Historic Plates | FerrariChat

Historic Plates

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mhh, Jan 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This month's Unique Cars has the historic number plates SA [ 9] for sale for $250K. Does anyone from SA know what the going rate for single digit plates is? I've never heard of one selling in SA. I was offered [47] recently for $25K, BTW.

2. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Geeez!!! (trying to be polite here). I think i'd go for the 47 plate at that rate.

3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It would be on the money for an original Vic plate; but I think it would be way OTT for an SA plate. It seems that only Vic and NSW bring the really big bucks.

4. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Personally I think that would be the biggest waste of money imaginable, I mean who really cares about what plates are on a car?

You can buy a very nice car for that much money, like a 355 or 550 and still have some left. :)

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's an investment Dingo. But yeah, number plates don't ring any bells for me...

Although I was offered FF 308 for free....

6. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I disagree, Dingo. It is the best investment going. Unlike cars, they cost almost nothing to maintain, unlike art they can't be damaged and don't need to be insured, unlike shares you can use them. You are not buying the plate - you are buying the rights to the plate. I just don't have $250K sitting around this week! :)

7. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Last year NSW [18] made nearly $250K so NSW [9] would be worth a lot more. I do recall hearing of a single digit NSW plate coming up recently, but I can't remember what it made.

Edit: Here's some better info

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Tig/Minisite/Minisite.aspx?alias=carpointau&id=6822

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    When will you have it......... next week? ;) Hehe

9. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Sorry guys, I forgot about the investment aspect.

But is it a certain thing that the value will increase?

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thats the oldest "divert" in the book Scotty...

11. GTRMagic

GTRMagic Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Hey Mr Dee Jay....
    The woman who owns NSW 1 is on Today Tonight every couple of years, talking about how she has knocked back $1m+ for that plate....

Considering the old Falcon the plate sits on, $1m would probably go down very well in that household, regardless of sentimentality

I think the price mhh quotes is high... but that depends if you want to show the plate or not... imagine getting it levered off your car and stolen...

Can you insure a registration plate??

12. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If it gets stolen you replace it for a few dollars. You are buying the right to the plate - that's the case in SA at least. $250K does sound too high though, I agree.

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Huh?

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you run your own super fund, you can also buy the plates in that as a genuine investment. The plates are then supposed to not be used by any beneficiary; but you know how that goes....

15. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I don't even care about the investment aspect (I'm saving up to get the rights to a 5 or 6 digit heritage plate, hopefully by the end of this year). I don't think the 5 and 6 digit heritage plates are that much of an investment anyway (unless they have some numerical significance, which you'll pay for when you buy anyway). Up to four digits get good prices. For me it's not about that in the slightest.

I simply love the looks of the large plate with chunky white numbers. I think it adds the finishing touch of class to a car. It's the contrast of having something (visibly) old on a new car. I currently have a non-heritage 6 digit numberplate on my driver, and besides the black and white general issue plates (GAA-000 to ITA-673), heritage and non heritage digit plates are the only plates I would have on my cars. They look simply fabulous.

mhh: Go for it! It will finish your SE beautifully! :)

16. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    I can imagine they will go up over time when the economy is strong, but if theres an economic crisis, say goodbye to your $$$ imo.

hey Ding, how about we go to the RTA and buy a heap of plates for $395 and try sell them to ppl, ones that may be worthwile are

599 GTB
    GTB 599
    F 599 GTB

thats probably the most likely good ones to get at the moment. :p

17. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

That's also the case in VIC (not sure about NSW though).

$250k is way too high IMHO.

Get 125-250! Will cost you less and have subtle significance for the car.

My interpretation might be incorrect, but I don't think they're that great an investment as the prices are really high at the moment. It would be like buying in a boom market. Just my opinion.

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    bummer it wasn't FF 512 hey? that might have been worth grabbing

19. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I actually had this idea a few months back, my brother and I were going to buy a few......never ended up happening for some reason.

I'm just not sure they will actually sell, such a limited market.......and even if they do I have no idea for how much.

At the time I asked about [F430], [575 SA] and [E60 M5] - only the first one was taken.

20. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I suspect you are probably right. I guess they aren't the perfect investment after all. Still, if I could talk the seller down some....

21. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    I think there could be money made, but it is a very limited market, and a prety volatile sort of way to try and make money.

you could have a run and sell a couple for say $2k, but be stuck with 10 plates that no one really wants.

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Correct.

23. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well 10 plates would cost us ~$4000, if you sell only 3 of them for $2K each then we are ahead......

24. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    yeah, i couldnt imagine paying above the money for a plate when i could just get something else instead. alternatives i have thaught of for myself are

FERR4RI
    FERR4R1
    F355ARI
    D1ABLO
    D14BLO
    DIA8LO
    EL15E
    LOTU5
    L0TU5

Perth is not such a big place so therefore theres always an alternative.

However if i move to QLD at the end of the year, i dont know what licence plates are available there.

25. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    but i said you'd have 10 left over,

so 3 plates cost $1200, sell for $6000 = $4800 profit.

10 other plates cost $4000

therefore you have made $800 on a $5200 investment.

I dont know about you but that is not a great return on an extremely speculative venture, where you could just as easily not sell any

but maybee something like FERRARI may be OK, but im sure thats already taken.