Movie review: "Live fast - die young. The Jo Siffert story" | FerrariChat

Movie review: "Live fast - die young. The Jo Siffert story"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Jan 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I had the priviledge of watching that movie last night and it was simply awesome. Being a Swiss movie with German and French subtitles I doubt it will ever be released globally and/or in English, but those on here who understand German or French should try to get a copy when it will come out on DVD/VHS.

It is a 90 minutes documentary about Jo Siffert and his modest beginnings and how he made his mark to the top where he paid the ultimate price. Terrific footage from the races (including Le Mans) and some original 8mm footage shot by his mechanics. Interviews with his mechanics, friends and family. Terrific stories by his sister "he stole a car from Fangio and we went for a ride through the night".

So for the legend of Seppi, a great movie. But even more importantly I looked at it as a wonderful window into a world long gone: F1 in the sixties with all its lovely and ugly sides. A MUST for any F1 GP aficionado.

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy...

PS: The world sure is a small place: While reading the credits I realized that I'm a distant relative of the cameraman. Funny thing.

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #2 tifosi12, Jan 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    looks awesome, i wish i spoke the lanuage

4. Darthvader

Darthvader Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    new york
    I thought it was amazing to see that there is a document like this about Jo Siffert.
    I do have some dvds, and books about that era, particularly the endurance races, and I would appreciate if you could tell me how to get hold of this document.
    I do have a car from that period, and I know by reading about it, and talking to a driver from that era - Brian Redman - that it was a very exciting but at the same time one of the most dangerous periods ever.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My feeling is that this movie will sink into obscurity. Not enough people around who care about this stuff and being a small Swiss production I just don't think we'll ever hear of it again. Which is why I wanted to bring it to a bigger attention on here. I was actually lucky to catch it on its last night in a dinky movie theater in Zurich last week (it opened in December).

Anyway, I'm sure as soon as it gets released on VHS or DVD I'll get a copy through my friends and I'll post another heads-up here for folks with connections to Europe.

BTW: Enzo Ferrari is briefly in this documentary and there is also some interesting story about Steve McQueen's Le Mans movie: Siffert was helping Steve making the movie and was driving him around on a motorcycle. When shooting started Steve told his wardrobe people to make him a suit that looks like Siffert's. That's the reason why for instance HEUER Chronographs is a sponsor on McQueen's suit. Mr. Heuer himself was one of the first commercial sponsors in motorsport and Siffert was his first driver to wear the logo. Heuer is btw interviewed in the movie as well.

Emena, I'm thinking about going this year to the Brian Redman days at Road America, so maybe we get a chance to meet? At any rate, welcome to FChat!

PS: I think particularly our French Canadian friends on here would be interested in this movie since many commentaries are spoken in French: Siffert was from Fribourg, which is right on the language border between German and French and people speak both.

6. Darthvader

Darthvader Karting

Jan 14, 2006
    new york
    Tks for the answer.
    I did some research and found the site of the producer: www.hugofilm.ch,
    but they do not tell u were to buy it.
    Still I was able to see a preview of the film and a couple of songs.
    It just made me more eager to watch the whole thing.
    I will try other alternatives, like amazon.fr, but I doubt I will find it.
    Anyway I will not give up until I have it.
    I am looking at my schedule for this year, and I think that I could do Road America with Brian. Last year I was at Moroso. Where u there?

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #7 Miltonian, Jan 22, 2006
    Have you seen the picture of Siffert's fatal crash on TNF, where the car is sliding upside down at high speed with pieces flying off? Apparently he might have been able to survive the crash if the fire-fighting efforts had been successful. I didn't want to post the picture here, although you can't see Jo at all in it.

Would you want to have a major crash in a car like this? Driver safety has come a long way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't think the movie will be available for sale for another six months, but then I think it'll be easy to get a copy.

Blick's Roger Benoit did an entire series of articles about Siffert to accompany the movie. Including the crash. Yes, there is a good chance he would have survived if adequate rescue efforts would have been made. It is agonizing to see the car on fire and people running about helplessly without fire extinguishers. The movie shows the real footage.

The irony of his career is that he survived the hellish sixties and was about to enter the era where racing got a bit safer.

Anyway, Siffert notwithstanding the movie is really a golden opportunity to catch the spirit of racing in the sixties and what F1 was like, especially for a private team.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #9 tifosi12, Apr 8, 2006