Dino Exhaust | FerrariChat

Dino Exhaust

Discussion in '206/246' started by mal, May 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I need to get a new exhaust for my Dino. Does anyone have any experience of the ones available and which is the best.

I notice superperformance do one as do Tubi.

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Last summer at Monterey where the Dino was featured, T Rutlands had a truckload of Dino parts they were selling which included a stainless steel Anza exhaust. Looked really nice, asking price was $3k but I felt they might have accepted less.

3. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Sound expensive- Superformance want £550 ($1050) and Tubi Uk want £1125, ($2150)

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    True, but the anza was correct for a sho wcar and had the anza stickers and anza checkered sticker around the tube where the chrome meets the rest of the pipe

5. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Fine, I understand that, but for me I am not interested in a showcar - I prefer a good driving car.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have had both a new Anza AND Tubi on my car. The Anza is now in my basement, and the Tubi is in my garage (on my 246GTS), where it will stay. The reason? Sounds great, looks great, performs great, and gee, since I stuck on the Anza stickers, no one knows.

7. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I anguished over this when the original Ansa exhaust on my Dino rusted through. I ended up with a stainless Tubi and have been very happy with it. It's better than the Ansa, it sounds great, will outlive me, and it helps me resist the temptation to show the car and get all hung up with the anal originality madness that goes with concourse competition. I prefer to drive 'em.

8. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Bill, the owner of Sport Auto recomended and installed a Time Valve exhaust on my Dino. It looks and sounds great and was reasonable.

9. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    MAL,

I'm not sure if the SUPERFORMANCE provides any worthwhile HP/TORQUE gains or sounds great. But I have heard a sports exhaust from www.stainless-exhaust.com (on a Dino) and it improves the HP and TORQUE. It also sounded awesome- traditional Ferrari sound, full bodied, no hollow rattle/reverberation that Tubi is known for. I think it costs around £500. Plus they're not that far away from you.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The Stebro exhaust that I put on my Dino does provide some gain in HP, at least according to the Dyno we put the car on recently.

Plus, it sounds GREAT!! I was parked with 6 other Dino's at the Reading show, and everyone wanted to know what exhaust I had on the car.

Go here, for a listen.

http://www.pennphoto.com/pages/dav/dino_movie_2.wmv

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Has anyone tried taking their stock exhaust and having it ceramic coated, such as the "Jet hot coat" treatment?

12. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
    I had a stainless exhaust made to the same shape and dimensions as the original Ansa. Then I had the unit ceramic treated with satin black at Camcoat in Cheshire UK. With the addition of tape and Ansa stickers you cant tell it from the original and hopefully this one will last.
    Dave

13. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #13 lm2504me, Jan 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently purchased and installed the Timevalve Dino SS Muffler for the USA version. It cost me 1550 delivered to California. I am very happy with the original appearance, exhaust note, and lack of any popping in the exhaust when decelerating. The sound in the interior is not very loud due to the exhaust. With the driver window down, it sounds great. Note the exhaust tips are lower than the original, but look fine to me.

No modifications were needed to install the exhaust. I am very happy with the product.

I have attached photos of the exhaust before and after install.

I also replaced my fan motors and blades with new lucas motors for 78 MGB and Ferrari 4 bladed plastic fans from Mcann. One of my fan motors died.
    You also need new grub screws to lock the fans in place. They work great.
    Figure $80ea for motors, $50ea for fan blades, and $5ea for screw. I used a thin rubber strip to make up the slightly smaller casing diameter. I even obtained a used MGB wiring harness for the fans to splice with the original. This minimizes the wire hacking. Photo attached of fan/motor.

Richard
    Dino #03510 GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nice movie, Dave! But where's the girl who comes up and hugs you at the end?

15. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    I just love my 246 competition Tubi, the throaty resonance at 3,000 rpm just driving around town has everyone giving me the thumbs up. Best sound ever!

16. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    does the tubi fit a 69 206 GT?

17. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    gblue- I attempted when I bought by 69 246 that my car, an L-series, had 206 exhaust headers, and that Tubi did not, and I believe still does not make such (?too small a market?). If anybody knows otherwise, I'd be very interested!

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Love the Tubi performance on my Euro Dino and I find that the rear exterior panel does not get as "sooty" as my USA Dino.

19. FLYZDINO

FLYZDINO Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    Gary,
    At Cavallino ( great time!!! and the cars were amazing too) I asked at the Tubi Display and the head guy ( Frank? ) said they only make one Tubi for the US market and one for Euro, he did know of a competition version. Any insight?

Z

20. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    FLYZDINO, ordered my Tubi from Italy via Terry Godbout from Auto Classics in Cour'd Alene Idaho and when he asked about exhaust note " loud or less" I said loud! and when it came it was stamped "For competition only" but really the only time it is pretty loud is when you are really into it. It really has that Basso Profundo that you have always heard about. I had my son drive it away from me with instructions to take it to 4,000 rpm between shifts and boy its really amazing the sounds that little V-6 makes. By the way Terry told me when it comes it won't fit! I said whata ya mean it won't fit? He said welcome to the world of Italian sports cars, you'll have to fit something on it and I did. The drivers side pipe from the Tubi would not match up to my U.S. header collector (off a couple of inches) so we just cut it off and welded on a little tighter radius pipe and then we were sweet. Not a big deal really. I recommend it.

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I have a 1972 246GT, a US model. If I disconnect the airpump, will the Tubi manifolds be a bolt-on fit? I plan to use the Tubi silencer as well.

Also, would anyone be able to recommend a dealer in the US that can sell Tubi by mail? Many thanks.

22. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    abstamaria, if you have a U.S. car it already has stainless headers and all you have to do is get the Tubi silencer of your choice "street" or "competition" its all one piece complete with tips. One thing you can do to help your U.S. headers is bell out the flanges at the exaust ports with a die grinder, ponies to be found here. They purposely leave them smaller to create turbulence for the air injection. Yes take off the air pump and plug the holes in the headers.

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm looking for a Dino air pump mounting/heat shield, are you going to sell yours? Please contact me
    Scott
    [email protected]

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    If I were to switch to the European manifold, am I correct in assuming I would remove the intermediate flange into which the air injectors are screwed into (i.e the Euro manifold will bolt directly to the head)? The Euro manifolds are sold either as "M" (plane) or "E" (flared for 1971). Am I correct too that I should get the "E" flange for my 1972 US model 246?

Thanks for the advice, Gary. Scott, I will probably keep the emission parts in case I revert later; good luck in your search.

25. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Andy, If you are refering to the alum. spacers between the headers and the cylinder heads then yes, I left mine on and also belled out the head side for max flow. Mine is also a 72 U.S. car and I was unsure if taking them out might mess with the way they fit so in they stayed. At some point in the cars life, they air ports on these pieces were welded shut.