
    Virago
    Mecachrome
    Maserati 8 CM - 1934 - Nuvolari

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #9 jknight, Jan 19, 2006
  10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What a fantastic trip! You guys must be racking up the frequent flyer miles! :)

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. :) Looking forward to seeing you and John again soon.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Agreed! I love Ferraris, and some of the Lotuses were beautiful, but in my book the Eagle-Weslake was, is, and probably always will be the most beautiful F1 car ever built.

And one of the other photos showed my favorite F1 car from the winged era, the 1970 Ferrari 312B.

Thanks for all the photos. Now if I can only make it to Goodwood......

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #12 jknight, Jan 19, 2006
  13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thanks Dave and also thanks Jim for the comments! Yes, it was fantastic and short! Flight from DFW to Newark Friday was wx delayed and we were going to miss the Newark-Birmingham flight so we went Houston to Gatwick. Took Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station; taxi to Euston Station; Virgin Train to Birmingham International. Arrived at the NEC about 2 pm Saturday and left Monday am to come home. Almost got diverted to Tulsa if we were going to be holding in DFW area longer than we did!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon too!! Have more photos - will post tomorrow night.

Carol

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    beautiful pics, thanx for sharing. i like the Jordan very much. looks sleek and sexy

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thanks Brian! Agree with you on the Jordan. I still have a bunch of pictures that I haven't resized and I hope to do that tonight. I took quite a few in the live action arena that I might be able to post - it was fairly dark in there with lots of spot lights and other types of lighting. I have some of the Maybach Exelero, Ascari and more. I won't bore ya'll to death but do want to share these neat cars with everyone.

Carol

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I flew from Toronto to be at the show for the trade days on Thursday and Friday. It was a good show and I really enjoyed the 100 years of GP exhibition. My highlight was also the dinner on Saturday night. Meeting John Surtees was great and I was fortunate enough to have an extended conversation with Tom Wheatcroft; quite a character. The highlight came at the end of the night when I left and met up with Allan McNish at the bar. A truly great guy, we spent a little over an hour chatting about varied subjects and he was very kind to offer me tips at driving at LeMans (my goal in motor racing).

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We were at the bar after dinner also. We were around a table with folks from the UK and Scotland. We saw Alan at the bar - not seated far away. Did you see the "moving" chair???

We'll be back next year.

Carol

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Thanks for all the lovely pics Carol and John...

We need more enthusiasts like you to fulfill our vicarious dreams .. Wish I was there :)

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I can't claim to have seen the 'moving' chair. I spent all of my time at the bar with Allan and it was between about 11:30 and 12:30. After that it was off to the airport where my flight was due to leave at 7am.