Mondial Metric wheel options | FerrariChat

Mondial Metric wheel options

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kiwiboy, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwiboy

kiwiboy Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Berkshire England
    Full Name:
    Frank swinton
    I am a new Mondial owner (and new to this forum), I bought the car on the spur of the moment so I am just finding out about it...the wheels are metric and tyres ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know what wheels would fit this car so I can get a choice of standard non metric tyres? What other Ferrari models fit (as I believe 308s are a different size) or which aftermarket makes are suitable? What is the required offset, and hub size please? Hoping for help, cheers.

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    You can get replacement tires from http://www.cokertire.com or from tirerack.com

Most of the people here are ANTI-Metric tires. I believe in keeping it original.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Later 16" Mondial 3.2 and t wheels fit fine and keep the look if that's important to you.
    There are folks on this board with 348, 355 and 360 wheels on Mondials, in addition to some aftermarket. I've seen 512tr wheels on a Mondial as well.

Try the search function and you'll bring up some great options with pictures.
    Have fun and enjoy your car!
    best
    rt

4. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    #4 Dino 208gt4, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    BTW Kiwiboy,
    welcome at Fchat and congrats with your new purchase!!! :)

Enjoy the Mondi!!!

Please post pics and details of the car.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I just bought new TRX wheels for my Boxer from www.cokertire.com and they were cheaper than the 18 inch tires on my M5!

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Congratulations on purchasing the Mondial. Post some pictures when you have a chance.
    John

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have toyed with the idea of different wheels. Not exactly because of the tire/tyre cost but bigger wheels make the Mon look more upto date. However I still like the idea of keeping it original.

Whatever reasons and whatever you do congratulations on the new car and enjoy it. I can't wait for the summer weather (fingers crossed). Only bought mine end of last summer and not drove it much due to winter.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    My '84 Mondi QV came with the metric wheels. It's a Euro car. It had new Michs on it when I got it on the Ferrari rims. I use those for shows and club activities. I bought an inexpensive set of used Gotti 16" wheel and put Yokohama tires on for autocross and track use, and hard driving. I figure I can keep the "dress" wheels and tires in good shape for years, and if I use up the racing tires, they are not terribly expensive or hard to replace.

10. kiwiboy

kiwiboy Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Berkshire England
    Full Name:
    Frank swinton
    Thanks for all of the replies, how did you know what offset, hub size and PCD? to specify for the new wheels. I understand that if these dimensions are not right it can upset the handling. I would assume that the wheel would centre on the hub as well as being secured by the bolts? (I suppose I should take one of and see if there are any dimensions stamped on it)

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Kiwi-
    I have been going through this same dilemma with my Mondial. The proper 240 width metric tires are $460 from Coker--which is totally ridiculous. If you drop down to a 220, you can get real Michelins from Tire rack for $220.

The Mondial wheels have a large offset. Wheels from the 348, 355 and 360 as well as any of the non-metric mondials will fit. Also, aftermarket wheels for those models will work.

Here are a couple of threads to read:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51439

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32882

Birdman

12. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Off topic a bit but you might want to think about filling in your profile with a few more details...

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Birdman, just two weeks ago I bought a set of four 240/55VR-415 TRX tires from Coker for $360 each. They were delivered in only two days.

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hi: Do you know if there is any problem with the 220 tires fitting the stock Mondial Metric Wheels? They were made for 240's.
    Thanks

15. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    IIRC Philjay has Avon 220's on his Mondial

16. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    YIKES!!! I complained when I had to pay $200 a pop from tire rack.....

17. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Congrats on the Mondial purchase! It is a great car. I also bought my 1986 Mondial 3.2 spur of the moment a few months ago and dealt with the tire problem by buying a set of used Mondial "t" wheels + tires. I bought my car complete with original parts, so it is important to me that I keep the original look. I will let you know how it affects the way the car drives as soon as I have mounted them. Enjoy your car!

18. Satdiver

Satdiver Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    NSW Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Mumford
    Before shipping my '83 QV from UK to Australia I fitted it with a set of Khan RSR 5 spoke wheels. Rear tyres are Falkens 245/40/18 and the fronts are 225/40/18. The wheels come with an insert to fit the raised section on the hub and the center emblem fits with an adaptor. They fit perfectly and look absolutely awesome, its also easier to steer with the slightly narrower tyre on the front. Have fun with your Mondial.

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Sounds nice, you got any pictures?

20. Satdiver

Satdiver Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    NSW Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Mumford
    #20 Satdiver, Jan 21, 2006
  21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #21 snj5, Jan 21, 2006
  22. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Those F355 wheels look super. Nice update.

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That's fine if you are lucky enough to have a Boxer! The Mondial tires are 240/55-390 (not 415) and they are apparently the rarest of the TRX sizes, so Coker charges a premium for them.

Birdman

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I asked around and was advised against it.

I went on eBay and bought a set of 348 wheels WITH tires (Parelli P-zeros) for $1,000 and that was much cheaper than just a set of new tires from Coker. And I now have better looking 17" wheels that are easy to get new tires for. The only complaint I have is that the steering effort is higher.

Birdman

25. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Hello Robert. What make, model and size are your wheels? Also where did you purchase them at? Thanks. Doug.