328 won't start, unburned gas through tailpipe | FerrariChat

328 won't start, unburned gas through tailpipe

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Adeotec, Jan 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    After about an hour of driving I spent the last 5-10 minuets driving very hard. I made a sharp right hand turn (90 degree) at about 25 miles per hour, and the car stalled. I coasted a little and tried to start it with the key, won't start. Popped the clutch in second gear and got it started. Put it back in neutral and it died again.

When I try to start the car, unburned fuel comes out of the tail pipe and it smells heavily of gas. There was smoke coming out of the tailpipe as well, perhaps the gas was landing on the hot exhaust? The pumps all turn on and there are no mechanical sounds that seem out of the ordinary. Any thoughts, distributor perhaps? What would be the cost of installing a new distributor on a 1988 328 cost? Thanks.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Does the car start now when you turn it over? Or it doesnt start anymore?

3. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    I don't know if will start now. Unbelievably enough, the car broke down right in front of the Ferrari dealer. I pushed it into the driveway. The service department was closed, so no one will look at it until sometime next week.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Well well well,how conveinient! Hehe.Cool cool. Good luck next week. Let us know what they find out with the old girl? Cheers! :)

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Hmm. Normally, the fuel pump on a US model 328 won't come on when the car isn't running. It only comes on when you turn the key to start or when the engine is pulling air through the AFM. If it stalls, the pump stops.

Now this might be a wiring change on your car, or the safety switch wire may have come loose.

But if you have the pump running when the car is off in a CIS system, you'll get way too much fuel in the intakes for the car to start. Let it sit for a while and it will start after the excess fuel evaporates. (I learned that one after a series of system pressure tests where I was running the pump with the engine off.)

6. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    The car is now repaired. Some kind of debris got lodged in the air flow meter and it remained wide open. This caused the fuel pump to believe the car was still accelerating and the pump continued to pump fuel into the motor. This flooded the motor. Nothing was wrong with the electrical or any other part of the car. He cleaned the debris out, changed the spark plugs, cleaned fuel out of the motor and changed the oil. $600.00 dollars later the car fixed. Thanks for the responses.

7. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    One of the benefits of breaking down in front of the dealership!

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    New air filter?

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Hmm...debris picked up by the car in front of the Ferrari dealer? I say this is no coincidence!!!

Ken

10. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    MY thoughts exactly. One would think that the filter would catch anything that would be big enought to jam the air plate.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Unless it was a piece of the air filter itself that came off and got stuck! Just be glad it didn't make its way any further!

Birdman