Tools | FerrariChat

Tools

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by classic308, Jan 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Working on my 911SC this weekend I realized that I am in dire need of some nice tools; I'm not looking for top $$$ tools but looking for "great value for the money" tools. Hopefully, I'll use these same tools on my F-car some day.

Suggestions?

2. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    you could always rent tools which I found some people like better....or lease

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    My Crastsman have been good to me over the years and have a lifetime warranty..

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Good choice.

Costco has tools as well.

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Lots of people will say one brand of tool sucks and another is the best. I never got that, considering that most reputable tools are very similar, and its the service and warranty that counts most.

On that basis, I have had good luck with craftsman tools. The best things about them are how easily available they are and the lifetime warranty. I also have snap-on, mac and others - and you know what? When I am taking out a bolt or wrenching on a nut or doing whatever else, I have never had occasion to say one brand was better than another.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Perhaps this may lead you to an option?

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you-I've been using Craftsman and have been happy but I'm looking to spend some serious $$$ on tools and was wondering if they were worth it or if there was a better alternative. Thanks again!!!!

8. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    you could take your Craftsman to Jacob the jeweler!!!

I thought that Craftsman was one of the best

9. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Yes, in a sense, tools are tools, but there is a difference. For example, you want your 10mm wrench or socket to actually be 10mm, not 10.2. These small variances lead to rounded bolts and headaches.

Yes, a lifetime warranty is nice, but it is also nice to not have a tool break on you when you need it. I think not having to use a warranty is much better than a lifetime of running to Sears.

10. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The coolest tool I have bought in awhile is the Gear Wrench box ratchet wrenches, I got mine at Sears as well on sale, I sometimes buy stuff at Harbor Freight but you get what you pay for there.

I wouldn't invest in Snap On or Mac unless you use them everyday, they are very expensive you can have thousands invested in a small tool box, I think pros like them because they can make wekly payments with them and they are guaranteed for life but many Snap On, Mac and Matco tools are made in China today as well so I don't think they are what they used to be in quality.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Craftsman is about the best way to go. If you want to be über cheap, it's amazing what you can find at pawn shops. A buddy of mine looks for used SNAP-ON items & then warranties them for new tools.

12. ahighland

ahighland Rookie

Jul 11, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My stepdad was a mechanic and had a mix of Snap-on, Mac, and Craftsman. Maybe a few Matco. I'd say it isn't worth the extra price for most of it unless you work with them everyday. I'd say go high-end with things like air tools, ratchets, impact sockets, and torque wrenches. Craftsman for most other things.

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Sounds like a sales pitch. Any data that Snap-On, Mac or others are really more accurate in their sizing than others? I would bet quality control is as good on Craftsman as any other brand when it comes to sockets an wrenches. Same on the breaking/not breaking part. As an engineer I am familiar with what materials the tools are made of and I do not believe that Mac or Snap-On or Matco or others are using substantially different materials in construction than Husky or Craftsman are using. But if the folks who disagree have any data to back it up, i am willing to listen.

14. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    Snap On and MAC are great.. but youre going to pay.

Craftsman Hand Tools are pretty much all I buy/use. I think they're still guaranteed for life?? Never had to replace them.

They keep going...and going...and going....and going .....

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Husky (Home Depot brand) compares well with my other tools (seemingly better than Craftsman, not quite as jewellike as Proto or Snap-on). With occasionaly promotions, they are cheap cheap cheap. Still, most of my tools are Craftsman, left over from high school, and they are still going strong.

16. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    If they are not broken, does Snap-on still replace them? I know that Craftsman used to replace broken tools. Don't know if they still do.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They did as of a few years ago when I last saw them. 3/8 drive ratchet broke in my hand, it felt like I was holding a stick of dynamite that went off.

Good sockets, crappy socket wrenches...the only Craftsman socket wrenches I haven't broke to bits are the 1/2 inch drives.

18. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Snap On are generally a little better overall. They are easier on the hands, the wrenches are slightly thinner than others for the same bolt size. (Actually important.), as are their sockets. They can take a bit more torque before stripping, etc. And they look really cool---but they are incredibly expensive and not the best price/performance ratio.

For the average weekend mechanic, Sears Craftsman are probably the way to go.

I have 2 large snap on boxes of tools, one with Snap On and one with everything else. The Snap on stuff is probably close to 20K in value while the other stuff is closer to 8k. In the end, when I work on my cars, I grab whatever is most convenient at the time.

In the end, the all remove nuts and bolts pretty much the same.

19. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I had a fairly expensive Craftsman torque wrench break. I went to Sears (tried 2 different stores) and was told that they no longer warranty torque wrenches (this was about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago).
    I left the broken torque wrench on the counter and have not bought a Craftsman tool since.
    As time passed and I've needed tools, I've purchased Snap-On brand. I'm only a weekend tinkerer but I like nice tools. Snap-On tools definitely have a better feel in my hand, no question there. I've yet to have one break.
    I had no problem with the Craftsman tools doing the job, aside from the torque wrench, but like the 'feel' of Snap-On stuff much better.
    Are they worth the difference? Personal choice.

20. turbo6

turbo6 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Unless you just want a really nice collection of tools or plan on using them to earn your living I would sabe my money and pass on snap on or mac for the standard hand tools. Something like a tq wrench might make sense to spend money on. I suppose Snap On and Mac are a little higher quality than something like Craftsman or Husky, but you pay a big premium for it. I have heard people say SnapOn and Mac are really financing companies as that's how they make most of their revenue and the financing is what appeals to mechanics, tradesmen etc..

As far as replacing tools I'm pretty sure Sears warrantys craftsman handtools for life. If you work a lot on the weekends your almost better off with the craftsman IMO and here's why. Lets say its 4:00PM on a Saturday afternoon and you break a rachet or wrench or whatever. With craftsman you can drive down to your local sears and have it replaced, but you SOL with SnapOn or MAC until monday and possibly longer.

21. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another vote for Craftsman. Good tools for a good value.

Mike

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you all; these will not be tools in which I earn a living-weekend tinkerer stuff. Higher end items like torque wrenches I would only use Snap-On, etc.

Someone on another board said the Lowes "Kobalt" stuff is good. Any opinions???

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I've got some of that, seems about the same as my Craftsman tools. Serviceable stuff. You can get a bunch of it cheap when they have promotions

24. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    An opinion is hardly a sales pitch. I don't recall mentioning any tool brands or providing a link in my post. Your inference is out of line. Attacking the messenger is an juvenile method to discredit the message. I'm not sure what I have done to you to warrant the snide comment, but it really wasn't necessary and didn't help to further the progress or spirit of the thread.

Since there seems to be some confusion, I have personally had bad experiences with Craftsmen. I have found their sockets and wrenches too big for nuts and bolts resulting in a rounding of the item. I have also had sockets break. That is my opinion and experience, not a sales pitch.

As for your opinion, I can't believe you have the nerve to base your argument on the statements "I would bet... and I do not believe" then insist others provide you data to back up their claims. From someone who starts their post with a completely unnecessary comment, then challenges others to produce, I would expect a far better effort on your part. At no point in this thread was it concluded that you are the authority and entity which must be convinced.

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I have a mix of Snap-On and Craftsman tools from the '60s, and there's not a whole lot of difference between them. The Snap-On ratchets are a bit smaller for the same purpose. The newer Craftsman tools are still okay, if not quite up to older standards. (As mentioned, they shifted to plain cylindrical handles which aren't as comfortable).

But be alert that Sears carries some cheap stuff too -- look for the Craftsman label to get the better tools. The cheaper tools are cast, not tempered, and will break very easily.

Where Craftsman comes up short is on the "vice grip" type tools. The Craftsman locking wrenches are more awkward to use, and I've had a few of the smaller ones break. The real "Vice Grip" wrenches from the '60s are still going strong. Last time I looked, Sears also carried the "Vice Grip" brand locking wrenches as alternatives to their own.

Ace Hardware has servicable tools for basic use, too. And the Auto Zone plug sockets do the job.

But when it comes to putting 300 ft-lb of torque on a suspension element, I go with the Snap-On or Craftsman stuff.